Skip navigation

3833 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2013 7:10 PM by Playout RSS
Joebean Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 30, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 30, 2010 2:54 AM

Building endurance vs. mass (Push-ups)

Long story short. Need to build up the number of push-ups I can do within the next month. I know it's a big no-no to not take days off (in bodybuilding terms) because you will not gain mass this way. I'm not looking to gain mass, more of strength and endurance. I need to increase the number of push-ups I can do.

So should I do push-ups daily, or every other day?

If so, anyone have a plan? Sets? Incline vs. non-incline? Pushups till failure?

Appreciate any help and all replies. Hopefully I can find someone that gives good information, have a history of receiving bad work-out advice from people.

• Anthony5450 Amateur 25 posts since
    Nov 17, 2010
    1. Nov 17, 2010 6:14 PM (in response to Joebean)
    Re: Building endurance vs. mass (Push-ups)

Have you tried the 100 Push Ups program? It can get you to do 100 consecutive push ups in 7 weeks. There's a book and an app out so you can get whatever works for you. Just google "hundred pushups" and you'll find it.

Good luck!

Sprint Triathlon Training Program

• Playout Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 25, 2013
    2. Sep 25, 2013 7:10 PM (in response to Joebean)
    Building endurance vs. mass (Push-ups)

Hey Joe,

From what I've experienced myself and seen through my friend Nick Kelly (top recruit for the Navy Seals), it's all about consistency. You need to do a good amount of pushups every day, and occasionally (maybe 3 times a week) do sets where you go until failure, rest in pushup position or downward dog, and keep pushing until you hit a number you never thought you could do before. Nick would do sets of 10 with 10 seconds rest (in downward dog) in between up until 100. As far as the types of pushups, mix it up! Have some fun with it. Like any other exercise, variety "shocks" break through your plateaus.

Here's a fun, cheap product that might help you get to where you want to be:

Playout: The Game is an exercise card game that makes fitness fun, convenient, and effective. They just launched their Kickstarter project: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1209102011/playout-the-game-the-exercise-card-game. You can also order a deck on www.PlayoutTheGame.com. When you play this game with friends, you'll push yourself harder than ever in order to compete and win. Especially when you start adding Wildcards on top of the already challenging exercises, you'll be breaking plateaus in no time.

Cheers!

Eddie Kovel

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...