Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6043 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2011 1:09 PM by quadzilla1 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
atrain1016 Amateur 36 posts since
Aug 18, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 12, 2010 11:45 AM

Long run fueling issues

Hi all!

I've just started marathon training and am concerned about fueling on the go. I've run a few half marathons and have used Cliff Shot Blocks and then switched to Gu Chomps for fuel which has been working out okay. I have a pretty sensitive digestive system and haven't reacted well to other fuels (like Gu packs) that are more easily trasnportable. I tried experimenting in making my own sports drink but couldn't get enough carbohydrate in the mixture to make a difference. I was wondering if anyone knows if a dairy-free/soy-free carb powder exists for me to make my own drink. I've also tried eating bananas on the go and that went horribly.

Even when I up my carbs I find myself burning through fuel on my long runs. I'd rather not have to carry 3-4 packs of chomps in addition to a water bottle as my runs get past 15 miles.

ANY suggestions are much appreciated!

• how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    1. Nov 13, 2010 6:20 AM (in response to atrain1016)
    Re: Long run fueling issues

You might consider the new Generation UCAN "superstarch" products.  They come in powder form, so that you can mix your own drink.

Here's the link to a post that I wrote about them:

What the Heck is a SuperStarch?

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

• Samclemens Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 8, 2010
    3. Nov 18, 2010 5:27 PM (in response to atrain1016)

Most of the advise you obtained is nonsense. Refueling during a marathon is silly. Any biology major will tell you you can not for the most part absorb the nutrients you ingested in the time you run and I say run a marathon. if you take five or six hours to complete a marathon, not run it, that is another story. Veteran of 76 marathons , including 14 Bostons

• Martrese Amateur 12 posts since
    Nov 23, 2007
    4. Nov 18, 2010 6:01 PM (in response to atrain1016)

Good for Samclemens, but every fueling article out there and my own personal experience indicate that proper fueling before, during AND after a marathon makes all the difference in having a good race and recovering well. My go-to long run fuel strategy is:

- decent carb/protein meal the night before (recently, I ate very little the night before a long run and it was my worst ever)

- pre-run: whole grain bread with peanut butter, lots of water, a little Gatorade

- every 50-60 minutes during running: PowerBar Gel Double Latte flavor with 2x caffeine (washed down with water), sometimes dried apricots, Gatorade

- immediately after the run: chocolate Slim Fast shake

- post-shower and stretching: pasta with turkey meatballs in red sauce

You indicated that gels don't sit well with you. Try dried fruit, pretzels, gumi bears during. Once when I was out of my pre-run food, I had a Slim-Fast and a Snickers "Marathon" fuel bar (got a sample in a race bag) before and I had a phenomenal run - maybe try that.

Sep 21, 2008
    6. Nov 18, 2010 6:29 PM (in response to Samclemens)

Really, then why were the elites in the NYC Marathon reportedly taking gels every 2 miles and why did Simon Bairu "bonk", fall down, and have to receive medical attention because he didn't take any gels.

http://www.thestar.com/article/888282--feschuk-bairu-hungry-for-marathon-success

The sugars in energy gels can be digested in less than 10 minutes.  What do you think they give diabetics who are hypoglycemic (low blood sugar)?  Glucose.  How long does it take for them to feel better.  Usually, less than 15 minutes.  Magic?  I don't think so.

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

• Martrese Amateur 12 posts since
    Nov 23, 2007
    7. Nov 18, 2010 6:35 PM (in response to atrain1016)

Oatmeal is an excellent idea.

• EWNeely Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 18, 2010
    8. Nov 18, 2010 9:22 PM (in response to atrain1016)

does anybody have tips for a pre-diabetic on race fueling for a mara? i have been trying gels - they give me an intial lift for about a mile and then i crash.

Sep 21, 2008
    9. Nov 19, 2010 3:07 AM (in response to EWNeely)

Here are a couple of links on how Type I Diabetics can run marathons.  Some of this might be useful to you.

http://www.runsweet.com/MarathonRunning.html

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Running-With-Diabetes--Tips-to-Stay-Healthy-on-the-Road.htm

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

• BPS1976 Amateur 34 posts since
    Apr 7, 2008
    10. Nov 30, 2010 1:17 PM (in response to atrain1016)

I'm interested reading the answers on this thread, since this is something I need advice on, too.  I've run lots of 10-milers, 2 halves, and I'm training for my first marathon in march, and I think I'm kind of the picture of "what not to do" nutrition-wise.

I eat a big, carb and protien meal the night before a longer race (10 miles or half marathon) and drink plenty of water, and then carry water during the run.  I'd never eaten before or during a morning race because of stomach cramps, and always finished ok.  (Half marathon right around 2 hours)  I noticed that my legs felt weak about 5 miles into my last half marathon, and though I pushed through I know my usual habits won't cut it for a marathon.

When I went for a 15-mile run last weekend, which was my longest ever, I mixed in drinking  gatorade with water throughout the run, and ate dole fruit bites, which had the benefit of being easy to eat while I ran, at about mile 10.

After reading this thread, I think I'll try the sport beans or Cliff Blocks on my next long run.  Thanks.

http://earnyourdonuts.blogspot.com/

• Cheri Lipscomb Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 30, 2010
    11. Nov 30, 2010 9:09 PM (in response to atrain1016)

I am training for my first marathon.  I have ran several 5Ks and one half.  I have to be very careful what I eat during the race.  So far I have been able to eat any Cliff product, it settles well and keeps me fueled.  I just finished a century bicycle ride using cliff shots with 50 mg caffine every hour and finished with a smile on my face.  Hopefully, I will be as successful using the shots during the marathon.  I am almost 50 and have had a goal of running a marathon before 50 so I have to train and fuel effectively to meet my goal/

• Allbustedup Amateur 17 posts since
    Feb 20, 2011
    14. Feb 26, 2011 12:53 PM (in response to atrain1016)

I'm new to running so I don't have a lot of experience with that but I can say is try eating PAYDAY peanut caramel bars, I eat them before I lift and run, its a big help and doesn't leave a heavy feeling in your gut.

Deads: 445

Squat: 365lbs

Bench: 305

Shoulder Shrugs: 495

2 mile run: 16:13

4 mile run: 36:33

CARPE DIEM!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...