Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2199002 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 300 301 302 303 304 ... 760 Previous Next
  • UO2811 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 11, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,515. Nov 11, 2010 5:31 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hi everyone,

I literally just stumbled on this website while I was looking to sign up for a 5K. I recently watched a story on Craig Deitz (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nJnNRM9tL4) and was absolutely floored and inspired by the fact that I can do anything and everything I put my mind to. After watching Mr. Deitz and coming to the conclusion that I wanted to really focus on losing weight and running a 5k, i thought I would sign up for one today and basically beat my body into submission to get ready for the race. I had no idea how I was going to do it or what the plan was and ultimately I would have failed if I hadn't stumbled on this website! I am not a runner by any stretch of the imagination. I just started getting into the habit of going to the gym. I am overweight but most of my friends and family are not overweight and avid runners (one of my friends just qualified for the Boston Marathon, which is AMAZING!!!). Sometimes, that makes it a little difficult to fight on when this is always how its been, I am the fat friend. Today, I want to begin to change that! I would really like to lose 50lbs by June 2011. So there it is, I have put my first goal on the table. In the long run I would like to lose about 75lbs. Also I would like to learn to run and run a 5K in 25 minutes. Any advice, help, encouragement and stories would be great! I have already begun to read this chain of replies and know this is a great place for me to be. Thanks for putting it together!

• CapnDonkey Amateur 22 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    4,516. Nov 11, 2010 5:44 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Ok, so after 3 weeks, my running hasn't really improved post-5k.  I kinda slacked.    So, I decided to re-start C25K.  W1D1...  And I loved it.  The feeling of setting and accomplishing a goal was just what my stupid brain needed to get excited about running again.  I hope the second time around is easier than the first, and I can take even more time off my 5k, but for now, I'm grateful for the structured workouts that my lazy @ss needs to get in gear.

So far, since August, I've lost 35 lbs, and 4 inches off my waist.  My best friend is getting married in Cancun in April, and I don't want to be the fat guy in all the pictures anymore.  It's gone on long enough.

Started training 8/27/10 - 357.5 lbs

Lowest weight in 2011 - 308.1 lbs

Post Injury weight on 12/15/11 - 351.4 lbs

Current weight 5/31/12 - 330 lbs

Goal Weight - 12/25/12 - 250.00 lbs

Major Setbacks - Willpower, muscle retention.

• revgum Legend 353 posts since
    May 14, 2010
    4,517. Nov 11, 2010 6:15 AM (in response to yogabudorunner)

@yoga : LOL, snot rocket mishaps are fun.. I've come to get pretty good at hitting a target, usually about a foot or so to either side and maybe slightly behind me depending on how fast I'm running. When things go wrong, they sure go wrong though.. those drippers that just never want to fully exit the nose and hang around waiting for hand collection, those are the worst.

@JKnow : Ah yea, son! That's how it's done! Congratulations, that's a most excellent achievement!

@ktface : Way to go on heading into Week 4, you're quickly passing through the intervals and heading right toward the long runs.. Woot!

@moonie : Where ya at girl? Hope all is going well for you!

@capndonkey : Hey, that positive re-enforced feedback loop of a structured training plan and frequent goal accomplishments are some secret sauce right there. Good on you for ending your slack-session and getting back on your feet! Woot!

------------------------------------------------

I got some really good news yesterday, my foot has just a strained ligament.. no brace needed or crazy long sidelining, just some time RICEing and NSAIDs for another week maybe. I'm to ease back into my duration and distance for running, just paying close attention to my body. I've got some range of motion and strength exercises for the feet and ankles, and will be good to go. Doc said he thinks it was just the trail runs, both having some stout elevation and fairly technical single track with rocks and roots and all that.. my feet were landing all kinds of different angles stressing out the ligaments. I definitely should have rested instead of going hiking the day afterwards too.. so to this end, I'm feeling like I dodged a bullet and learned a good lesson.

Oh yea, also saw a new number on the scale.. 239. Down 86lbs since February, very nearly out of the "obese" category on the BMI scale (which is hogwash anyway!).. and I don't remember the last time I was in the 230s.. probably even before highschool!

Good running to you all, go get it!

revgum @ RunKeeper / Facebook / Blog

325lb @ 2/1/2010 to 211lb @ 7/4/2011

Race History

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    4,518. Nov 11, 2010 6:18 AM (in response to revgum)

@gpalomino, welcome.  Sorry to hear about your foot and sorry I can't offer any advice.

@U02811, welcome and congrats on taking the first step.   Great that you are setting a goal, now it is time to figure out how to achieve it, and you can achieve it.  Take a look at some of the signatures around here, some of these folks have made amazing changes to themselves.  Do you have a plan for making it happen?  Many (most?) of the folks here have done the Couch to 5k program.  I'm in week 7 and it has drastically changed my view of running.  It gives you a fairly easy start to running and keeps the goals obtainable.  Good luck and keep us posted.

