Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

183956 Views 1,130 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2011 9:23 AM by tylerjiang RSS Go to original post 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 Previous Next
  • KayTastiK Pro 71 posts since
    Jul 6, 2010

Hey Lisa,

I've been a little under this cooler weather. I had to miss an entire WEEK of running. I had an easy run, felt great during the run and thought I was covered enough, but then I woke up with a lingering head/throat thing going on. I'm scouring the web (eastbay) for running tights and such. But, I can't shake this feeling that I HAVE to run tonight! I am trying to build a great base to begin real 10k training in the new year and I don't a little thing like 50-degree weather to stop me! Anyone out there with recommendations on how to run without getting 'sick' because of cool air in my face?

I wanna run!

Kay

-There is no fear in love, for perfect love casts out all fear...The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

KayTastic's life goal: to be fear-less!

1st 5K: August 28th 2010      5K Fun Run for Sickle Cell Anemia (32:29)

2nd (Next) 5K: October 9, 2010 Faison Market Day 5K [kay cancelled]

3rd 5k November 20, 2010    Reality Race 5k [sponsor moved race to March? Ran it anyway in 36:28 on crazy trail!]

4th 5k December 18, 2010     Ryan's Reindeer 5k (31:13)

Health Benefits Evidenced: daily excitment to keep running, lost 5 pounds, breathing deeply and more fully, back to sangin' (in the shower and car), and....happy-happy-joy-joy ME!

Jul 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,111. Nov 7, 2010 5:28 PM (in response to Ethe)
    Re: Starting C25K on Monday July 12, 2010 Who's in???

C25k is an acronym for the "Couch to a 5k" running program that gets a couch potato (non-runner) to running for 30minutes straight (or a 5k) in 9 weeks. It's an awesome program that slowly builds your physical fitness, your mental confidence and your love of running- one day at a time.

you should check it out if you haven't already!

-There is no fear in love, for perfect love casts out all fear...The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

3rd 5k November 20, 2010    Reality Race 5k [sponsor moved race to March? Ran it anyway in 36:28 on crazy trail!]

Health Benefits Evidenced: daily excitment to keep running, lost 5 pounds, breathing deeply and more fully, back to sangin' (in the shower and car), and....happy-happy-joy-joy ME!

• MoMeslo Expert 48 posts since
    Jun 29, 2010

Good description Kay!

I ran my last 5K of the season, I think.  Fall in Ohio is beautiful, but there is a lot of mold around.  For my mold allergy, the race the past 2 weeks and running outside, in general, has bee tough.  I was laughing to myself thinking that the first 5K I ran in August, it was 92 degrees at 9:00 AM  Today, we started at 8:30 AM and it was 34 degrees!  In parts of the area, there was 3 or more inches of snow, not at the race site though.  I have purchased tights and last Sunday and today ran with a compression mock t-neck that would wick away the water, covered in a long sleeved t-shirt and a fleece vest.  Of course, I wore gloves too.  My hands were cold for a good part of the run.  I was warm enough, but made sure I got into another layer right after the race.  I didn't have much fall out today, but when I ran on Thursday, my allergies went nuts!!!  Maybe today it was cold enough to keep the mold down.  Don't know.  I did have a bit of trouble breathing at one point and thought that I was going to have to bail out of the race.  But, I walked and calmed down and that seemed to help enough to continue.  The run was at the zoo.  I got to run with the cheetahs, which kinda made me laugh!  I worked with them, and I called them as I came around their enclosure.  So, they chased around after me.  They were fun!

I think I'm down running outside for a while.  Might help my allergies!!

Happy running!!

Jul 6, 2010

Thanks Mo!

I couldn't fight the bug... i went out tonight and ran in our (NC) 40something weather. Since my brain-freeze run last Monday (lost a week because I wasn't covered enough), I went overboard today. It was great! I had on: a headscarf and fleece hat; an "A" shirt, two dry fit t-shirts, a long-sleeved dry fit shirt and a heavy mesh basketball warmup jacket; some capri tights, bball shorts and bbal mesh warmup pants; two pair of socks AND some cotton gloves (wally world special!).

