Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1520 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2010 5:32 AM by Kristy Burleyson RSS
wjsmall Rookie 3 posts since
Sep 4, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 10, 2010 1:22 PM

Tendonitis going on 5 weeks

Hi everyone,

I posted a couple weeks ago about a problem with my ankle. I was on week 6 day 3 of the C25K program, got home from a great 25 minute run, sat down for a couple minutes, and when I got up, had some pain in my left outside ankle. The pain went on for a couple days so I went to my pcp who diagnosed me as having tendonitis. He put me on 10 days on anti-inflammatories. I had minor swelling and no bruising. I have no idea what caused the tendonitis.

Fast forward to now, 5 weeks later. The ankle is better - I can walk without limping and am not in pain when walking or at rest, but it still hurts to walk downstairs or run. I can now stand on my toes (I could not do this before), but when I extend my leg out to the side and point my toe outwards, there is pain. I have made an appointment with an orthopedist for Friday, but my husband says I should not go, my ankle will heal with time, etc., and the orthopedist will just want to do surgery. My main reason for seeing the orthopedist is that I am still not healed and want to know what I can be/should be doing to speed up the healing process.

I am wondering if it is worth seeing the orthopedist or if that's just a waste of money. The ankle is better, but I am very frustrated that 5 weeks have passed and I still am not able to run and I still am experiencing pain on a daily basis. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Kristy Burleyson Pro 62 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    1. Nov 11, 2010 4:26 AM (in response to wjsmall)
    Re: Tendonitis going on 5 weeks

I would go.  There are many things that could be wrong, and many treatments that can speed the healing that does not involve surgery.  BTW, I'm an ED nurse and I'm heading to the ortho today for recurrent knee pain.  I'm hoping a round of steroids will fix my problem

Kristy

• Damien Howell Legend 307 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    2. Nov 11, 2010 6:25 AM (in response to wjsmall)

Take a look at this short article Who you going to call -- choosing a healthcare professional.  If the injury occured because of over use choosing a orthopedic surgeon is questionable.  Orthopedic surgeons enjoy doing surgery.  The first line of treatment for over use injury is not surgery, by altering the degree of use, and the manner of use. Take a look at Find a PT.Five weeks is not out of the ordinary for a Tendonitis/Tendonopathy.  

Damien Howell PT, DPT, OCS - www.damienhowellpt.com

• PSHA Amateur 2 posts since
    Apr 14, 2009
    3. Nov 11, 2010 6:38 AM (in response to wjsmall)

Take it from the Queen of Injuries. Rest that thing until it heals. You might want to find out what caused it. Look at your shoes, does your ankles cave in/out when you run, how is your form, are you doing too much too soon??

Ortho would probably send you to physical therapy first. PT can treat you and also evaluate your gate. Either way, it dosen't sound like a surgery thing, so get it checked out and be patent.

• Kristy Burleyson Pro 62 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    5. Nov 14, 2010 5:32 AM (in response to wjsmall)

Yeah!  I'm glad you went.  An ortho is much more than a surgeon.  If you ever find one who immediately wants to do surgery - GET A SECOND OPINION!!!  I saw my ortho for my knee pain.  It's bursitis - never knew that would hurt so bad.  I'm on steroids, prescription anti-inflammatories and knee cream.  No running for at least 5 days, but I'm feeling much better.  Glad you are too....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points