Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2232333 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 305 306 307 308 309 ... 760 Previous Next
  • ohiodad271 Amateur 14 posts since
    Oct 13, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,590. Nov 13, 2010 8:27 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Thanks for the great encouraging words on this thread, it has really kept me going.

Just finished W5D3, the 20 min run, I started slow so I would make it without stopping.  I must have been going too slow because I had some left in me at the end.  At 19 min into the run I kicked my speed up, and since I was going downhill I just kept going to the 22 min mark.  I amazed myself, didn't think I had it in me.  Hard to believe that just 5 weeks ago I could barely make it 60 sec.  Looking forward to going back to the intervals next week so I can really kick up my speed.

Now that I can run that long, I may have to upgrade my equipment.  Does running in New Balance 725s count as running barefoot?  I have not really had any serious leg or foot pain so they must not be too bad.  They just feel like running in flip flops with laces.  And my light sweat pants are getting to hot on that long of a run.  I have only lost a few pounds, but I have not changed my diet at all, so I will have to work on that also.

Thanks for listening.

Eat less, move more.

C25K Started 10/6/10

C25K Graduated 12/21/10

Lightning Bug Run 5k 5/14/11   39:25

• JKnow Expert 45 posts since
    Sep 14, 2010
    4,591. Nov 13, 2010 11:15 PM (in response to Wideguy)

So today was the big day... A culmination of running since April. My first 5k in the books. I felt great. I'll have to write up a better race report tomorrow or Monday, a good time and touching as well.

I didn't break any records but I did meet/exceed both of my goals.

1. Run the entire race without walking - Status - ACCOMPLISHED

2. Finish with a time of 35 minutes or less - Status - ACCOMPLISHED (unofficial time of 33:32!)

I didn't run with music today. I wanted to see what it was like. I know that making a change from training is bad, but I like the result. My pace was incredibly stabil, according to Nike+. The most stabil it has been outside... almost dreadmill stabil....

first run pace.bmp

I now have a pretty clear path of what I am going to do next... It coincides with my next goal..... A sub 28:00 5k!

To do this I am going to do C25k over again and add an extra long run day to it (run 4 days per week). So back to intervals!!! This time working on pushing the speed. Probably back to running each week with intervals twice again too, worked great the first time!

Turkey Trot is in 2 weeks.

All the best to each of you starting, and continued success to all those about to finish C25k!

C25k Completed on 10-NOV-10

Veterans Day 5k 13-NOV-10 time 33:32

Turkey Trot 5k 25-NOV-10 time 33:18

Nike+ ID: jknow

• donnamacd Pro 120 posts since
    Nov 4, 2007
    4,592. Nov 14, 2010 5:12 AM (in response to JKnow)

WOW!  PROUD OF YOU MY FRIEND!!  You have come such a long, long way, and  you'll definitely be around for, and be a wonderful example for that  bundle of cuteness in the picture.  Hugs to you - Donna

"You can't plow a field by turning it over in your mind." ...and you can't train for a race by thinking about it - you have to put in the miles.

• GunthorTM Pro 190 posts since
    Aug 8, 2010
    4,593. Nov 14, 2010 5:42 AM (in response to JKnow)

JKnow wrote:

So today was the big day... A culmination of running since April. My first 5k in the books. I felt great. I'll have to write up a better race report tomorrow or Monday, a good time and touching as well.

I didn't break any records but I did meet/exceed both of my goals.

@Jknow- CONGRATULATIONS!  Good job on your first race!  What do you mean you didn't set any records?  You set your personal record!  Be proud of it, you accomplished your goals for your race and set new ones.  Celebrate your victories, there are no small ones!

@Ohiodad- Awesome to beat the 20 minute monster!  A good rule of thumb for running is to add 20 degrees to the temp for dressing purposes, I am in NW Indiana and still run in shorts in the low 40's, I do wear a stocking cap and gloves which help a lot.  Keep up the good work!

@S1eddog- Thanks and yes I am very proud of both my kids, they are both great even with me as an example

4 mile run today so I am heading out to the State park for a trail run.  Have a great day

Not all who wander are lost.

