Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2144 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2010 6:04 AM by coolbikermom
JayBot324 Rookie 3 posts since
Nov 25, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 25, 2010 7:31 AM

Consistent running

Hey guys,

I just found this forum and i wanted to get some excitement going so i can keep running and improve over time! I also would love to lose some gut weight, who doesn't right.

Well, a little background i spose, i have been fairly active my whole life, i play hockey ( yes i'm canadian ) and i have always been into sports. I only got into running last year, i used to HATE running...and i thought it was kinda stupid...but then i ran...and i gotta say the first 3-4 times we're HELL...but then i started enjoying running more and more and i just got hooked once i started seing improvement. So i kept running on and off for the past year or so, maybe get in 3 runs one week, 1 the next and then none for a few weeks, then 3 runs the next and so on. I'm a College student so sometimes my schedual doesn't really let me fit runs in.

Anyway, ima cut to the chase, i weight about 230 i'd guess. I think i'm more or less fit to start, i still play hockey 1-2 times a week but i would love to get 3-4 runs in a week. I have 2-3 runs i have mapped out at about 5k - 3.2 Miles ish per run.  Two of my routes hav areas where the incline is close to 20% or so at half way so i kinda push myself to get there and up and then i tell myself i can take a quick break when i make it. Usually i take a 30s-1min break and i'm good to go.  Sometimes i can run the whole thing in 26-28m.

So basically, what i plan on doing is running 15 times per month, while managing what i eat. I make homemade wine and beer so i indulge when friends are around, but that's not a major worry for me since i will be done College in april. What i want is to get a solid routine going so once i want to change my diet it will be way easier to integrate. I guess the probleme is that i have a hard time motivating myself to keep going after 2 weeks or so. I did register for my first race on the 1st of January so i'm looking forward to get my 5k time down enough so i can really push myself and just get a decent personnal result.

Reasons i have a hard time running the desired amount of times per week:

I feel i don't have time,

I am too sore,

I just don't feel like it,

It's winter here now,

I just ate or i want to eat,

Anyway, if someone is in a similar situation i would love some feedback, or even for someone to tag along, or take interest in what i'm doing!

Jason Blaquiere : Q

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Nov 25, 2010 8:35 AM (in response to JayBot324)
    Re: Consistent running

I think that it's something that you have to make a priority, there are no magic pills or motivations speeches. The good thing is that, the more you do it, the more it'll become a habit, meaning that, as hard as it is sometimes to step out the door, the thought of not stepping out the door will be worse.

So when can we all come over for the beer and wine?

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Nov 25, 2010 11:17 AM (in response to JayBot324)

When you say "sore", what does that mean? Is it something like shin splints, knee pain or just post workout muscle fatigue and soreness?

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• MumToMarathon Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 27, 2010
    4. Nov 26, 2010 5:38 PM (in response to JayBot324)

Hiya, I'm in a somewhat similar situation.

I've always been fairly active (taekwondo is my thing) but I had a baby 10 months ago and during my pregnancy I basically sat around on the couch a lot. I put on weight and lost fitness. So I decided about 9 weeks ago to run a marathon next July.

I've been training approx 3x per week and am aiming to get up to 20km long runs by January 1st. My first run was 4.5 km and I walked half of it, so I've come a long way. My most recent run was 17.8km. Just a regular 3x to 4x per week works.

I'm not in college but I hear you  because I work and have four kids, so juggling time can be tricky. Sometimes I've trained 2x per week and one week I didn't train at all.

I started a blog http://mumtomarathon.com to encourage parents or any other busy people to make sure they too find time for them selves and their pursuits.

So I'm basically going from unfit mum of four to someone who can run a marathon. That's the plan.

I'd be happy to be a virtual running buddy with you. Do you have a blog or FB page or are you tracking your progress here. You can follow my blog & send me links to your updates.

Cheers

Brooke

Find the time...it's worth it.

Mum To Marathon

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    5. Nov 26, 2010 5:51 PM (in response to JayBot324)

I agree that you have to make it a priority.  If you use a day planner or some scheduler software, put it in there.  Make it time that you can't book other things into.

As for motivation, swing over to the 200+ club thread.  Lots of very motivational people over there.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

• sunsetlizard Amateur 11 posts since
    Nov 7, 2010
    6. Nov 26, 2010 9:36 PM (in response to JayBot324)

Hi JayBot324,

I have been in and still encounter the same situations you are in.  The other suggestions that are posted should be considered and/or followed too. However, here is my advice based on my short experience:

• I feel I don't have time: I have selected four days a week to run, and sometimes life happens and so I adjust accordingly. Four days has helped me to look forward to the days when I get to run. I remind myself that I chose running so that it would be part of and a focus for my life, not run it.

