Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

939 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 20, 2010 7:10 AM by Manny_A
CHISoxFan Rookie 1 posts since
May 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 15, 2010 8:22 PM

Umpire Etiquette

I have enjoyed reading posts on here over the years.  Still a newbie blue compared to most.  Would like words of wisdom from the board on the below situation.

Game sitch: R1, R2 1 Out.  B1 hits ball in the air, R2 took off on contact. My partner FU calls Infield Fly. F6 catches the infield fly as R2 proceeds to 3B.  Defense executes live ball appeal at 2B on R2 who did not re-touch and my partner calls "Safe."  Defensive coach never protested the call, and play continued.  After the third out, my partner and I chatted and I asked if she knew what happened.  She admitted that she totally missed the fact that R2 did not re-touch 2B after the catch.

I want opinions on if I 1) did the right thing by not saying anything, or if I 2) should have called time and talked the play over with my partner and let her choose how to handle it.  I appreciate any advice.

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Nov 20, 2010 7:10 AM (in response to CHISoxFan)
    Re: Umpire Etiquette

I personally think you did the right thing, since the defensive coach never said anything (which really surprises the heck out of me).

That said, I "grew up" as a baseball umpire, and things are different in that sport.  In baseball, one umpire is not allowed to "seek to reverse" another umpire's call.  Had you called Time to talk to your partner and get her to change the call, that would be bad ju-ju in baseball.  I'm really not so sure if the same is true in softball.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points