Puckerface 5K 9/11/10 44:27

Haunted Hustle Trail 5K 10/24/10 49:06

Portage Y 10th Annual Turkey Trot 11/25/10 41:27

Foot Pursuit 5K Trail Run 3/5/11 55:41 (Hilly & Muddy)

OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon 5/7/2011 3:27:07

Nativity Fest 5K 6/26/11 43:34- 3rd Place Clysdales

Red Dawn 5K Cross Country race 45:46 DLF

Rotatary Ramble 8/13/11 45:06

Puckerface 5K 9/10/11 42:59

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4,594. Nov 14, 2010 6:26 AM (in response to JKnow)

Congrats on your Race!

• rah65 Rookie 4 posts since
    May 16, 2010
    4,595. Nov 14, 2010 7:05 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Hi all! I have to say at 223lbs (from 297lbs two yrs ago, and 312lbs my all time recorded high weight), I was feeling like a whale in the active.com site when I stumbled on your thread for 200+ pounds.  I've been reading and you all seem so supportive, I hope I can join in and lend support as well as receive it.  I've been working out for almost 2 years pretty regularly and did my first 5K (walking) in May '10 and will be doing my 6th on Thanksgiving (combo of running and walking).  I did most of the summer racewalking, but my job changed dramatically and I have to focus so hard on form to racewalk, I wanted to switch over to running so I didn't have to concentrate so hard to help clear my brain out.

Congrats to all on the accomplishments!  Exercise is hard work, but work well worth it!  I feel better than I have since I was a teenager and I have been overweight all my life.

Becky

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    4,596. Nov 14, 2010 7:17 AM (in response to rah65)

@JKnow, great run, congrats.  Hope the Turkey Trot goes as well.  Cool that you are going back to do the C25k again.  I'm thinking of doing that as well once I'm finished with week 9.  I want to boost my speed a bit.

@rah65, welcome to the group.  Nothing but support happening back here.  There's a bunch of us doing the Thanksgiving Turkey Trot together, virtually, glad to have someone else join us.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

• wesyoung91 Pro 65 posts since
    Apr 21, 2010
    4,597. Nov 14, 2010 7:32 AM (in response to Wideguy)

I completed Week 3 Day 1 this morning. It was a tough run, my nose was stuffy so I had a hard time getting all the air I needed. But I finished every interval. Week three is important to me because it is the week that I have always quit on. Well, I just knocked the first day out so it is on to the next one tuesday.

Happy Trails Everyone!

-Wes

St Jude Music Row Road Race 5K - April 9th - 41:50

Cinco in the Gulch 5k - May 7th - 40:17

10th Annual 5K Run for Family & Fatherhood - June 18th

Nashville 1/2 Marathon Presented by Hard Rock Cafe - November 12th

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    4,598. Nov 14, 2010 10:05 AM (in response to wesyoung91)

@wesyoung, congrats on finishing that run.  Just stick with it and finish off the week.

--------------------------------------------------

I'm very disappointed with myself.  W7D3, it killed me.  I did the other trail that's a little flatter than my usual trail.  But I had to walk 3 times.  I'm thinking that I will step back and do some earlier weeks again.  I'm thinking that I'll go back to week 5 or 6.  I'm just not finishing my longer runs like I need to.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

• GunthorTM Pro 190 posts since
    Aug 8, 2010
    4,599. Nov 14, 2010 11:29 AM (in response to Wideguy)

I had a great run today!  I ran the trails today for Revgum since he is on forced rest  The weather is fabulous for November in NW Indiana, I did trail 10 at Indiana Dunes state park, saw quite a few people out this morning enjoying park and weather.  The run felt so good that I was able to run my last mile faster than my other three and I could have continued running but my plan called for four miles today and my daughter had a basketball game at noon so I finished strong and then even stretched a little afterwards.  My last two runs have so good that they completely eliminate the lower quality runs I have been having lately and I am seeing an increase in my speed and endurance and I am even *gasp* enjoying my runs

Not all who wander are lost.

Puckerface 5K 9/11/10 44:27

Haunted Hustle Trail 5K 10/24/10 49:06

Portage Y 10th Annual Turkey Trot 11/25/10 41:27

Foot Pursuit 5K Trail Run 3/5/11 55:41 (Hilly & Muddy)

OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon 5/7/2011 3:27:07

Nativity Fest 5K 6/26/11 43:34- 3rd Place Clysdales

Red Dawn 5K Cross Country race 45:46 DLF

Rotatary Ramble 8/13/11 45:06

Puckerface 5K 9/10/11 42:59

• musicteacher29 Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 3, 2010
    4,600. Nov 14, 2010 12:02 PM (in response to JKnow)

Congratulations Judson on your first 5k!!! Great work!

Welcome to all new-comers and weight loss losers!

