Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

63556 Views 310 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2011 11:45 AM by Skywalker88 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 Previous Next
  • Kristy Burleyson Pro 62 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    180. Nov 13, 2010 6:20 AM (in response to flamomof3)
    Re: Weight loss buddies

Well, this week I lost both battles!  My birthday was Wed and my MIL made her famous coffee cake for me.  I absolutely CANNOT resist it.  Plus I've injured my knee and cannot run for a week.  I found 2 lbs of that water I lost last week, but I'm down 2 lbs overall still.  I'm on a steroid dose pack and they always cause me to have an insatiable appetite so I better stock up on low/no point WW stuff this week.  Trouble is I crave the sweet bready stuff.  On the bright side, my knee injury is simply bursitis so I can start walking again Wednesday as long as there is absolutely no discomfort.  I can get on the elliptical if walking causes discomfort.  It could be much worse.  i just don't want to loose my momentum so I'll be on here a lot!

Kristy in NC

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    181. Nov 13, 2010 8:17 AM (in response to Kristy Burleyson)

I would keep up with the walking, and when it comes to desserts..nothing is off limits, I limit what I eat so if I had that after lunch.. then I woud eat a lite dinner.

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    182. Nov 14, 2010 6:50 AM (in response to flamomof3)

good morning folks,

i haven't checked in here for about a month

I have been EXTREMELY busy finishing up the end of the roofing season  work/rush.

I ran a Half Marathon 10-10-10 and decided after that I wanted to knock off 30# and 30 minutes from my next half marathon-------

i had a bit of a leg injury from the  half marathon---and with an extremely active/physically demanding profession- I couldn't  run AND work AND recover from the Half marathon-- so I haven't run for a month

progress so far?- I am down 7 # for the month-and today was my first day back running- just an easy 2 mile trot-pain free  AND medication free- but well wrapped in an assortment of ace bandages,shin warmers and knee braces!!!!!!

any how- taking it easy on the run right now-- pain free- but I can still feel a little something-some sensation on un-even ground

so- my self imposed 30/30 challenge- is down to  23/30- which is good news

by about thursday of this week I will have largely wrapped up my work for the year-untill late march '11 really-so for the next  3-4 months, running,swimming,weight lifting and WEIGHT loss will be pretty much my real job( during the winter i only work for money maybe 2-3 days/month

hoping to add some good stretches to my routine this winter- and  planning to start yoga classes as well.

Best wishes all,

stephen

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    183. Nov 14, 2010 7:02 AM (in response to SMARIETTA)

Oh, BTW gang,

I wanted to take a minute and brag about my wife.

about a week or so before I ran my half marathon-she met a new friend at a party who ran in a marathon as part of a relay team-

just an ordinary person like my wife

so my wife decided that SHE could do the same thing she just had to get started

so I hooked her up with the C25K plan I used to get started-we went out and bought her nice running shoes etc.-and she actually started

she was a little intimidated the first week-full of self doubt

i kept telling her to just slow down( slow cures almost all running ills it seems),-any how slow down and just work the program  1 day at a time.

ANYHOW- this past friday she did her W5D3 run- the dreaded 20 minute run?- in fact  she ran TWENTY FIVE minutes !

I am so proud of her I could just about explode

it's so great to see her self confidence rise and rise------  Before she started this 5-6 weeks ago she thought she could do it- but had doubts after the first week

now she KNOWS she can do it and while respecting the challenges- looks forward to them.

this morning she was out of bed BEFORE me) which never happens) and she said" c'mon today is your first day back running- let's go get this done before it rains too hard !

this from the gal who didn't "get" why I was starting my long weekend runs in august before 5:00 AM, LOL

we have been married over 26 years and she is more terrific every year!!!

Best wishes all,

stephen

• iamuneek Amateur 33 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    184. Nov 15, 2010 6:52 AM (in response to Skywalker88)

Oops, I forgot to post my weight loss on Saturday.  I lost 1.6 lbs. last week!  Slow and steady. :-)

Nancy

"I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free." Psalm 119:32

Started C25K: 9/20/2010

Wishes 4 Wags 5K 11/6/10 38:19

Powder Springs Polar Run 12/11/10 22:36

Restarted C25K 7/11/11

Run in the Son 5K 9/17/11

Restarted C25K again...9/23/13
    Upcoming:

Gobble Jog 11/28/13

Dec 14, 2007
    185. Nov 15, 2010 7:13 AM (in response to iamuneek)

Hello Everyone, I did my run on Sunday and I walked 4 miles this morning. I lost 1 pound so that brings me to 174

9/30  195

11/15  174

• Lola'69 Amateur 18 posts since
    Feb 7, 2008
    186. Nov 15, 2010 9:07 AM (in response to flamomof3)

Hi everybody! Congratulations to all of you who are losing! I wish I could say the same my self (sniff, sniff... ) I can't figure out why I'm not losing at all; if any, my weight has started to fluctuate "upwards"!!! I have been gaining one or two pounds to lose them again, on and off. What's happening??? I'm being really good at eating clean; it's true I haven't been able to exercise much latel, but even when I had completed my 12k I found I had gained rather than lose pounds. It's like I've reached a plateau and I am not able to get over that. So frustrating!!

