Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1202 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2010 10:00 AM by Lola67 RSS
Lola67 Pro 69 posts since
Oct 24, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 17, 2010 9:19 PM

Anyone ever have 'Jumpers Knee' before?

Hi,

At week 4D1 my good knee gave out apparently it is called Patellar tendinitis "Jumpers Knee" it is really painful. I have been doing the RICE (rest, ice,compression,elevation) treatment is there any other things I should be doing? And can anyone give me a basic outline on how long recovery may be?

Thanks a ton!

Happy running!

Started CT5K 10.18.2010

Graduated 12.27.2010

1st 5K 01.29.2011 PR 00.33.40

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    1. Nov 17, 2010 11:39 PM (in response to Lola67)
    Re: Anyone ever have 'Jumpers Knee' before?

This is not an uncommon injury in runners.  Runners knee.  I can't tell you how long it will take to recover, but take it easy.  Don't rush it.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• AZrunner7 Amateur 23 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    2. Nov 18, 2010 12:30 AM (in response to Lola67)

Yes, I was hobbled with it -- I had increased mileage too quickly and ignored the initial discomfort.  You can buy jumper's knee straps for a few bucks -- immediate pain relief for me. Walgreens and such businesses have them.

I saw a sports medicine professional for my runner's knee, had the contributing factors assessed, got treatment, exercises, recovery plan, and am back to running.

Good luck.

• Kristy Burleyson Pro 62 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    3. Nov 18, 2010 3:49 AM (in response to Lola67)

I currently am recovering from pes anserine bursitis of my left knee and you are right - it is really painful.  I injured it in W3 of C25K, took 5 days off, tried to run again and reinjured it.  I have been on a steroid dose pack, prescription NSAIDS and out of work 2 days to rest it up.  Today is the first day I've been able to get out of bed pain free since the initial injury several weeks ago.  It has been a bear for me to get over, but I feel like I'm finally on the mend.  I tell you all this to encourage you to rest it, ice it and hit it hard with NSAIDS.  A PA I work with is big in running, has been the sport PA for many professional runners and the advise he gave me was Ice mult times daily, Motrin around the clock, and strengthening excercises for the quads - Good luck -

Kristy in NC

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...