Skip navigation

15187 Views 27 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2013 11:27 PM by johnnydepp117 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
GarylDavis Expert 46 posts since
Aug 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 8, 2010 2:02 PM

Road ID-good or bad?

I started a blog regarding the ROAD ID bracelets since I recently purchased one.  I noticed that there are mixed reviews and some ignorance regarding our safety.  Please go to my BLOG at http://roadidreview.blogspot.com/

I don't see how you can go wrong by having one...but, then again who am I?

Curious to see your responses.

Thank You,

Gary Davis

• Moriates Legend 296 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    1. Oct 9, 2010 6:39 AM (in response to GarylDavis)
    Re: Road ID-good or bad?

I do not see what could be bad about a RoadID.  Information for first responders.  I say very good.

GREG C. MORIATES

Owner/Coach - LET ME HELP YOU ACHIEVE GREATNESS!

GCM Endurance

www.GCMEndurance.com

Team/Club Xtreme Multisports, Inc.

www.xtrememultisports.com

Blog: http://xtrememultisports.tumblr.com/

Become a Fan: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Xtreme-Multisports/117254468321101?ref=sgm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtrememulti

Sponsors:

VCRC Bikes | FFWD | Synergy Sports| SportMulti | Skins USA | Rudy Project | Athletes Honey Milk | Honey Stinger | Tri Life Gear

• BT.ROB Legend 272 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    2. Oct 11, 2010 1:24 PM (in response to GarylDavis)

For years I wore a small plastic sleeve on a lanyard around my neck that carried personal and medical information (as well as a bit of cash). I now have a Road ID, but often still wear the lanyard. Contact and medical information in jersey pockets, in helmets, in saddle bags do no good. You need to have the information attached to your body for first responders to find easily without hunting. Jerseys get cut off, bikes detached from riders (multiple injury cases particularly), and helmets are either removed or kept in place (for head injuries). Whether you choose to carry this information on you is up to you. I ride being very alert to my surroundings but still feel that I will go out of this world from an inattentive driver ("I never saw him"). I want my family to be contacted and responders to know that I am also an organ donor (if it's the end of me).

BT

• MotiveForcer Community Moderator 448 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Oct 18, 2010 1:55 PM (in response to BT.ROB)

Hi,

I've been wearing a ROAD ID for several months now.  I think it, like digital watches, is a "pretty neat idea."  Information should be on the body. I knew a guy who in a crash (no car this time!) was knocked out. He was taken to the hospital and over a day later he came to and they asked him who he was.  He remembered fortunately and asked if they had looked for his identification in his saddle bag?

George Hincapie was promoting a similar product lately as well.

To me "more information is better than less information."

Good point about ID in the helmet. I like the necklace idea. Road ID does a dog tag too.

HEADS UP!
    EJ

• Gotta Ride Today Amateur 26 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    4. Nov 10, 2010 7:22 PM (in response to MotiveForcer)

Been using the product for over a year now. I actually have a couple of them, one strapped to each of my helmets so it is always handy. Cannot imagine why someone would not opt to wear one. But then again I cannot imagine why so many folks will bomb the trails, greenways, and roads without a hlemet either.

Gotta Ride Today

aka Chuck Faulkner

Tazewell, TN 37987

http://www.jeffrothcyclingfoundation.org/

Jul 9, 2007
    5. Nov 10, 2010 8:35 PM (in response to Gotta Ride Today)

Since it is getting colder and I have yet to take my ID off since I got it last spring, I figure I'll keep it on during ski season too.

Safety on the slopes is as important as on the road.

Heads up!
    EJ

Jul 9, 2007
    6. Nov 10, 2010 8:43 PM (in response to Gotta Ride Today)

By the way Chuck, I looked at your website posted and noted the Three Foot plate deal. How long has it been in place in Tennessee?  I know they recently initiated it in Colorado.  What was the old statute that this replaced? Why was it felt that the old one was outdated or inadequate?

If here in Michigan, an attempt is made to change our statute to "three feet" I will argue against it.  I do not consider three feet to be adequate as a safety margin at all and am surprised to learn that other devoted cyclists do.  In my mind five feet is barely adequate.  I can reach out three feet, and in fact, when I was leading a ride summer before last and signaled a left turn my finger tip was hit by the mirror of a passing car that came around our entire group on a clockwise arcing road across a double yellow line.  Of course he was breaking several laws but for now I am happy with our law that stipulates that drivers pass at "a safe distance." More vague but it gives prosecutors more leeway.

Be safe.

