Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3919 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2010 9:30 AM by PatriciaThompson908 RSS
thoeting Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 3, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 11, 2010 11:38 AM

What if the C25k is too hard?

First of all, let me apologize if this has already been posted. I searched for quite a while and didn't find it. But I'm new to this forum so I'm still learning.

I've tried the C25K and I can't keep up, even from the first day. I can't jog for 90 seconds and then keep my heartrate in an aerobic zone.

I'm overweight by 75 pounds, although I've lost 25 in the past 6 months.(Down from 250  to  225)  I'm 49 and although my knees aren't bad, I don't think they are too good.

I do great on the elliptical, easily can go 45 minutes to an hour keeping my heart rate in a good area.

But I really want to run - it looks so pretty and simple

So, what do I do?

• PaulinWi Pro 117 posts since
    Oct 28, 2010
    1. Nov 11, 2010 1:01 PM (in response to thoeting)
    Re: What if the C25k is too hard?

Listen to your body.  The 9 weeks is a guideline, many people have taken longer.  Just strive for a little improvement each time, each week, whatever works for you.  Running is a journey and 1/2 the fun is getting there.  If you have to walk more than do so.  Keep with it and you will notice improvement over the long run.

Graduated C25K 10/29/2010

OHR Progress: Graduated 1/9/11

Hal Higdon Modified Half Program:Week 12 Done

5K:The Elf Run-Nov. 28th-31.32.03

5K:Run into the New Year-Dec.31-32.24.8

5K:Great Lakes Expo 5K-Jan. 30th-28.59.67

5KThe Big Chill-30.26-Feb.27th

Last 5K-Luck of the Irish Winter Championship-March 19th-28.45-PR

Platte River Half Marathon-April 10th-2:24:10

• Skiplady Pro 95 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010
    2. Nov 11, 2010 3:18 PM (in response to thoeting)

Congrats on losing 25 lbs, that's awesome!

It took me two weeks to get through the first week, but now i'm breezing through week 3.  I just ran the first few run sections each time, but I couldn't do all of them, I ended up walking through the last ones.  I also read somewhere to start out by just walking 30 minutes first before you start on week 1 with the 60 second run sections.  You could also try your own program, maybe just walking faster for the run sections, or start with 30 second runs instead of 60.  Just find something that you can do, but still find challenging, and continue to build on it.  You'll get there in no time.

I also think that I progress better when I walk or get on the elliptical on my off days.

Just have fun!!!

~Stacey

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Nov 11, 2010 3:35 PM (in response to thoeting)

Congrat on losing 25, I'm 43 and I used to walk every day and then started c25k. Good Luck

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    4. Nov 11, 2010 4:20 PM (in response to thoeting)

Congrats on losing that 25 pounds.  Must feel awesome.

As others have pointed out, the 9 weeks is just a guideline.  There are many people here that have done each week 2 or more times before progressing to the next week.  Just stick with it and you will be running in no time.  Starting is the biggest hurdle.  Take your time and move on when you think you are ready.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

• TKH__1 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    5. Nov 11, 2010 6:44 PM (in response to gdsmit1)

So, instead of jogging 90 and walking 120, I shouldn't feel bad if I jog 30 seconds and walk 120 seconds?

Also, I'm walking a 5k this weekend - very excited! I have no plans to run any of it, but it's for my school and it will be a pretty fall day, so I'll walk it and enjoy the ambiance!

• mcav0y Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 15, 2008
    6. Nov 11, 2010 8:20 PM (in response to thoeting)

Congrats on the commitment to an active lifestyle and the ensuing weight loss!  I started a "walk to run" class in September, which was different from the c25k program.  It is based on 5 minute intervals.  We started with 4min 30 sec fast walk, then 30 sec slow jog. Repeat that 4-6 times.  Book end with a 5 minute slow walk warmup and cool down.  Our routine was to do that for 3 days, take a day off, then increase it by 30 seconds, so the next few days would be a 4min fast walk/1 min slow run, etc.

After two months, I have found "my groove" with 10 mins run and 1 min walk for as long was I want to go (usually 30-45 mins).  I still do the walking warmup and cooldown.  Don't get discouraged; find the program that works for you!

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    7. Nov 11, 2010 10:45 PM (in response to TKH__1)

THK_1 - No.  You should not feel guilty if you can only run 30 seconds instead of 20.  The c25k plan is just that A PLAN.  Sometimes in life, plans have to be adjusted.  That is ok.  It is good to have a plan, as long as you run the plan and not let the plan run you.

If 30 seconds is all you can run right now, do that.  Then next week, run 45.  Then next week, 60.  Just keep increasing it until you get where you want to be.  Slow down the plan if you need to.  And DON"T WORRY ABOUT SPEED!!! There are many who run too fast, and then cannot run for the prescribed length of time because their bodies are tired. If you can run the 90 seconds by slowing down, the SLOW DOWN!!  At this stage of the game, endurance is your goal, not speed.

Have fun a the 5K

And to the OP, Congrats on the weight loss.  No doubt the extra 75 lbs is slowing you down and making it harder for you to run than for others.  Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.  You will do it.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• Persikka78 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 12, 2010
    8. Nov 12, 2010 4:54 AM (in response to thoeting)

Congratulations on your 25 pound loss - what a great jump start!