Was I hot? Not at all! I had a short 25minute interval run and I was ready to get back into the warm heat as soon as I finished.

Good news though...I feel great to get back out there and do not feel sickly at all. Yay!

Like you, Mo, I ordered quite a few pair of long compression tights, real runners gloves and headgear as an early Christmas gift to myself! Until then, we're goin' ghetto-fabulous! (makin it up and layerin it up as I go!)

Now, let's see how many more days I'm gonna fight this weather and run outdoors!

happy running all!

• tallgiraffe Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 12, 2010

Kay - do what the Japanese do. They wear a dust mask over their faces during the winters to keep from catching colds. I think it's a great idea! you could also get something to cover your ears.

I too have been hesitating with running this fall. I have bad allergies to the mold too and my antihistamine nasal spray causes me to dehydrate a little and so, just waiting for the leaves to clear before jumping out there into the cold again. Although this week it's warmed up some.

Began c25k on July 11, 2010

First 5k race goal: 8th Annual CPL Breakfast Run - Cranford, NJ. Oct 16, 2010 >> COMPLETED!

Second 5k.... still researching this.

• JBP-DVM Pro 72 posts since
    Jul 23, 2010

Hello all!

Glad to see Kay and Mo and TG and Lisa keeping our thread alive!

I ran my 3rd 5K this past weekend in our local deer dash.  I ran the 1 mile fun run with my son and 3 of my nephews.  That was a good warm up before the 5K because this was my first time running in cold!  It was 36F that morning and I've been wearing a tank and shorts up until this point!

I wore a pair of knee length pants and a pair of long pants, a running bra tank and an underarmour shirt.  It was the right amount of layers and my fingers were the only cold things.

Nice to run a small race because even though my time wasn't great I won second in my age division and got a cool trophy!

I ran 9 miles last Sunday and will do my last long run this weekend before my first half-mar on Tgiving day.  I am getting nervous about completing (longest run I have done is 10 miles) but am working on my positive affirmations and visualization techniques!

No speed demon here, just looking to finish happily and recover well.

Amazing to me that it has only been five months since I started this journey....

• Lisa9410 Amateur 38 posts since
    Sep 28, 2010

Hi to all!

I just read an interesting thread about running in cold, dark, winter weather. So far, I have enjoyed the cooler faller temps for running. I am sure the freezing cold of winter will be a different story.

7/5/10 -Started C25K

9/4/10 -Finished C25K

First 5K: Hoosiers Outrun Cancer 5K - 34:50

Jul 12, 2010

I'm going out on a first date this Saturday early in the morning. It will consist of running in the freezing cold (only around 35F). It's the first time I've ever done this. This girl has run in a half-marathon. So, I'm glad that I did the C25K to handle a running date like this. It'll probably be the healthiest date I've ever been out on. lol  I'm not really an early bird, but I'll make the exception here and figure out what to wear.

First 5k race goal: 8th Annual CPL Breakfast Run - Cranford, NJ. Oct 16, 2010 >> COMPLETED!

• huckie Pro 78 posts since
    Jul 15, 2010

I did the C25K in the middle of winter, you can do it. Canberra is freezing too!

I have just switched to the gym and I'm right back at week 5 in training, I was out for such a long time, the treadmill is sooooo much easier and it's nice having air con on when I'm running and the woman who brings cool wash clothes when I'm finishing is great too, I'm feeling very spoiled lol.

But in all seriousness I just can't get out to run if I don't use the gyms childminding service and so that is what I'll do.

I went for an awesome ride on the horses today, down the river in the sand, it was fantastic and with a horse that bucked about 20 times (youngster) I felt the positive affects of this program knowing I am fitter and stronger, I was able to laugh the whole way through it until the youngster calmed down

I'm hoping to be able to do my first 5k soon, now that I am injury free, I think I'm the only one from the group that hasn't run one.

Mama to 2 little people

Horse rider and now runner

Jul 23, 2010
    1,119. Nov 25, 2010 12:34 PM (in response to huckie)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO OUR C25K GROUP!

