Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

6180 Views 41 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2011 1:51 PM by NCHighDef 1 2 3 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 26, 2010 10:39 AM

Event Reviews

Share your experiences with this event below Back to event details page.

• christinahultsch Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    1. Nov 26, 2010 10:39 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Event Reviews

a little bit too congested for my taste, the old course worked better; simple mile markers would be nice, too; but really exciting to see that many people on a rainy Thanksgiving morning, very nice overall

• willwrite4chocolate Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 1, 2010
    2. Nov 26, 2010 10:43 AM (in response to Guest )

This was only my second race, but this was a fun one despite the dreary weather. Lots of people (3,000?), some in costume. Fun 5-mile course through OSU campus.

~ Nita

• Sara_ann Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 25, 2010
    3. Nov 26, 2010 10:45 AM (in response to Guest )

I agree with Christina, some spots were really congested. Also, the bridge across the Olentangy turned into a moon-bounce almost with all those people running on it.

Small thing and maybe I just missed it but the site said we'd receive finishers medals. Either that was just for kids, I missed the spot or it was not true. Again, small but if I'm going to run in the rain with the promise of a medal, I'd like that thing!

I always enjoy a fun race and it was just that. Going around the stadium was pretty neat and starting your turkey day with a 5 mile run is an awfully good excuse to eat up on Thanksgiving!

• ScottRG Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 6, 2009
    4. Nov 26, 2010 10:48 AM (in response to Guest )

I loved the new course, much more interesting and scenic than the old one. Overall I thought the new course was less congested than the old one. Great to see so many people brave the elements for a good cause and some exercise. Will be participating again next year.

Only complaint was that the starting area was very congested, this seems to be a recurring complaint from me. Need a system to have pace groups go off in phases.

• HopeandJete Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 10, 2008
    5. Nov 26, 2010 10:56 AM (in response to Guest )

This is the fourth time I ran the Turkey Trot in Columbus.  By far, this was the worst one.  There was no system for timing the runners or recording the results, like in previous years. The new course was not appropriate for as many runners as there was.  The bridge was shaking.  At the end, there were no finisher medals. The only good thing is the physical excercise on Thanksgiving morning, and it is for a good cause. Overall I was very dissapointed with the race compared to previous years.

• MelEdell Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 7, 2009
    6. Nov 26, 2010 11:08 AM (in response to Guest )

I loved the new race even though it did seem more congested. I would recommed a couple things: porta-potty's at the start and finish line, at least one more water station maybe at mile 2 and 4, also mile makers at each mile would be encouraging.

• TEMeers Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 21, 2010
    7. Nov 26, 2010 11:37 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first TT. It was a lot of fun, but as others have mentioned there was a lot of crowding and bottlenecking at the start and on the foot brige across the river. Also, the foot bridge bounced quite a bit, which may be a safty concern with so many runners on it. Other than that I thought the race was well run and I'll definitely run it again in the future. Thanks for putting it on and supporting the cause.

• Roni29 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 7, 2009
    8. Nov 26, 2010 12:32 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first time running.  I thought the course was nice with the exception of the bouncing bridge.  I agree that mile markers and more port-a-potties would be nice.  My biggest complaint is that they didnt time it.  I had my ipod but would have liked to see the official time.  Otherwise, it was just alright.

• CAH41 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 26, 2010
    9. Nov 26, 2010 1:19 PM (in response to Guest )

Overall I would like to say that this was a fun and beautiful race! There were a few negatives I would like to mention just to help make the race even more enjoyable for next year.

-It was congested at the beginning of the race and on the bridge, so maybe next year people can be grouped by their pace.

-Mile markers would have been encouraging. I looked for them but didn't see any. It's possible that I missed them if they were there.

-The timing system was not my favorite because I actually missed my time at the end. It would have been great to get timing chips.

Now for the positives!

Supporting the cause was very rewarding, the course was beautiful, the tech shirts are really cool, the music helped pump up the energy and receiving delicious pumpkin pies was a great way to end the race!

It was a great way to start off my Thanksgiving day! I am looking forward to doing this again next year!

• DMGDMG Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 26, 2010
    10. Nov 26, 2010 2:18 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first race - not just my first Turkey Trot.  Overall I thought it was good even though the weather was questionable.  Mile markers would've been nice.  If I wouldn't have worn my gps I'd have been clueless!  It was hard to hear the instructions as well - where to line up, where the kids tot trot was, etc.  But overall I had fun and feel a real sense of accomplishment   I'll be back next year!

• Brian M Seymour Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 25, 2010
    11. Nov 26, 2010 2:47 PM (in response to Guest )

I have to agree with a few of you.  It was a nice race and nice to see a lot of people out Thanksgiving morning.  There were mile markers (big yellow flags on the side of the road).  I would have liked to see 1. Finish times and posted online, 2. Better way to start out, way too congestion (I felt like I had to run around people for the first mile or so) and 3. If you say you are going to hand out medals (or awards) then make sure you do.  I had numerous younger kids running from my school team and they like getting the awards.

• Ohiomom174 Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 27, 2009
    12. Nov 26, 2010 5:36 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my second time running this race and the cause is very near and dear to my heart so I always enjoy it.  That said, I felt like it was very congested.  It was so hard to get around people in the beginning but going over the bridge on campus was the worst.  I didn't mind not having mile markers but I do have a Garmin to tell me how far I've gone.  Really, the congestion is my only complaint.  Other than that, I think it's a great event and I look forward to doing it again next year!

• admctm Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 22, 2009
    13. Nov 26, 2010 5:53 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my 9th time I ran the turkey trot in Columbus,it was nice to have a new course to run, weather wasn't bad, as others have said some spots were congested,I don't remember there being any official timing in the past.I've always came back and ran this because its just a fun run,no age groups or anything, Just pumpkins pie  

• zippywafflehead Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 16, 2009
    14. Nov 26, 2010 6:26 PM (in response to Guest )

This is my 2nd time running this. While it was great supporting charities on a day like Thanksgiving, there were certainly some negatives. First of all, it was difficult to tell exactly where the start was and there were no clear directions for lining up. If there were, I could not hear them in the crowd. This was the case last year as well. Then the course between mile 2 and 3 were very congested and I do not feel that bridge was made for a crowd running over it. It felt very unsafe. The twists and turns were also somewhat sharp at times and made it difficult to get around slower runners. It would have been nice to have water stations at mile 2 and 4 rather than 1 just after mile 3. Also, the mile markers needed to be a bit more clear as the wind was blowing and I am sure people missed them.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...