Like many others have posted, C25K is just a plan, and many runners repeat days/weeks as they need to. Also, there is more then 1 just "c25k program" you can try. I'm going to be having surgery soon for my knee, and found a much more conserative 28 week "c25k" guide to help ease me back to running when i get all the all clear. Maybe it might work for you? Here's the link if you want to look.

Conservative Couch to 5K Program

• hp5010 Amateur 17 posts since
    Apr 23, 2010
    9. Nov 12, 2010 5:11 AM (in response to thoeting)

Thoeting - I completely understand.  I'm about where you are with the amount of weight to loose and the endurance.  I found the 60sec run/90sec walk intervals too challenging. I wasn't able to run the for the 60 seconds and even ended up skipping 1-2 of the run intervals.  After trying that for about two weeks, I took a step back and tried 60 sec run/120 sec walk for about 2 weeks.  I also decreased my speed.  I use a treadmill and had had been running at 5.2 and walking at 3.6.  When I went to the longer intervals, I reduced my speed to 5.0/3.4.  Between the two changes I was finally able to run the full 60 seconds for all the run intervals.  After about two weeks, I found that I was wanting to run earlier in my walks and I wasn't huffing and puffing as much.  So, on Wednesday I moved back to 60sec/90sec.  It was challenging, but I ran every second I was supposed to run.

So, as the others have said, the c25k plan is just a guideline.  Adjust your speed and interval times to what works for you.  Eventually you'll get to where you can do what the plan suggests.

Good luck!!

Amanda

Re-started c25k 10/13

10/13 - 234.2#

11/3 - 231.2#

• emathena Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 12, 2010
    10. Nov 12, 2010 12:05 PM (in response to thoeting)

All of these comments are great!  The main thing is dont give up even if you decide to take a break and walk.  I have done week 1  three times and I really can see the difference.  I also see a big difference running on a treadmill versus running outdoors which I really can not do at all.  Either way, keep on trying and soon you will find a good fit.  If your interested look into the www.sparkpeople.com website.  Its totally free and there are lots of people on the c25k team that discuss how they make it work for them.  Many are starting out at a weight higher than yours and with time have become runners.  Good luck to you!

Eva

• TKH__1 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    11. Nov 12, 2010 12:20 PM (in response to thoeting)

WOW! Thanks for all the encouragement and advice! I sort of expected at least a couple of people to just say suck it up, you're too heavy to even try this, so lose 50 pounds then come back then.

Okay, so I'll just keep trying to alternate some jogging with some walking on a regular basis until it gets a bit easier.

And yes, I know for sure the extra weight is holding me back, I can't believe the difference from 25 pounds ago! Everything is easier already. But, I'm 1000% committed to getting in shape. My goal is to be 150 on my 50th birthday, not for any real reason other than it's just time to take charge of me rather than everyone else.

My new favorite song is "Just put one foot in front of the other...." and that's all I'm doing!!

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    12. Nov 12, 2010 12:30 PM (in response to TKH__1)

TKH__1 wrote:

WOW! Thanks for all the encouragement and advice! I sort of expected at least a couple of people to just say suck it up, you're too heavy to even try this, so lose 50 pounds then come back then.

Nope, you won't be getting that kind of response around here.  Take a look over at the 200+ thread and see what some of the folks over there have accomplished and how encouraging everyone around here is.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

• Kristy Burleyson Pro 62 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    13. Nov 13, 2010 5:23 AM (in response to thoeting)

What a great post - I'm so glad you were so very transparent.  I also worry that I cannot do this and have gotten caught up in the "what if I can't keep up".  I hate being at the end of the pack.  But remember, you are off the couch!  And 45 min - 1 hr on the elliptical?  That's fabulous as is already loosing 25 lbs!  The feedback I've gotten is to go at your own pace, while increasing when I can.  I pushed myself too hard one night (was frustrated with work) and am now sidelined for a week with bursitis in my left knee.  I'm learning!  I just turned 54, am about 20 lbs overweight and need to get active.  I used to work out in my early 30's, but haven't done anything in the last 15 or so years.  I want to live to a ripe old ACTIVE age.  I'm a nurse and see so many people alive but not living because of health issues and decided I do not want to be one of those.  I quit smoking about 15 years ago (about the time I stopped working out - go figure), got married and promptly started gaining weight.  It's gotta stop, and running looks so very good and healthy, can be done inside and out and can provide time to clear the head after a rough day.  I've decided to just race myself with a goal of walk/running a 5K in the spring.  That's 5 months or so away, and should give me plenty of time to slowly work my way up to it.  I'll make a deal with you - lets not look at what we can't do but focus on what we can do and the small accomplishments and improvements.  I bet before we know it we will be beyond anything we now think we an do!

Kristy in NC

• PatriciaThompson908 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 2, 2010
    14. Nov 13, 2010 9:30 AM (in response to thoeting)

You might want to check out Jeff Galloway's Run/Walk/Run method.  It's similar to C25K, but you keep the walk intervals instead of phasing them out.  I enjoy running a lot more now since I started using the Galloway method

www.jeffgalloway.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...