Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2251 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2010 5:57 AM by Scrufffy RSS
BetterHeather Rookie 6 posts since
Nov 26, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 26, 2010 1:57 PM

Cold Weather Gear?

I am a newbie to running outdoors and wanted to know what kind of gear I should have that will keep me warm in the winter but won't make me overheat either?

Thanks!

11/20/10:  EWEB Run to Stay Warm 5k 55:49

BHAG #1:  To do a 5k walk/run every month through June 2011, then a 10k walk/run through December 2011!

BHAG #2:  40 pounds lost, 120 left to go!

"Not everything that is faced can be changed. 

But nothing can be changed until it is faced."  -James Baldwin

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    1. Nov 26, 2010 6:30 PM (in response to BetterHeather)
    Re: Cold Weather Gear?

I can't really give any recomendations, since this is my first winter running.  However, there's a cool what to wear app over on Runner's World.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,7152,s6-240-325-330-0-0-0-0-0,00.html

Just fill in some details and it gives some recomendations.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    2. Nov 26, 2010 6:51 PM (in response to BetterHeather)

To give you a realy specific answer, more information is needed: How cold is going to get where you are?  Are you going to run in ice or deep snow?

That said, here are the basics for cold weather running, keeping in mind that you don't want to overheat --

• A water repellant or waterproof jacket with a zipper (actually not necessary, but nice -- I'm finally getting one for Christmas and I've been running for 27 years)
    • A good, thick technical top with at least a quarter zipper.  I have a Brooks top with thumb holes and a quarter zipper.  I bought a Nike running top today that has a full length zipper with pulls at the bottom and the top.  I'm going to wear it tomorrow on my 10 mile run, when it's going to be 30 degrees outside.
    • A long sleeve technical top to layer underneath on really cold days or to wear under the jacket instead of the thick technical top on days that aren't brutally cold.
    • Tights (I've tried relaxed fit bottoms, but they aren't as warm).  I've found that ordinary tights are plenty warm for me, but you can buy "thermal" tights for colder weather.
    • A fleece watch cap.
    • Gloves.

I wear Adidas fleece watch cap and gloves that were a stocking stuffer a couple of years ago.  The beauty of the watch cap is that you can cool off really quickly merely by taking the hat off your head.

If you buy on sale, you can buy everything on this list, other than the jacket, for less than $120.  If you pay full retail you should be less than $200.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• rkblackwell Amateur 36 posts since
    May 19, 2010
    4. Nov 28, 2010 2:37 PM (in response to BetterHeather)

On Thanksgiving I ran an 8K... it was my first time running in cold/snow.  The temp was 10 F.... and it was snowing.

On my feet, I wore these "feetures" socks - I think they're marino wool with bamboo fibers.  Over that, a pair of normal cotton crew socks, then running shoes.

On my legs... first my wool/nylon/cotton blend long underwear pants, and on top of that a pair of thermopolis running pants.  My feet and legs kept perfectly warm.

On top... a Champion polyester "wicking" long sleeve shirt, and over that, the wool/nylon/cotton long undewear shirt.  I wore a shell jacket over all that.  It wasn't a "running" jacket, but the best thing I had for a shell.  I got a little warm and had to unzip it about 1/2 way into it.  Also I wore regular, heavy ski gloves, which I had to take off and carry about half way through because I was hot.  My hands were fine for the rest of the run.  On my head, a knit ski hat.  I have no idea what it's made out of... acrylic maybe?  Who knows.  My head was warm.

I think the key is to wear what you think you'll be comfortable in... layers are handy, esp. with zippers you can open for ventilation, etc.

The day after the race, the special running jacket I ordered arrived... so I haven't had a chance to use it yet.  It's the Brooks LSD jacket (Yay LSD!).  It's SUPER duper light and thin.  I saw some people wearing these in the race.  It probably would've been fine after warming up, but at the beginning, standing around in 10 degree weather was chilly!!!

• Scrufffy Legend 252 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010
    5. Dec 3, 2010 5:57 AM (in response to BetterHeather)

Heather. Real proud of what you are doing!

Modern "baselayer" tights are a key to keeping warm. On top of that layering will allow you to prepare for a wide range of temps and take you down into the 30's. Keep in mind that if you run and walk, running will raise your temp and keep you warmer than walking so the outer layer should have some adjustability. A zippered top, the good suggestion above for the fleece cap, etc. Gloves are a must.

I personally won't run at temps below about 35 so that is where my experience stops. Where  I live it is hilly and there are lots of shady areas with black ice and I have even seen the deer fall on their a$$, so I just wait for better temps.

Keep at it girl!!

Spa5k, 11/04/10, 30:58 2nd place senior

Peace and Love 5k 3/16/11 29:05 1st place senior

Toad Suck Daze 5k 30 April 11, 28:29 1st place age group

2011 Spa 5k 11/19/11 25:55 1st place senior Personal Best, 2nd career

Looking for a 10 k to run and if that goes well, a HM next spring

A body at rest tends to stay .... on the couch!

Jack

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points