• Lola67 Pro 69 posts since
    Oct 24, 2010
    187. Nov 15, 2010 9:55 AM (in response to Lola'69)

Hang in there Lola the body will do strange things. Are you drinking a lot of water? I read on another blog a couple ladies doing Weight Watchers mentioned that they went up too after they started to run. They were told it was normal that the body will hold onto more water for a bit at the beginning of running/working out.

I'm still stuck with a bad knee haven't been able to do much of anything for a week now....

Started CT5K 10.18.2010

Graduated 12.27.2010

1st 5K 01.29.2011 PR 00.33.40

Dec 14, 2007
    188. Nov 15, 2010 11:23 AM (in response to Lola'69)

Hang in there! I was at 178 for 3 weeks and then finally it budged. I don't have a thyroid so it's hard for me to lose weight but I'm doing it.(slowly)  My goal is to lose 5 pounds a month till June 2011. I think that is attainable. Plateaus can be hard but you will get thur it !

• Lola'69 Amateur 18 posts since
    Feb 7, 2008
    189. Nov 15, 2010 1:32 PM (in response to flamomof3)

Thanks ladies!! I so much hope it's something temporary, or simply water retention. I feel quite bloated too, for some strange reason, since my diet right now consists on salads, fruit, dairy and my morning cereal.

Lorna, now that you mention it, I am not drinking enough water, which is unusual in me. Interestingly, now that I spend more time at home, since I don't have a day job any longer, I'm drinking less than I used to. I guess I used to carry my water bottle everywhere with me and that was enough to remind me to keep drinking.

María, I think your progress is fabulous, and very inspiring. Truth is, it's hard to gain this battle to health, fitness (and good looks) when you're doing it all by yourself, which I guess that's why having some sort of support, even online support is so important.

Lorna, I really feel for you: I bet you can't wait till you can start running again, right? Well, I hope that knee heals fast.

• betsyblythe Pro 84 posts since
    May 8, 2008
    190. Nov 15, 2010 2:30 PM (in response to SMARIETTA)

Stephen

Yay, yay, yay!!!  So excited for you as well as your wife!!!  So proud of both of you!

Thanks for keeping us updated!!!

Betsy

Betts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Virtual St. Patrick's Day Run - Idaho March 17 - missed/injured

Beat the Doc Canine Run 5k in Eagle Island State Park  March 26 - missed/injured

Twilight 5k in Lewiston/Clarkston April 8.- Complete- 45  min

Komen Race For The Cure - Boise May 7- Complete 30 min

See Jane Run Half Marathon Boise June 18 

Fit for Life on   Boise July 9  

Dirty Dash 10k Boise August 27

Payette Lake Run McCall Sept 4

St Lukes Womens Celebration 5k Boise September 24

City of Trees Half Marathon Boise October 9

• NCHulk Legend 247 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    191. Nov 15, 2010 6:00 PM (in response to SMARIETTA)

Excellant!  Way to go, Stephen.

Arthur

"It does not get easier... you get stronger"

"Once I decided quitting wasn't an option, the rest was easy." - Michele

HARD WORK - DEDICATION!!!

Oct 24, 2010
    192. Nov 17, 2010 9:11 PM (in response to Lola'69)

Thanks Lola getting better walked for about 7-10 minutes today pain free when I first got outta bed....Yay! Pretty sure what I have is called "Jumpers Knee" booo!

Hubs finally mentioned that maybe running is not my thing, but I checked out the Chi Running DVD from the library and I think I will try that....

Bye for now!!

Lorna

Started CT5K 10.18.2010

Graduated 12.27.2010

• JAT1986 Pro 98 posts since
    Jan 22, 2010
    193. Nov 18, 2010 5:38 PM (in response to Lola67)

Hey all! I haven't been on here in a while.  I've really gotten off track, eating whatever i want.  I've gained 1.4lbs and i'm sooo happy it isn't more.  My boss (i'm a nanny) bought me a garmin forerunner 305 for Christmas (along with some other goodies) and i should be getting that monday.  I'm very excited to start using it.  I know it'll help me get back on track and now i can start seeing the mileage i put in and the calories i'm burning when i workout.  I plan to be on more often to note my progress and read about yours.  Everyone have a great evening

Azalea Trail Run 5k 50:52

Seafood Fest 5k 9/25 51:41

Azalea trail run 5k 3/26/11

Kaiser coastal half marathon 11/26/11

Oct 24, 2010
    194. Nov 18, 2010 8:00 PM (in response to JAT1986)

Wow that's awesome!! Nothing like some good workout goodies to keep you moving!! Let me know how you like your Garmin...(sigh of jealousy.)

Keep your eye on the prize = You!

Started CT5K 10.18.2010

Graduated 12.27.2010

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points