• I am too sore: Depends on how you feel and where you are sore.  There are days when I know my legs are "tight," so I take a day or two off to cross train (I enjoy doing the elliptical) or I rest and ice. Diet (bananas!), anti-inflammatories (ibuprophen), and KT tape can help fend off soreness. Check with your  doctor if you have any medical conditions or injuries before you try any of these suggestions.

• I just don't feel like it: The days I don't feel like it I tell myself, "Just 10 minutes." If I still can't convince myself, I run the next day. I've learned that sometimes when "I don't feel like it," those are the times I need to run. Call it an attitude adjustment.

• It's winter here now: Join a gym. As a student you can get discounts on gym memberships or your school may allow you to use theirs for free. I maintain a gym membership to get rid of that excuse and to remind me to strength train to enhance my running. I know how thrilling running on a treadmill (ugh!) can be, but it's not worth skipping a run or having a cold catch you.

• I just ate or I want to eat: When I started running I promised myself that I wouldn't have an  adversarial relationship with food, but my running days would make me  more aware of what I ate. My favorite pre-run and post-run snacks include one of the following: a banana, 1/2 an energy bar, or almonds mixed with chocolate chips and raisins or orange flavored cranberries (The mixture should equal 1/2 an 8 oz.dry measure cup). Don't forget water or a diluted sports drink before, during, and after. Remember, eat 1/2 an hour to an hour before you run and 15 to 30 minutes after. Experiment and see what works for you.  These snacks also help to control your appetite so that you can enjoy your wine and beer .

I hope this helps. Good luck and think of it like this: The miles will wait for you, but do you want to wait to run them?  You'll get to your goals, just keep at it. You will go further than you ever believed you could and sooner than you thought you would.

Keep us posted of your progress.

SSL

"Action is eloquence." William Shakespeare, English dramatist & poet  (1564 - 1616)

• coolbikermom Legend 418 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    8. Nov 27, 2010 6:04 AM (in response to JayBot324)

Hey Jay, there's some good stuff here. I've got a bit of a different take, so indulge me a bit.

Excuses - yes, they are easy to make and hard to overcome sometimes. And some of them are probably not excuses as much as solid reasons for your not getting out there. There might be some underlying stuff going on though that makes just doing it hard.

The Physical Game - Since you are having some issues with pain, shin splints, sore and weak muscles, there are some things going on here. Do some searches on this site on shin splints. There is a lot of good info here, especially from Lenzlaw. See if you can find it and do what he says. Likely you are overstriding. Shorten up your stride and try to land with your feet under you, not ahead of you. Also, consider slowing down a bit (not due to the shortened stride!) so try to keep the run enjoyable. You should be able to talk while running. If you can't, you're going too fast. With conditioning, you'll be able to increase your speed in time. If you address the physical issues to try to make the run more fun, then you might find the excuses start going away.

The Mental Game - Running is mostly mental. That's one of the hardest things to overcome. Your brain, for some odd reason, thinks it needs to tell you to not do something that you know is good for you. When you don't feel like running and you start focusing on all the "bad" things you're feeling, or start thinking about all the other stuff you could/should/would be doing instead, then your head is not into it and your body will surely follow that. Usually the first 5-10 minutes of running is the hardest. Your brain tells you your legs are like lead and you're breathing harder than you should and it's just not feeling right today, it's best to stop and do it another time. Well, your brain is usually wrong. If you can make it past that period (remember...running too fast can really make it seem like the brain is telling you the truth!) then usually it's all good from there. There will be days when you're just not feeling it. Unless there is pain, I will slog through for a minimum of 2-3 miles. I slow my pace and just get it done. I try to figure out if maybe I'm coming down with something or maybe my diet hasn't been very good. But usually it's a temporary thing, just that one day, and on I go, leaving it behind.

There was a time that I really didn't enjoy running that much. I didn't actually enjoy it until I was finished. Then I felt good, energetic, and full of a sense of accomplishment. Things are different now, I actually enjoy the sensation of running an dworking and the challenges I overcome when I'm doing it.

Make it fun, make it painless, and you'll find that it's easier to get out there and do it than it is for you now.

Good luck!

C25k dropout

Rock the Parkway 5k 3/27/10  37:40.6

Mother's Day 5k  5/9/10  33:19

Walk/Run for Isaiah 9/18/10 4.4k 37:26

Harvest Moon 10k 10/23/10  1:08.50

Great Santa 5k 12/5/10 33:22

Carlsbad half marathon 1/23/11

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." ~Albert Einstein

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...