@ktface, congrats on moving into week 4.  Keep up the good work.

@CapnDonkey, glad you are getting back on the path.  Why did you decide to restart C25k instead of something like the OHR or Gateway to 8k?  Just curious.

@revgum, so glad to hear that it wasn't anything more serious.  Take care of it and don't push to get back on the trail until you are healed up.  I know it's difficult, that 4 or 5 days I had to take off a couple weeks ago had me chomping at the bit to get back on track.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

Oct 18, 2010
    4,519. Nov 11, 2010 6:18 AM (in response to revgum)

Great job with the weight loss, rev!  Love seeing that scale needle go further and further down!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4,520. Nov 11, 2010 6:28 AM (in response to gpalomino)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club! - New member

welcome to the club and hope your foot heals soon so you can get back to jogging

Oct 18, 2010
    4,521. Nov 11, 2010 6:51 AM (in response to gdsmit1)

@gdsmit1:  The first time I did C25K was before my car accident in April, and I never finished due to injuries sustained.  I made it to W4D2, and was still really slow.  By the time I healed and was released from Therapy, I only had the end of August and September to prepare for my first 5k, which was 10/16/10, notwithstanding the weight I gained being hurt and immobile all summer.  I still ran it in 42:02, which was great, considering that my training was jog until I was exhausted (quickly) and walk until I could jog again.  Not the best training plan, I know.  Post-race, I would do my warm up walks and then jog at a steady pace, walk a bit, and jog some more until my 45 minutes or an hour was up.  I wasn't excited about the runs so I didn't push myself, and I skipped a few runs here and there.  I was worried I would start to gain weight back, so I needed a change.  I decided to re-start C25K from scratch, hoping it would re-ignite my passion, or at the very least, give me the structure that I so need to keep focused.  W1D1 is in the books, and I am giddy thinking about W1D2.  But you can believe I'll be driving extra carefully when I get to W4D3!  I will be checking my rear-view to make sure no one's barrelling into my car. 

• Travis Colby Pro 193 posts since
    Jul 9, 2010
    4,522. Nov 11, 2010 7:06 AM (in response to UO2811)

@U02811 - Congrats on making the commitment and welcome!  The goals you have set are definitely achievable and all of us here will be more than happy to help you along the way.  Everyone here has done things a little differently and we will all have different advice for you, so hopefully you will be able to find what works for you.  Feel free to check out my blog.  I have been keeping daily entries since January 1 when I weighed 325 pounds and there are many details about the problems and successes I have had along the way and they might help.

11 month.jpg

-Travis C.

http://finallyairborne.blogspot.com

From 325 pounds to a marathoner in less than a year

First Marathon: 12/5/10 - 4:35:34

5K PR - 22:28

10K PR - 48:35

Half Marathon PR - 1:52:18

Marathon PR - 4:32:05

Next Race - Seattle Marathon, 6/25/11

Upcoming races:

11 Rock and Roll Marathon events in 2011

Ironman Coeur d'Alene in 2012

• B52Irish Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 22, 2010
    4,523. Nov 11, 2010 7:10 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Hi everyone:

I'm on Week #7 (Day 2) and very proud of myself for sticking with this program.  My question is about feeling slow as molasses!  After Week #2, a friend asked me to walk a 5K race.  I decided I would incorporate my workout into it, but ended up slowly plodding along next to her as she alternated walking/running.  It was a VERY SLOW time, but mentally it made me realize I could run the distance, even if I had to slow down to a slow pace.

Now I'm in Week #7, but I still feel excruciatingly SLOW.  The race I found in my town at the end of the 9 week program is a Thanksgiving tradition and a large race (14,000 plus runners and walkers), but it is about 4.7 miles AND the first mile or so is one long hill!  I am trying to be positive and open-minded - let whatever happens happen.  I am trying to do the hill at least 1X per week in my workout to build confidence.

Anyone else do a longer race at the end of this program OR have any thoughts about feeling slow as a turtle?

- Trying not to compare myself to anyone else's times...

• JKnow Expert 45 posts since
    Sep 14, 2010
    4,524. Nov 11, 2010 7:39 AM (in response to gdsmit1)

@ EVERYONE! - Thank you for the accolades. I really appreciate it.

@ The new & returning runners. I was never a "runner" before. I wrestled and was in marching band in HS. I barely made during the PRT runs in the military. I had never found something big enough that I would run from. Not until I saw the pic below of myself and the scale said "too much"

Everyone has to find the drive to start within themselves. Everyone here can offer words of encouragement and inspiration, but only you can run. It took me a lot of years to get to that point. Where I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I didn't do this to lose weight, it was more to gain LIFE.