EJ

• Gotta Ride Today Amateur 26 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    7. Nov 11, 2010 7:24 AM (in response to MotiveForcer)

Prior to the 3-feet legislation there was no statute in place. So 3-feet is a major step forward for us.   We still don't have the plate yet, but are working hard towards that and have to get 1000 pre-registered plates before June 2011.  Its our hope that bicycle awarness will develop as motorists see the plate while sitting at stop lights, etc.    I really believe its a cultural thing and no amount of legislation will be 100% effective. We still have motorists induced fatalities here (as elsewhere) and it is difficult if not impossible to get a conviction.  I am hoping there will be a concerted push to get bicycle safety and awarness fully integrated into drivers education programs, and significantly more coverage in the examination procedures.  As I said its a cultural thing and if you look at where seatbelt usage was 10-15 years ago compared to now its apparent that the changes needed to make our lives better are still a ways off.  Still I am optimistic that the small steps each year add up to safer road riding overall.  I am lucky in a sense that I live in a rural area where the traffic is not overwhelming and drivers are becoming used to seeing cyclists on the road. The otherside of the coin is that we still have a few obnoxious drivers out there to worry about.  That said there are still certain times of the day when it is imprudent to ride specific routes.  Just don't need to compete with dirvers trying to get home from work, or ride a route with the sun at your back during the rush hour, or ride 2 abreast because it is "our right".  I think if all cyclists adopted a concilitory attitude that we are actually "borrowing the road"  more motorists would willingly "share the road".   Great to make your aquaintance.   I'll be surfing this board a little more frequently now that winter is finally setting in.

Ride hard and have fun!

Gotta Ride Today

aka Chuck Faulkner

Tazewell, TN 37987

http://www.jeffrothcyclingfoundation.org/

Jul 9, 2007
    8. Nov 11, 2010 8:23 AM (in response to Gotta Ride Today)

Chuck,

You and I share a very similar perspective. I just read yesterday as a matter of fact that Michigan passed legislation to improve education regarding cyclists at the drivers ed level. I also hope it includes at least one test question on the drivers written exam.  It may very well but I have not seen the final legislation as of yet.  The League of Michigan Bicyclists has been instrumental in lobbying for constructive change. If only we could encourage more cyclists to at least contribute a nominal amount (instead of just complaining!).  I'm sure you know the drill!

This past summer a pal was passed, rather buzzed, by a pick up truck driver on a Sunday morning. He was caught at the light. The rider asked calmly if the driver realized he came so close at which the predictable, explitive stream came forth.  The rider was upset and ended up dropping his water bottle and when he went to pick it up the driver pulled over and intentionally hit the rider and then backed up and did it again. His ankle was smashed and required surgery and plates etc. He is one of the best Tri guys in the state and very well liked and mannered.  Anyway, the driver even admitted to the police who came and arrested him that he intentionally hit him, or at least intended to hit the bike.

So, the charges were reckless driving and at first Felonious assualt which was for some reason altered to Aggrevated assault and the driver entered a plea to the reckless driving and the assault charges are dropped. Here the victim has rights and is supposedly allowed to speak and I'm not sure why this obvious malicious and vicious attack is not pursued by the prosecuter. As I live in the district of this court I am about to pursue it.  I think this deserves jail time.

Heads UP!
    EJ

• AZBob1956 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    10. Nov 13, 2010 7:02 AM (in response to GarylDavis)

I decided long ago that the more information I can provide, the better I am going to be in the end.  After all, it is me that is important and how "safe" I want to be.  I got the interactive one and it allows the first reponders to have a boat load of information that I may not be able to provide.

I will never ride without it again.

bob anthony

• Anthony5450 Amateur 25 posts since
    Nov 17, 2010
    11. Dec 1, 2010 5:02 PM (in response to GarylDavis)

Gary, one post over a month ago? Not much of a blog buddy.

I challenge anybody to come up with one bad thing to say about Road ID. Just look at their site - Road ID - it's awesome.

Sprint Triathlon Training Program

Jul 9, 2007
    13. Dec 2, 2010 8:52 AM (in response to GarylDavis)

If anyone does go to RoadID's site now they will find a sale going on through the first week of the month. They carry additional products as well, and the price on their batteries are untouchable.

Be safe and have a great holiday season.
    EJ

• Joepucci Amateur 37 posts since
    Jul 11, 2010
    14. Dec 14, 2010 7:33 PM (in response to GarylDavis)

This is a  no brainier for me. After years of riding around without much more than  an expired drivers license. I realized that this was fool hearty of me. A  few years ago I was mountain biking in PA, leading  a ride with a few  friends. One of the guys, I'll call him Victor, lost control on a fast,  steep downhill decent. He made a mistake and got seriously hurt. He  wasn't able to tell us that he was allergic to penicillin or that he  underling conditions. Not having that information for medical personnel,  nearly killed him that day.

I wish he had a RoadID that told us  what we needed to know. That day, I had to call his wife and tell her  happen and close he came from leaving Us. I must admit, I blamed myself  for awhile, for not know what I needed to know as the Ride Leader.

On  the Road or on the Trail, I like having my RoadID on me. I hope that  know body ever has to read my RoadID because the worst has happened but  it sure nice to know I've got a backup plan.

________

Joe

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...