Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3425 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2010 6:01 AM by Joseph Tree RSS
mrspeacock13 Amateur 14 posts since
Nov 15, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 15, 2010 4:56 PM

Shoes, no shoes, or five finger shoes???

So I recently read an article talking about runners and the shoes that they wear.. It was saying that the shoes we are wearing are actually causing more injury than good.. Not only that but that it is better to run without shoes.. How is the possible?? I mean if you think about it, rocks, glass, gum and who knows what else is on the road.. Doesn't stuff like that pose a problem for running barefoot??? How about these five finger shoes... Has anyone purchased a pair, if so how well do they work and are they worth it.. Just wondering...

In the words of Forrest Gump " I just felt like running!!!"

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again

Mrs.Peacock

Run for the Health of it 5k, 2009   28:36

WRAFB Museum of Aviation 5k, 2009  27:28

Run for the Health of it 5k, 2010   28:33

• karey67358 Amateur 22 posts since
    Feb 24, 2010
    1. Nov 15, 2010 5:16 PM (in response to mrspeacock13)
    Re: Shoes, no shoes, or five finger shoes???

minimalist shoes are the latest thing.  I "get" the premise and I believe most of it; but I'm not ready to buy the whole hog... yet... I have 2 pairs of the VFFs. (2 pairs isn't the WHOLE hog, right? lol) I have the Bikila for when I'm on trails, in the backyard (also woodsey/trails), and eventually running if I get there; I also have the classic for just wearing around.  I L.O.V.E. wearing these shoes.  They are initially odd.  After wearing them for a little while (like an afternoon) they seem so natural.  I wore them on the beach this weekend after my first half marathon and they were amazing.  I didn't get sand in them and I could still feel the sensation of the sand.  Wearing them while walking around in the woods and over rocks is like being a kid again.

I have found the first thing I wanted to do after a long run was be barefoot for the rest of the day.  With the VFFs I get a similar sensation w/o having to be in the house for the rest of the day.  I'll try running on the Treadmill with them in January, just to try it.  But I'm not ready to get rid of my favorite Adidas yet.

If you are looking for a new pair of "flats" to wear with pants, get the classic in black.  Someone has to actually LOOK to see they are VFFs.  If you get them in bright pink, you are just asking for comments :-)

Go try them on :-)  you might really love them :-)

< The "Performa" in kangaroo leather was TOO minimalist for me. >

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,276 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Nov 15, 2010 7:50 PM (in response to mrspeacock13)

There have been several discussions recently on this subject.  And it gets very subjective: lots of opinion; unfortunately, not as much fact as one would like to hear.  Do a search on VFF or minimalist ("Search Cool Running Community" in the upper right).  I could list some threads but it would be better for you to pick for yourself which to read.

Len

Len

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    3. Nov 16, 2010 4:36 AM (in response to mrspeacock13)

I am one of those barefoot runners.  I started from zero last May and reached a sort of pinnacle of happy running as I ran the Evansburg Challenge 10 Mile Trail race on Halloween.  I ran purely barefoot all summer with no injuries.  Rather, the only foot injuries I suffered all summer involved children's toys in my kitchen. My favorite aspect of BF running is that it's so gentle on my old bod.  I'm 54, and weighed about 195 when I started.  I never had one minute of knee ache or any of that sort of misery.  I did buy a pair of Bikilas early in September with which I ran the Evansburg race - I hadn't seen the trail and lacked the confidence to tackle both my first race and a blind barefoot run.  They are great for me, though I do prefer barefoot running.  I just recognize that BF has limits.  I plan to run as long as I can through the winter, and figure the Bikilas will extend my ability to get out there.

The best place for online info about BF Running is the Barefoot Runners Society.  It's like a support group for the small but growing community

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

Feb 24, 2010
    5. Nov 16, 2010 6:21 AM (in response to mrspeacock13)

Most of your RUNNING shoe stores should have them.  They are European sized w/o half sizes so they really should be on your feet before you purchase.  Go to the VFF website to find a retailer - and be aware of who is authorized.  Apparently there are counterfeit shoes out there too being sold online for cheap.  I recently bought a pair from Blue Ridge Mountain Sports (www.brms.com) and they sent me a 20% off coupon for next week.  I'll send it to you if my husband doesn't want to use it.  <we also have BRMS store near-ish us so I could have taken them back if I needed to>

As for support - none.  They are stiffer than being barefoot, since they do have a sole to protect your tootsies, but they are so comfortable.  The sole gives confidence to people like me who aren't going "whole hog" yet with the minimalist thing.  I still run in my Adidas, and I'll be hard pressed to give that up for longer distances just because it is what I know.

