Skip navigation

2194 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2010 9:00 PM by BillyGoat10 RSS
TriathlonMob Amateur 20 posts since
Jun 1, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 26, 2010 9:48 PM

Tri Newbies, what are you looking for in a plan?

I'm putting together a free training plan for beginners/first timers looking to complete a sprint triathlon. Beyond the actual training plan, what other things would you like to see in the plan?

In other words, what areas are you most concerned or have the most questions about? Any comments would be great and would help me create something that is useful for beginners.

thanks,

- R

Triathlon Training - A Free Triathlon Training Community.

• BillyGoat10 Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 28, 2010

Just started training for my first triathalon and am currently looking for a plan I can flex and integrate around my job and my family's schedule since it changes frequently, how to determine my nutritional needs and making a diet plan, tips on improving swimming techniques and transitions, problems to expect or a general idea on what to expect on your first triathalon.Looking forward to what you put together, your help is appreciated- BG

• Buddhajer Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 23, 2010

I'm new.  Bought Joe Friel's book "bible" and have been Base building (I think) for the past 5 weeks. I am in ok shape, 25 BMI, not really a swimmer, runner or cyclist, just a 46 year old guy who wants to do some triathlons and get in good shape. I have a 5 k in Dec, a 10k in Feb and a 1/2 marathon in March. I want to do a sprint in April and a few more sprints throughout the season with a few Olympic distances and maybe a half century mixed in.  Goals help me focus my training. I can work out at my work a lunch (swim or run). I'd like a plan for someone not aiming for age group podium status, but will get me solidly in shape and getting better as the season progresses. I also plan to do some Tri Club San Diego sprints this season. I'd love to see your training plan. Oh and I bought a Garmin 305 which is helping me a lot. email me at jerry.phelps@gmail.com.  I'd like to see some basic strength and stretch stuff too.

Thanks!

• Anthony5450 Amateur 25 posts since
    Nov 17, 2010

I think one of the hardest things about a triathlon training program is that it can often take up your entire life! It's difficult to incorporate a good training plan into "real life." I struggled with finding balance between work, family, and training.

I found a great resource in Competitive Triathlon in 10 Hours a Week. Feel free to check out my site to learn more.

Good luck everyone!

Sprint Triathlon Training Program

• BillyGoat10 Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 28, 2010

In short- The plan cannot be specific to days of the week for each activity. My early morning workouts at 5:30 am are easy to keep before going to work at 7:00. Right now M, W, F are swimming, T, Th are running, weekends are biking with a week night here or there of spin class where I can fit it in. I use sporatic opportunities of time to fit in any training I can while balancing work, family time.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points