@ WIDEGUY - Nice! That is cool.

@ gdsmit1, BBL, flamomof3 - What's next? I think I will stay with the 5k distance for the next 2 weeks. Reason being is I have the Veterans 5k this weekend and the Turkey Trot 5k on Thanksgivivng day. I will try to increase my pace a bit. Then B210k or OHR. I could pick up on week 3 OHR right after the Trot... I am contemplating Travis' 1/2 because that would be a cool bumper sticker (13.1)!!!

Like Yoga, I have aspirations of a tri. I am looking at some sprint distance one now. I can walk if needed, I can pedal slowly, but I do not want to drown. I have little time in a lap pool...

I feel like I can complete any one of these now. I found DRIVE within me. Who knew it was there all along.... Of course you all did!

So I awoke to 3" of snow this morning.... Hahahaha. I am sooo glad I ran last night.

C25k Completed on 10-NOV-10

Veterans Day 5k 13-NOV-10 time 33:32

Turkey Trot 5k 25-NOV-10 time 33:18

Nike+ ID: jknow

• wesyoung91 Pro 65 posts since
    Apr 21, 2010
    4,525. Nov 11, 2010 7:50 AM (in response to JKnow)

@jknow I hear you on the half training. I plan to start immediately after c25k. I don't know if I want the satisfaction of completing a half or just the bumper sticker more!

OH and CONGRATULATIONS on finishing!

St Jude Music Row Road Race 5K - April 9th - 41:50

Cinco in the Gulch 5k - May 7th - 40:17

10th Annual 5K Run for Family & Fatherhood - June 18th

Nashville 1/2 Marathon Presented by Hard Rock Cafe - November 12th

• BigBonedLawyer Legend 305 posts since
    Jul 6, 2010
    4,526. Nov 11, 2010 8:12 AM (in response to JKnow)

I "backtracked" to OHR.  I was doing my own thing, but it was harder to maintain.  Using Interval Runner to track my OHR progress is better for me because I have a visual representation of my accomplishments.  That and the idea of going back to intervals every day seemed strange.  I'm also adding an extra running day to the program to practice my 2 mile time just in case Jag comes through.  And I think running a faster, short distance once a week will help my overall speed.

Nike+ - BBL17

Tracking my progress - http://bigbonedlawyer.blogspot.com/

2010 Cobb Make A Wish http://cobbcounty.org/makeawish5k/ - 30:03 111/252 no walking

2010 Run for Justice http://www.rungeorgia.com/runforjustice.html - 28:10 no walking 105/343

2010 Sleighbells on the Square http://www.cobbcountybar.org/pdfs/Sleighbells%202010%20flyer.pdf  - 27:26 no walking 120/5xx

2011 Big Peach 5k http://www.bigpeachrunningco.com/ 33:00 after 4 months no running.  Walked about .5 miles total.

2011 Peachtree Roadrace  - http://www.peachtreeroadrace.org/ 1:11:00 on 3 weeks of training.  Finished in the top half overall.

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4,527. Nov 11, 2010 8:36 AM (in response to BigBonedLawyer)

When I graduated the C25k, I continued with OHR. I do run 30 miuntes 3x a week  and Sunday is my 4th run and the longest day to run.. I do 4 miles and increasing. I do this mainly for weightloss.

• IsabelleInSD Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 11, 2010
    4,528. Nov 11, 2010 8:44 AM (in response to Wideguy)

You have no idea how comforting it is to know that I'm not the only one in this position. I tried joining a local running group but felt like an ox among gazelles. I'm aware of the uphill battle I have in front of me, but I'm looking forward to not being exhausted all the time. This is especially important since I have a three year-old who is very, VERY active.

• irandamay Expert 54 posts since
    Aug 25, 2009
    4,529. Nov 11, 2010 10:33 AM (in response to revgum)

revgum wrote:

I got some really good news yesterday, my foot has just a strained ligament.. no brace needed or crazy long sidelining, just some time RICEing and NSAIDs for another week maybe. I'm to ease back into my duration and distance for running, just paying close attention to my body. I've got some range of motion and strength exercises for the feet and ankles, and will be good to go. Doc said he thinks it was just the trail runs, both having some stout elevation and fairly technical single track with rocks and roots and all that.. my feet were landing all kinds of different angles stressing out the ligaments. I definitely should have rested instead of going hiking the day afterwards too.. so to this end, I'm feeling like I dodged a bullet and learned a good lesson.

I've just been lurking in this thread for a little bit and came across the original post about that foot soreness, and was hoping there'd be a followup because I have been having soreness in my foot in exactly the same place for a month or so on and off, and it started after I started taking a bosu ball group exercise class at the gym.  Probably all that weird jumping and running and bouncing on and off the bosu ball that strained something.   Good to hear that you will be good as new soon!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...