Skip navigation

1343 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2010 9:16 AM by Legendary23
Legendary23 Pro 83 posts since
Oct 5, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 9, 2010 4:44 PM

Help with getting in the post?

Hye guys, i talked with the Coach of the Freshman basketball team, which is the team im trying out for and i asked what i needed to do better to make the team and he said to learn how to get in the post more. Any tips on how i can do that, i dont really know how to post to well i was just wondering what i could do to get possibly better at it.

Thnks guys!

• Coach Beez Legend 160 posts since
    Feb 4, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Nov 10, 2010 10:21 PM (in response to Legendary23)
    Re: Help with getting in the post?

Ryan

The key to posting up is gaining position before the defender has time to react. It's about getting the defender on your back, and then taking advantage of that position. Some players think that they can only post up on the block, or that they have to go directly to the block. But actually, a good post player is ready to get position anywhere inside the painted area.

What are you trying to do as a post player? Your goal should be to get position as close to the basket as possible, with your defender behind you, which would allow you to make a move without a dribble, and give you a shot that's much closer to the basket.

So, the painted area is where you want to post up, but HOW DO YOU post up. The first thing you must have is the love to create contact. You can't play the post if you are always avoiding contact. And I don't mean using your arms only, although arms will be used to keep the defender from coming over the top when the pass is entered to you. The most important asset you have as a post player are your legs and your butt. The legs need to be bent, your stance needs to be wide, and you must get lower than your opponent by bending your knees. This is the only way you can get your defender deep enough to the basket to make some easy shots, while at the same time, keeping your balance.

Think about posting up as the same as blocking out for a rebound. It's the same fundamental! When you block out and make contact, does your body stay in that one spot? Of course not! When your opponent makes his move to the boards, you are sliding your feet, maintaining contact with your butt, and not allowing the other player to beat you to the spot.

So, once you've established position and made contact WITH YOUR BUTT, you must then slide to the right or the left depending on if the defender tries to go around you to gain the advantage. YOU MUST MOVE YOUR FEET!!! Then the last thing would be to verbally ask for the ball, and show your teammate that you want the ball by giving him a target and showing an open hand.

Ryan, like any fundamental, the best way to perform it is AGGRESSIVELY! Aggressiveness makes up for a lot.

Yo, what up fools?: It's me, " THE MAN " , Zac Ryan. Even though I'm a cartoon character, I can still ball chump! So if you like basketball, then come check me out and read all my comic strips at:

www.zaciswack.com

I'm out.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points