Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1346 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2010 4:56 PM by crl8686 RSS
sumerian Amateur 20 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 22, 2010 4:50 PM

Blisters - tape up and play hurt?

I ran my first real long run last weekend - 10 miles. I'm so proud. However, I have blisters the size of a quarter on the pad of my foot by my big toe. Not to be disgusting, but I've read some of your posts and I'm thinking this is a pretty candid crowd. Do you drain them and keep running or does that exacerbate the blister? Or do you wait a couple days and let them heal? Or do you get some "mole skin" from REI? Or do you just tape up and play hurt because it's just a freakin' blister and stop whining already? LOL!

• bianchilvr Expert 93 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    1. Nov 23, 2010 5:50 PM (in response to sumerian)
    Re: Blisters - tape up and play hurt?

Drain it, cover it up, and keep running.  Are you wearing good, non-cotton socks?  You shouldn't get blisters.

2011 Goals

• Lose 40 lbs (doable)
    • Run 1000 mi (doable)
    • Sub 25' 5K (very lofty goal)

PR's

• 5K, 26:28 (9/30/06)
    • 8K, 47:56 (3/30/02)
    • 10K, 1:01:44 (10/25/03)
    • Half, 2:18:54 (12/8/02)
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Nov 23, 2010 8:34 PM (in response to sumerian)

I wonder about the socks too.  Stay away from cotton.  I would hesitate to say you shouldn't get blisters, but minimizing them is certainly important.  I tend to get them in the same place with certain shoes at longer distances (12+ miles).  It seems to be due to the insole having a slightly rougher surface.  So I replace the insoles on those shoes.  I find that blisters in that area need no special treatment.  Sometimes I take a day off.  But walking around on them pretty much keeps them drained.  It's important to change whatever caused them before you do much running on them.

Len

Len

• crl8686 Legend 1,293 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    3. Nov 26, 2010 4:56 PM (in response to sumerian)

At distances beyond about 10K, if I don't use Body Glide or equivalent on my feet, I will occasionally get blisters even with good synthetic socks and well fitting shoes. Go figure. Neosporin and band-aids seem to work well at clearing them up. Usually I have to strap some athletic tape over the Band-Aids, otherwise they will slide off as soon as my feet start to sweat a bit. I will normally run straight through blisters, as long as they're protected and they aren't causing enough pain to affect running form.

Blisters are minor injuries, but don't let them get infected. Earlier this year I got several infected foot blisters (from backpacking) and those were sufficiently painful that I could not run for 4 days after I returned. I tried, but my running form was definitely affected, and I did not want to risk a secondary injury. In that case I had to crosstrain those days and wait for them to heal.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points