Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2649 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2010 5:29 AM by Kristy Burleyson RSS
barbanegra Rookie 6 posts since
Aug 24, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 7, 2010 6:52 PM

Mixed emotions time vs place

When people (non runners) talk to me about racing there's two questions that I find really annoying: #1 what is the award,  what do you get for running that race? I could talk for hours about what do I get for running and I'm sure is not gonna be the answer they expect.

#2 What place did you finished?

Every time I race, the race is against the clock, against myself. Of course I want to pass the guy in front of me in the last sprint, but that's more motivation than competition.

Today, for the first time in my life, I ran a small local trail run 5k ( I don't run 5k's and I don't run trails) but somehow I managed to finish second overall. It was a fun fundraiser, a beautiful day and it felt great to run in the nature and specially, among the lead pack.

But in the other hand, I know it was less than 200 participants there and what's more important, I know my time wasn't a great time at all.

My point is, how do you explain to friends, co-workers, etc that place doesn't really matter unless you are an elite runner?

How hard to understand is the fact that some races have 25000 participants and what would be the difference between finishing 899 or 5211?

For me, is as simple as you set a goal and you make it or not, period!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,333 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Nov 8, 2010 7:14 AM (in response to barbanegra)
    Re: Mixed emotions time vs place

My wife and daughter always ask "Did you win?"   I always reply "Yes".  I ran, therefore I won.  They understand that.  the rest of my family, friends and co-workers all seem to understand that for me, and most of us, the race has little to do with finishing first, more to do with finishing.  I guess I'm lucky that way.

Len

Len

• Dreamstate Legend 278 posts since
    Dec 1, 2009
    2. Nov 8, 2010 11:31 AM (in response to barbanegra)

yesterday was the first time i discussed running with a non-runner.  i explained that i enter races to compete against myself. i try to beat my last personal record and i test my performance.  i train to prepare for races and it's something i enjoy.  that seemed to be enough of an explanation for her.

as for my family and friends, they understand that fitness is extremely important to me and running and overall wellness is just my "thing" so they don't question it.

Completed Races 2012:

Rock and Roll USA Half Marathon, 02:54:26 (1st run POST injury)

Cherry Blossom 10-Miler, 01:49:00

====================================

Upcoming Races 2012:

IronGirl Half Marathon, 4/29/12

Frederick Half Marathon, 5/6/12

Atlantic City International Sprint Tri, 09/17/12

Rock and Roll Philly Half Marathon, 09/18/12

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/13/12

Marine Corps Marathon, 10/28/12

ING NYC Marathon, 11/4/12

====================================

Personal Record from 2011:

Teach, Learn, Play 5k, 10/02/11 00:26:57 (PR)

Marine Corps Marathon 10k, 10/30/11 01:05:38 (PR)

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/15/11, 02:24:15 (PR)

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    3. Nov 8, 2010 8:26 PM (in response to barbanegra)

I guess I'm also lucky in that respect; my husband and son usually don't ask me where I placed in a race. I'm a midpacker, so they know that I won't be anywhere in the overall lead. They will usually just ask how fast I ran, which is fine with me since I run against the clock and not against anyone else.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    4. Nov 9, 2010 3:05 AM (in response to barbanegra)

Barbanegra,

I think your giving these people (non runners) to much credit to on the fact that they understand why you run. I would say if they have to ask those questions then they dont understand and never will.

You never ever should have to explain to non runner why you do it, because theres plenty of us on here that understand!!!!!!!!

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    5. Nov 9, 2010 5:26 AM (in response to silvereagle)

Dennis,

Very nicely stated!

• matnic17 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 3, 2010
    6. Nov 10, 2010 6:27 PM (in response to barbanegra)

Don't be so hard on the non-runners.  Be glad they are showing interest in what you do and use their "dumb" questions as a way to talk about why you run and what you get from it.

• PowerRuff Amateur 35 posts since
    Jul 31, 2010
    7. Nov 13, 2010 4:25 PM (in response to barbanegra)

Seems to be a common problem, my family does the same thing. I have ( so far ) been able to simply say that I did better then my last race and that I feel good for raising money for a charity that I believe in. Friends, I often find myself trying to get them to see the charity behind it i.e. kids cure for cancer run,raised money to pay for clean, safe housing near the medical facility, I told them about the little girl I met that was battling cancer and try to get them involved even if they arent a runner. Grats on being second!!

"SEA LEVEL IS FOR SISSIESBolderBoulder

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    8. Nov 14, 2010 4:58 AM (in response to barbanegra)

I get this a lot too. I try to stick to two basic themes. One is my time - so I'll say "I ran faster than my goal!" which is nice because you can communicate that you have goals.

Second, you can always talk about your race strategy. Sometimes I put emphasis on finishing fast or hitting a certain time goal for the first mile. So I'll tell people that, "I had a certain race strategy that I was able to accomplish, so I'm really happy with that."

Cheers,

- Fitz.

Strength Running
  • Kristy Burleyson Pro 62 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    9. Nov 14, 2010 5:29 AM (in response to PowerRuff)

PowerRuff wrote:

Seems to be a common problem, my family does the same thing. I have ( so far ) been able to simply say that I did better then my last race and that I feel good for raising money for a charity that I believe in. Friends, I often find myself trying to get them to see the charity behind it i.e. kids cure for cancer run,raised money to pay for clean, safe housing near the medical facility, I told them about the little girl I met that was battling cancer and try to get them involved even if they arent a runner. Grats on being second!!

I like this answer a lot.  While non-runners will not understand the need to improve on your past runs/times/etc, it seems to me most everyone should at least 'get' this one.  I'm a new runner and am interested in running 5Ks in the near future.   The realization that these runs could make money for a charity or person in need cemented the fact that I will do it - regardless of my ability or times.  It won't matter if I am on the tail end of the pack

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...