Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3433 Views 26 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2010 8:44 PM by ljdiamond Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • gdcaledo Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 21, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Nov 21, 2010 8:05 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Event Reviews

I had a great time! The wind was a bit of a challenge on the ride back, but that just added to the fun for me. All the riders I encountered were courteous and helpful. I was impressed by the younger riders, the way they hung in there and made it all the way. This was my first Turkey Roll and I look forward to doing it again next year.

• JeremyLC Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 21, 2010
    16. Nov 21, 2010 8:34 PM (in response to Guest )

Other than the awful wind, this ride was about on par with others I've done.  I enjoyed the downhill start, though I didn't enjoy riding back up at the finish.  The route was well marked, though the turn off sign at Shepard Rd and Green Valley Circle was missing by the time I passed it on the return leg.  Also, the distance was about 3 miles longer than the advertised 63 miles.  That isn't an excessive difference, but it can be demoralizing when you're beat down and ready to finish and you check your odometer only to find you've PASSED the the distance you thought you were going and the end is still nowhere in sight.

• JerryJJenkins Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 24, 2008
    17. Nov 21, 2010 8:45 PM (in response to Guest )

Good ride overall,  I know you can not prodict the weather.  Wish that s couple of the reststops on the way in had a few chairs. The only other item I would like to see is the police at the last few (three) red lights, for the returning riders.

Great effort by all.  Great cause.

• Pinarello - Tim Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 16, 2009
    18. Nov 22, 2010 5:21 AM (in response to Guest )

another enjoyable year, though I'll add my two cents about the relentless wind on the way back.  Felt more like a century ride than a 67 mile ride... I got caught by two trains, one stopped on the tracks for about 20 minutes as we waited and waited and waited ... a few started climbing between cars or passing underneath ... to me it was NOT worth the risk... In 2008 I did the last part of the ride in an ambulance after being struck by a truck ... I didn't want to push my luck.  Great group of people sponsoring this ride with their hearts in the right place, always nice to return and see familar faces!!!

I'll be returning next year ...

• RideOnInParker Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 19, 2010
    19. Nov 22, 2010 6:30 AM (in response to Guest )

Thanks to all the volunteers that make this happen.  It is a good cause and overall was a very successful event.  However, there are some areas for improvement.  First, try to rework the route to include less chip seal and/or heavily traveled highways.  Also, I had an unrepairable flat (my fault) and called for the SAG wagon - but it never showed up.  I waited for my wife to finish and pick me up - 1.5 hrs.

• DarrylM Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 12, 2008
    20. Nov 22, 2010 7:31 AM (in response to Guest )

I have done this ride in the past and loved when we would start at the Fairgrounds.  This year?s route was changed and I was a little disappointed.  Traveling through the same road out and back was convenient, but the roads that have only two lanes, no shoulder and that much traffic was SCARY.  Not enough SAG support or COOKIES.  Why only 500 shirts?  If you have more than that registered from the previous year, customarily speaking you would start with that number of items.

Not sure I will be using this ride next year as my final ride for the year anymore.  I am sad.

• dthall2 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 25, 2008
    21. Nov 22, 2010 8:30 AM (in response to Guest )

This ride was a little disappointing compared to many of the other rides I have done around the local area.  I usually ride in a dozen or more each cycling session and I have been riding for quite a few years now, so I feel I have a fairly good basis to compare.

Overall organization - It was a fairly good way to end the cycling season but it was not a high note of the year or the best that I?ve experienced.

Registration / Packet Pickup / Packets - I registered online through Active.com which was great, however finding the right line to be in based on the first three letters of my last name was a bit confusing, maybe just too early in the day, partly because A?s started on the right and Z?s to the left, kind of backwards.  Only receiving a t-shirt and that's if you were one of the first 500, is strange when these ride seems to grow each year.  Some other goodies from local supporters is always a plus and a standard.  A detailed route map with phone numbers too would be nice to include.

Starting Point - Not well marked for those coming in or from the overflow parking area across the street.

Route / Intersection Control - Route was very well marked with tall roadside signs and the traffic control at major intersections going out of Denton was great, thank you.  However, there was no traffic control to speak of on the way back in.  It's always nice when you don't have to stop for traffic lights especially when it's 1000  cyclist.

