Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

35613 Views 207 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2010 5:12 PM by kdwoskin Go to original post 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 Previous Next
  • ccollin13 Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 30, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    180. Nov 5, 2010 8:44 AM (in response to kdwoskin)
    Re: Starting 9/27/10

Hey everyone, haven't checked in for awhile because law school is kicking my butt... however, I'm still keeping up with y'all!  I'll be doing W6D2 tomorrow, the last official day with walking O_o.  During week 4 I had to repeat a day because I was sick and my body just refused to let me finish the last interval on D2.  But I've kept up with the workous, despite the frost in the mornings, and I'm hoping to run a 5k at the beginning of December.

I couldn't BELIEVE the feeling I had when I finally finished the first 20 minute run.  It was truly incredible.  I think I ran about 2 miles (I do my running in a residential area so I'm not sure).  But it was AMAZING, I looked back at the last few weeks and thought... wow, I just DID this!  I'm in shape now!  I've never done this in my life and I finished!  It was so cool .

One thing I realized doing this C25k... once your body starts to get in shape, the rest is just a mental game. I do have some pain while running, mostly from my knees (yay runner's knee) but also in my shins, just from extending the workout.  But really, if you get your mind to keep your breathing under control, and you keep pushing yourself mentally... that's all running takes.  The physical flows from the mental.  How cool is that?

I've been wanting to answer some people but I haven't had the chance yet, so...

- to the lady who had teenage boys jeer at her... I'm also 5'6" and 145 lbs and you know what, we have a great body size We're healthy, despite what America says about women being tiny and flat bellied with no rolls... don't let those boys get to you, don't let them win, because you're getting in shape just like me and we're going to be so much healthier than them in the end!

- I'm glad the knee brace worked.  I also don't like depending on it, and I'm hoping some day to wean myself off of it, but for now it keeps me comfortable. And I'm only using it 30 minutes a day right now, three times a week, so I guess that's not terrible.

I think that's it... keep up the GREAT work, everybody!!  Your stories are SO inspiring and I think about you every time I'm out there running.  We can do this!! We're over halfway there, let's do it!

• kl1452 Amateur 18 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    181. Nov 7, 2010 8:57 AM (in response to kdwoskin)

I just finished up W6D2.  I ran outside and it was really chilly - about 45 and windy.  I had a lot of burning in my lungs and it made breathing difficult.  I'm thinking the treadmill may become my new best friend.  I have been coughing and wheezing ever since I finished.  I really do not feel ready for the 25 minutes yet.  I noticed the next 4 runs are 25 minutes so I might just try to do 22 on Tuesday and then try to add a minute for the next 3 runs.  We'll see how it goes on Tuesday....

@ccollin - Welcome back!!  I was the one who was jeered at by those silly boys.  I agree with what you said, it was just really discouraging at the time.  I think once I got over it, it almost motivated me more to keep going on the program.  So maybe in the end, they actually did me a favor!!

• hike2run Expert 40 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010
    182. Nov 8, 2010 4:51 PM (in response to kdwoskin)

Finished W5D2 today. Did anyone else find it hard to restart the second 8 min run after that long walk between? I think I am going to like the continuous runs better, but 20 minutes still makes me really nervous. At least it looks like the weather should be a lot better for that run! Rest day then 20 minutes on Wednesday

Hike2Run

11/27/10 First 5k Habitat for Humanity 36:47

• SacredCircle Amateur 30 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010
    183. Nov 8, 2010 5:00 PM (in response to kdwoskin)

Hi folks! After having such a hard time with the 25 minutes last week, I decided to repeat week 6 this week, since I have an extra built in for times like this!  So, today I did week 6 day 2 again.  I'm noticing that I'm not having as much energy lately-  I don't know whether my body is fighting the cold that my kids have had, or if I'm not getting enough sleep.  Going to try on Wednesday to do the 25 minutes again...  we'll see how it goes!  if it's too much, I might break it down.    My daughter is getting more gungho these days about the 5k, so I feel like I really need to get my butt in gear!! 

Sep 29, 2010
    184. Nov 10, 2010 7:20 AM (in response to kdwoskin)

I did it!  I did the 25 minutes!  Onto week 7, and no more walking!  Woohoo! 

Sep 27, 2010
    185. Nov 10, 2010 2:37 PM (in response to kdwoskin)

Nice job SacredCircle!!!  I did 23 minutes yesterday - you've inspired me to go for the 25 tomorrow!  I still feel like I'm quite a ways from the 3 miles though - I am right at 2 miles and only have a couple weeks left of the program.  I guess I will focus on speed once I can complete the time..not sure how that works...

Sep 27, 2010
    186. Nov 14, 2010 8:46 AM (in response to kdwoskin)

I ended up skipping my Thursday run because my knee was bothering me and didn't get back out there until this morning. I had an AWFUL run, if I can even call it a run...  I didn't even make it around the track once.  Everything felt like lead and I just couldn't get going.  I'm guessing this has to be some strange mental thing since I know I can run for at least 5 minutes!  This is making me want to quit!!! I am PMS so that also might be contributing but it was so discouraging.  I'm hoping I can get up enough motivation to attempt it again on Tuesday.  How is everyone else doing?

Sep 29, 2010
    187. Nov 15, 2010 2:28 PM (in response to kl1452)

Hello kl1425!  I've had days like the one you described....  I'd say just listen to your body-  maybe you're fighting something, or I also know how pms can knock the wind right out of you!  I'm happy to cheer you on as you  get back on "track"!!!  Don't give up!  You are worth this! 