TG tell us how the date goes!

Huckie, glad to hear you are back at it and can't wait to hear your race report.

Today I met my goal of running a half marathon.  There were almost 9000 finishers at the race this morning in Atlanta GA.  What a feeling.  I'm amazed to think I finished.  It was hard.  Very hilly, especially the last 3 miles .

I was blessed to have a friend meet me at mile 10 and jump in and stay with me, and hubby met us at mile 12 and stayed for the last mile.

I'm creaky and I have two HUGE blisters and major friction rub where my sports bra sits on my sternum but I'm thrilled.  What a feeling.  To go from being a person who only ran if there was a bull or mean mama cow chasing me, to someone that finished a half marathon....it's crazy.

Hope you all have a wonderful day today and keep running.

Jun 29, 2010
    1,120. Nov 26, 2010 12:33 PM (in response to JBP-DVM)

WAY TO GO!!!  Congratulations!  That is a really great accomplishment.  We have decided to run a half marathon next spring, but I'm not there yet.  I'm just excited to be able to run a 5K.  Good for you.

Jul 23, 2010

Thanks Mo!  You can do it!   Read the book Running From Within.  Really good.

And I can walk today!    That makes me happy to feel like I will recover quickly too.

Jul 12, 2010

The date didn't go.

She got too busy with her PhD studies that weekend and then this weekend she's sick. I think the sick issue is because she's originally from Hawaii and her body is probably trying to compensate for these super cold tempertures in the Northeast. So, for now, I continue to run on my own. However, I managed to talk an old high school friend into doing the C25K. I ran with her on her W1D1 and she's sticking to it. She's slim and healthier since she works out often. Lately, I've noticed a change in myself. When it comes to dating, I find myself looking towards those who are also into running.

Today I completed W1D2 of B210K in temperatures below 40. It was nice. I was one of a few other crazy runners out there.

• huckie Pro 78 posts since
    Jul 15, 2010

Hey all

I'm jealous of all you've achieved I can't wait until it's me. I have been working on my core strength and it is coming along nicely and I have just run W6D2 again, it is a lot easier this time knowing I've already done it, I think I could probably run the distance now but I'll just keep building slowly, I don't want another injury setback.

So the plus side of joining the gym is I have had 2 strength training sessions with personal trainers, I've had a program written for specific core work and one for general strength and I'm thinking of taking a Zumba class in the morning but I'm still undecided. I really should do some of the classes but I find I am always shy to attend the first time (yes me lol).

TG that's an interesting observation re the dating. Were you into nutrition before you started this program and do you find that healthy eating plays a part in dates too?

Since I have started this program I eat a lot more healthily than I had and I have also added a fresh fruit and veg delivery (direct from the markets) which kind of keeps me on track and then those around me eat better as well.

Mama to 2 little people

Horse rider and now runner

Jun 29, 2010

Hi!

Well, I did my first run in snow.  The snow had stopped falling a bit before the run.  I found I was kinda looking forward to running in the falling snow.  Maybe Monday!  I have set a new goal.  I'm going to run a half marathon at the Cleveland Marathon in May.  I'll have plenty of time to train and prepare.  I found a training program that looks possible.  And, if all goes well, I should be able to run 14 miles by St. Patrick's Day!  We'll see.  I managed to dress for the 25 degree weather and hold up pretty well.  One lesson I learned is don't stop running to far from the warm building or car!  I walked a bit more than 5 minutes in the cool down and BOY!! did I cool down!  There is an indoor track at the gym.  It is 16 laps to a mile.  I'll feel like a hamster in a wheel, running in circles!  I can do the treadmill too.  But, that seems boring.  I'm hoping to run outside as much as possible this winter.

JBP-DVM-- I'm reading the book.  I can picture myself crossing the finish line.  I've just gotta get past the voice in my head that keeps telling me that my knee won't make it!  But, with training, it will strengthen and more weight will come off.  That will help the knee too!  Who knows, maybe I push to do the marathon, but I think that will be fall of '11 or spring '12.  I'm just goning to see how this half marathon goes, first.

Happy running!!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...