I kept telling my husband I could be barefoot for free at home (I work remotely) but he convinced me to try them... so he didn't feel guilty for buying his own.  I'd love to be able to run in them - especially because I'd like to get into Tri's.  VFFs would eliminate a lot of transition time!

It is such an individual decision.  I'm an indicisive mutt on the topic of shoes, no shoes, five finger shoes.  If $100 for a pair of shoes to try doesn't phase you, go get some!

Feb 24, 2010
    7. Nov 16, 2010 7:08 AM (in response to mrspeacock13)

I've never had shin splints so i have no idea. i get the impression that shin splints are your muscles getting stronger though, arent they?  the little bit of running i did in my bikilias outside w the kids, my calves were more engaged.  i imagine my smaller, foreleg muscles would try to balance out and might end up sore, but i'm guessing. 

just the foot action that contracts the "shin muscles" would be lessened, wouldnt it? (the toe lift) did you get shin splints running barefoot?

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    8. Nov 16, 2010 7:21 AM (in response to mrspeacock13)

I've never had these, but like the idea.  I have been looking for the more minimalist shoes and these are always on the lists.

I also don't see myself going barefoot, I'm too worried about tearing my feet up on stones, glass, etc.  I know it isn't as probable, but the concern is still there.

I asked about these shoes at the running store the other day.  The sales guy told me that they had 2 pairs of men's VFFs in the store.  But that they had every size of women's VFFs in the store.  He told me that all over the country, men's sizes are on back order.  I guess that's what happens when something hits the news and celebrities start wearing them.

They just look so rediculous that I don't see myself getting them.  Add onto this that they are becoming trendy and it virtually guarantees that I won't get them.

I don't do trendy

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

Oct 22, 2010
    10. Nov 16, 2010 12:13 PM (in response to mrspeacock13)

OK, Here are answers to most of your questions for me:

- I was inspired by the book Born to Run, by Christopher McDougal.  A great read that only points toward Barefoot running without actally going into it directly.  He has a blog you can find.

- My body, especially my feet LOVE the feel of texture.  My favorite run is woodland trail complete with roots, twigs and occcasional rocks.  My least favorite is crushed stone in the one inch range. I don't see how I would ever come to run on that stuff happily.  One thing about BFR that canstantly amazed me is how quiet it is.  Very few runners run with iPods - they just clash with the beauty of everything around as we run.

- Getting started: S_L_O_W is the word.  You are learning to run in a whole new way.  Read all you can find before going out. DO start really barefoot.  Your feet will be your most excellent teachers.

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

• Lauracooks Pro 76 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    11. Nov 16, 2010 12:58 PM (in response to mrspeacock13)

I just ran the NYC Marathon in a pair of Brooks Green Silence racing flats. I do not think I could go back to a bulkier shoe. after running in these for a month by regular running shoes feel awful and effortful. these do not look to odd and work great on the minimalist principle.

Lauracooks

Previous

'10 Zoo Run Run 25:31

'10 Strawbeerry Classic 10k 55:06

'10 Clearwater HM 2:02:14

'10 Space Coast Marathon 4:13:10

'11 Dances With Dirt Trail Marathon 5:54:34

'11 Bolt Run 5M 44:04

Upcoming

'11 Florida Youth Ranch Marathon

'11 Trout Creek 15K

'11 John Holmes Run/Croom 15m

'11 Wisconsin Marathon

Oct 22, 2010
    14. Nov 17, 2010 6:01 AM (in response to mrspeacock13)

Mrs. P.,  Living in SC you have a wonderful opportunity to run almost the whole year BF.  I'm happy to share, though, truly, I know I have so much to learn myself.  Go look at the BAREFOOT RUNNERS SOCIETY site.  They've developed programs and discussions and all kinds of help to get you going and support new and experienced BF runners.  Here's a link to their homepage. (I hope that it's legal to do this here!)

http://www.barefootrunners.org/build2/

You might even find somebody living near you to check in with.

One of the central themes of BF running is that it cuts closer to the joy of running.  Always make sure you're having a fun and rich experience when you run.  When you run BF, every single step is different and worth your attention.  This is especially true when you run the trails!  Good luck and have FUN!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points