This morning I ran my third 25 minute run in a row, this time on the treadmill.  It's getting easier, but it's still quite challenging, and I find that my mind really gets in my way if I let it.  I'm still very slow....  With warm up and cool down, I did a total of a 2.35 miles, and during my 25 minute run, I ran about 1.75 miles.  I guess that's progress!  I don't know how that  will eventually translate to 3.1 miles, but I'm feeling more confident from simply doing it, even if it's at a snail's pace. 

Have you noticed that a lot of folks have stopped posting?  I've read that this happens as folks drop the program when it gets harder.  Anybody else out there??? 

Sep 29, 2010
    188. Nov 15, 2010 5:53 PM (in response to kdwoskin)

So I took my son out of town to visit a University he is thinking of transfering to. I was forced to do my runs on the hotel's treadmill. BTW the workout room at this hotel was awesome. Anyway I found out I do NOT like running on a treadmill! I hated looking into the mirror in front of me and seeing myself as I run. I tried closing my eyes and concentrating on the music, lost my balance and almost fell off....

I guess now I really have to get some clothes that will allow me to run outside through the whole winter. Maybe if I used a treadmill more I would get used to it. Anyway I am looking forward to getting outside again for my next run. Not liking these long intervals. Thinking of doing another 20 min... should have one more interval run then the 25 day. What do you guys think? It seems hard to start running again after walking for more than 2 minutes...

Hike2Run

• firstcampgirl Pro 73 posts since
    Sep 28, 2010
    189. Nov 16, 2010 9:52 AM (in response to kdwoskin)

Hey Everyone, I have been mia for a while. I had a cold and i wasn't able to run for about a week. I am finally getting back on track, the weather is getting chilly so that is a bit of a challenge to my motivation sometimes. I am kinda branching off from c25k since I am now working to prepare for a half marathon. I am working on his run/walk/run method. I am finding that I am not so sore and I am not so tired after a run. I have only run this way a few times so I still have lots of time to see how I really feel about it. So far, so good. Glad to see that this thread is still going!

Newbie (wannabe) Runner

5k- Nov 20, 2010 38 mins

5k- Dec 7, 2010 36 mins

Snapple High Could Half Marathon 3:15

Half Marathon, Shamrock- March 20, 2011

Cherry Blossom 10 miler April 3, 2011

Warrior Dash May 21, 2011

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    190. Nov 16, 2010 10:21 AM (in response to hike2run)

hike2run - I am having a hard time busting through the 25 minutes also.  I have been doing two 60-90 walks in there.  I think I will hover at W7 for a while and see if I can break through.  Have you read any of Jeff Galloway's books?  He advises walking intervals.  I need to research it a little more though.

As for people dropping off a thread....every thread I have posted on has people that disappear.  In fact this is my second C25K program.  I had an injury, was off 6 weeks and started over.  My first time I joined a thread that had a about 20 people on it, they were all gung ho, and I know of only one person on that thread that finished the program.  The other 19 just disappeared!  Instead of posting they are having issues and need help or support, they just quit.  It's just too bad....

Melinda

• sanandkids Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 25, 2010
    191. Nov 16, 2010 5:41 PM (in response to QueenKitty)

Help Help Help!  I have made it all the way to W6D1, and now have some sort of thing wrong with my right hip.  It hurts when I get up to walk after sitting for a bit, it feels like I have to lift it to get out of our little car, every step is felt.  It doesn't stop me with pain, it just hurts when I'm walking.  I have taken a week off, but it scares me to get off track... i was just up to the point of running 25 minutes, now I'm scared it will make it worse.  Anyone have advise on a hip that hurts?  Rest or run through it?   I have read online and it seems to be most like bursitis, of course that is a self diagnosis.  I don't have health insurance and so have not made a trip to the dr.  Why wouldn't this have started in the beginning of running instead of 6 weeks into it?

Sep 29, 2010
    192. Nov 17, 2010 7:29 AM (in response to sanandkids)

sanandkids Your hip problem may have surfaced now because you are running for longer time periods with out a rest. If you are in week 6 then you just completed your 20 min continuous run. Not knowing where your pain is it could be sciatic, bursitis or even IT band pull. I know you don't have insurance but if the problem persists you really need to see a sports therapy doctor.

For now I would use ice and rest. Don't worry about getting behind, you won't loose all the fitness you gained in one week. But you will need to start at intervals again. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hike2Run

Sep 27, 2010
    193. Nov 17, 2010 4:00 PM (in response to kdwoskin)

So... after debating whether I should get back out there or not and going through every excuse in the book, I decided to give W6D3 another shot.  I ran the 25 minutes just fine only having to stop to tie my shoe and for about a 30 second walk in the middle.  I have decided to switch over to the distance part of the program instead of the time.  I was at just a little over 2 miles tonight so I am going to shoot for 2.25 for the next 3 runs, then 2.5 for the next 3 and so on.

@SacredCircle - Thank you SO much for your words of encouragement. I was really ready to quit and you helped me get back out there.  I was so glad to see everyone else was also still hanging in there.  I almost felt like if I quit I was letting all of you down!  I did not make it this far to give up now.

@hike2run - I hate the treadmill too!  If you look on the internet for cold weather running tips you will find a ton of articles on how to prepare yourself.  The one day I ran outside it was in the 40's and my lungs burned.  I read to wear a neck gaiter - not sure what it is yet but hopefully it'll help.

@sanandkids - I had some really bad hip pain around week 3 of the program.  I think mine was related to the surface I was running on because once I switched from the sidewalks to a gravel track mine went away. Where are you currently running?   I would definitely rest up for a week and give it time to heal.

Great job everyone.  Hang in there!

• aace2001 Amateur 30 posts since
    Jan 8, 2010
    194. Nov 17, 2010 4:14 PM (in response to SacredCircle)

I'm still lurking here. I had a MRI and they found  3 compression fractures 1 old and 2 new. I have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon to find out how/why they happened and what I can do about them.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...