Rest Stops - Great support at the couple I did stop at.  The volunteers were very friendly and snacks were great but there could have been more snacks as it seemed to go fast.

SAG Support - All I saw for support was a gentleman on a motorcycle going back and forth.  Would have been rough it someone had an unfixable roadside breakdown.  If there were others I guess they weren't marked.

Finish Line - Where exactly was the finish line?  Oh well, I was back and I rode back to where I started from.

After Ride Activities - It's always nice to get feed when you finish a ride even though it was just a hotdog of some kind or was it a long sausage I don?t know.  Tasted like a sausage but you could have seconds if you really wanted one.  Did you really want one?

Overall I gave it three stars.  If you rode Tour de Paris I hope you would agree that they know how to put on a five star ride.

• hybridrider Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 22, 2010
    22. Nov 22, 2010 6:25 PM (in response to Guest )

They have put this ride on for 27 years and I assumed that all would go well. I was wrong. I got there about 50 minutes early to register on site. I handed the guy $40.00  and he turned to the guy next to him for $2.00 which he handed me. I didn't realize until today that I had been ripped off. He then said that a t-shirt would be mailed to me since they were out. Yea right I thought to myself. He said nothing of goodie bags so I assumed that they were skimping on those too this year.    So I got the bike ready and got in line. There was an announcer talking on the p.a. but no one could hear him halfway back and beyond, partly because of the stout wind out of the south. As the pack moved past where he was, there were speakers blasting ear deafening music.   The rest areas were well stocked and full of friendly folks however all of the ones I spoke with knew nothing about the route and little about the event. I did not see any bicycle  mechanics all day. The 63 was actually 65 on my trip meter. I rolled up at the end for a hot dog and the guy just shrugged his shoulders and said they were out.   Looks like I 'm out too next year.  Good luck with your event.

• rjperez Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 27, 2009
    23. Nov 22, 2010 7:37 PM (in response to Guest )

Out of all the rallies I have participated in, this was a bit disappointing.  The people are extremely friendly and the cause is great, but there were just more things that were not so great that outweighed the good.

First of all, I have never participated in a rally or run that we were pre-registered for and were told when we went for pick up that they will mail us the t-shirt.  I truly hope this happens, otherwise my disappointment with this rally will be furthered.

The route left a bit to be desired.  To me, there was too much "straight away" roads, in which we were fighting the wind constantly, instead of being able to turn or curve in another direction to have some repreve from the horrible wind.  The route also took us much of the time on highway access roads and two lane highways, which are not only aesthetically displeasing, but a bit dangerous.

When the ride was finally over, it was frustrating for there to only be hotdogs served at the end of the ride, and from what I understand they ran out of those before all the riders crossed the finish line.

I hate it, but I will not be riding this ride again. 

• kballard72 Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 4, 2010
    24. Nov 23, 2010 4:47 AM (in response to Guest )

Are we really continously pointing out the wind as if the folks that run the ride have some sort of control? Or the roads? North Texas riding folks. Want the conditions smooth with no wind, there is a valadrome in Frisco.

• 1dawg Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 23, 2010
    25. Nov 23, 2010 8:17 AM (in response to Guest )

I thought the event was well organized. The volunteers were all very pleasant and friendly; the route was scenic and well marked.  I wouldn?t mind seeing one or two more porta-potties at the rest stops as the lines got long at the early stops. I agree that it would have been helpful to have some traffic control at the end of the route. As for the chip seal roads, as previously mentioned, this is North Texas, it comes with the territory. Overall I enjoyed the ride and will definitely do it again. 

• ljdiamond Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 14, 2008
    26. Nov 24, 2010 8:44 PM (in response to Guest )

I enjoyed the ride overall.  I thought the new start location was great with plenty of parking and not so busy roads getting in/out of it.   And I thought the roads were nice quiet roads for the most part.

It was hard to figure out where the Start Line was.  It turned out after riding around, that I had parked practically in front of it.   I sure couldn't tell.

More snacks like cookies or peanut butter crackers would be nice.

Would be good if the one section of pretty bad chip seal could be avoided next time.  It wasn't just that it was chip seal, it was the fact there were pot holes and cracks that made it so tough against the headwinds. 

www.advocare.com/04112116

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...