So my race yesterday went pretty well.  I still started out fast-damn that adrenaline.  I checked my watch at mile marker 1 and 2 and was doing a 10min/mile.  My pace was still around my usual towards the end- shortened it by a few seconds (woo-hoo).  I took two days off from running before this race and I don't know if I would do that again.  I didn't run Thursday and instead did a spinning class and Friday I did an hour long Hot Yoga class.  Saturday morning I felt good for the run, but towards the end of the run I was HOT (it was warm out) and I was getting tired.  I thought maybe had I run on Thursday and just taken Friday off (no Hot Yoga), that may have been better- plus my stomach was all sorts of messed up after the race.  Perhaps a result of dehydration from the Hot Yoga class the night before? - even though I drank a lot that night knowing that I lost H2O during the class.

The run was along the waterfront so that was nice, except for this one steep hill between mile 2.5/3.  I ran up it though.  I feel like if I don't run the whole thing I am cheating myself and I have to say that I get a little annoyed at (thin) walkers.  This one young couple kept running past me, then walking. They did that a few times and then they finally committed to running the rest of the race at around mile 3.5!  They even looked back at me- was I their gauge?  It just irratated me- I could have walked up that steep hill too and saved some energy, but I didn't- and then they passed me.  I am wondering if there is something to their way of playing?

So for the past two weeks now I have said I will take a break from races, but then another comes up.  I have to say that I feel like if I don't have one to work towards that I will not have the drive.  I know I will continue running, but I feel like I won't be as passionate and also come spring may not be that in-shape for those races.  So I keep doing race after race....I do think, perhaps, next week will be the last one till Dec.  too much family coming soon and the Turkey Day Holiday, black Friday, etc...

Today I am happily relaxing...football Sunday!

Rochambeau Ramble 5K- 10/16- 34:52

Love Your Body 5K- 10/23- 33:04

5 MILE Kent Pumpkin Run  - 10/31- 53:47

5 Mile (4.75) EBAC Fall Challenge- 11/13- 50:12

Hot Coco 5K 11/20-  32:28

Sweetheart Run 5mile- 2/12/2011- (INJURED)

Freihofer's Run for Women- 6/4/2011-

• Travis Colby Pro 193 posts since
    Jul 9, 2010
    4,601. Nov 14, 2010 1:03 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Some days, you just do something really, really, really stupid.  Today was my day.

I have been feeling sick this week and was questioning my ability to go on a run this morning based on the way I was feeling yesterday.  I woke up, felt a little better, and tricked myself into thinking I was fully recovered and ready for the 22 mile scheduled run.  I was not fully recovered.  About 12 miles in I could feel that this was going to be a bad day.  By mile 17, I had to resort to walking short intervals just to stay moving (for the first time in my marathon training  ) and at about mile 18 I turned around short, afraid that I wouldn't get home in one piece if I did another full loop and cut my run short (again, the first time I have done that).  I just about collapsed at home after 19.21 miles in a slow 3:34:12, more than a minute off my marathon pace.

Today really sucked.

11 month.jpg

-Travis C.

http://finallyairborne.blogspot.com

From 325 pounds to a marathoner in less than a year

First Marathon: 12/5/10 - 4:35:34

5K PR - 22:28

10K PR - 48:35

Half Marathon PR - 1:52:18

Marathon PR - 4:32:05

Next Race - Seattle Marathon, 6/25/11

Upcoming races:

11 Rock and Roll Marathon events in 2011

Ironman Coeur d'Alene in 2012

• irandamay Expert 54 posts since
    Aug 25, 2009
    4,602. Nov 14, 2010 2:12 PM (in response to Wideguy)

I managed to tweak my lower back on Friday... doing something as strenuous as having my foot crossed on top of my knee and putting lotion on it. So I skipped my bosu class this morning since it's still really stiff and decided to figure out where in C25K I am.  I guess I am stuck somewhere between W3 and W4!  I know I am beyond W3, but not quite to W4, as I was not able to complete either of the 5 min runs without a little walking.  I guess I will just keep plugging away at W4 until I am really at it!

Dec 14, 2007
    4,603. Nov 14, 2010 3:43 PM (in response to rah65)

Rah65, Welcome to the club, you will find a lot of support and advice from here!

Dec 14, 2007
    4,604. Nov 14, 2010 3:46 PM (in response to Travis Colby)

Travis, take care of yourself and hope you feel better soon! 

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...