Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9845 Views 44 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2010 7:10 PM by Robhart101 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Nov 22, 2010 10:02 AM (in response to Surfing_Vol)
    Re: My first race

Everything I read about running a race alway says to get in the middle or back and start slow.

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    31. Nov 22, 2010 10:17 AM (in response to flamomof3)

flamomof3 wrote:

Everything I read about running a race alway says to get in the middle or back and start slow.

YES TO BOTH!!!  1) Slower runners who start out up front frustrate faster runners.  Most races don't have "pace/finishing time" signs, so it's an undeclared honor system -- the fastest runners line up on the front row, those who are just a little slower line up behind them, and so on and so on.  2) Start slow-ish.  A pace that feels slow at the beginning of a race will seem impossible to hold unless you really know your pace and capabilities.  I've been running for nearly 30 years and still find this to be true.

If you do these things you will discover the racer's joy of passing other runners!!!  Passing someone who passed you in the first hal-mile of a race is a GREAT feeling.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• LemonaidLucy Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 19, 2010
    32. Nov 22, 2010 10:28 AM (in response to Surfing_Vol)

I can totally second that. I got the same advice for my first race as well. I started in the back, did a stupid thing of shooting up afterthe gun but realized after a 100 m and slowed down to my pace. I was second to last:-) Well, only until a 500 m sign. I kept a steady pace and passed another 6 runners (who had passed me) before the marker hit 3k:-)

Lucie

PB 5k (training): 25:32, PB 10K (training): 56:05, PB 20k: 1:55:13, PB half marathon: 2:01:32  

4/2/2011 Prague International Half Marathon 2:03:37

6/04/2011 Silva Nortica Trail Half Marathon 2:14:54

6/18/2011 Olomouc Half Marathon

8/14/2011 Zebrak 25K

Not faster, but farther. Not catch up, but hunt down.

• Miss Gale Miller Amateur 16 posts since
    Nov 20, 2010
    33. Nov 22, 2010 10:42 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Ooh, very good. I did eat late the previous night; a steak salad. Lots of protein there. Maybe that's why I was sluggish?

I will definitely try the pasta the night before - and make certain to eat before 8PM/

Thanks!!

Nov 20, 2010
    34. Nov 22, 2010 10:51 AM (in response to flamomof3)

Uh-oh, I didn't know about that; I started in the middle of the group. More good advice for me!

• MarkMcGuff Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 30, 2008
    35. Nov 22, 2010 10:52 AM (in response to Miss Gale Miller)

Meb Keflezighi

the US olympic marathoner gave me a drink called Generation UCAN. It keeps up the energy and keeps the hunger away.

• Jay206 Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 10, 2010
    36. Nov 22, 2010 8:52 PM (in response to Ravyn82)

For me, I have a few rules I try to follow for race day:

- I hydrate and eat around 2 hours before race time.  For me, this usually involves a bottle of Gatorade and a Clif Bar.

- I try to arrive at least an hour and 15 minutes early.  Showing up early means no stress and easy parking.  It also allows plenty of time for registration/bib pickup and a visit to the bathroom.  Bathrooms always get busy close to race time, so I get this out of the way early.

- I start my warmup 45 minutes before race time.  I usually run a mile somewhere around race pace, just to get a sweat going, then I get in a good stretch.

- 15-30 minutes before race time, I eat a gel.

That's just me, but after a few races, you'll develop your own routine.  Good luck!

-

Nov 20, 2010
    37. Nov 23, 2010 2:24 AM (in response to MarkMcGuff)

Very cool; so what type of races do you enroll in if you are meeting a US/Multi-Olympic Champion & Record Breaking Runner?

The PDF didnt fully download so I couldn't read his first chapter. What is his cause?

Nov 20, 2010
    38. Nov 23, 2010 2:59 AM (in response to Jay206)

I like the idea of establishing a pattern -- I truly want to get into running; I was so motivated the night before, the morning of, and immediately thereafter that I signed up for another 5K when I arrived home.

I am experiencing a strange phenomenon: I haven't been able to sleep for the past two nights. That Saturday, I signed in @ 7AM; ran @ 8AM; went to sauna @ noon; home by 2PM; showered and went shopping; came home and could not sleep until 6AM. I awoke the next day - Sunday @ 2PM; I remained awake until 4AM Monday, (yesterday); and (now), Tuesday I am up until 3AM - still not sleepy. Is this normal? I haven't had coffee for several months - I've been drinking a lot of water (no tea).

Again, I very much like your idea of having a pre-run routine; I'll start logging that into my cell. Thank you, I am gleaning practical/useful information from these threads.

Also, with me being new to this activity, how soon before a Run/Marathon should I start resting? Rather, how soon do I stop activity and save my strength for the run?

Nov 20, 2010
    39. Nov 23, 2010 3:18 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I like that you have your Run/Results posted on your signature line - I enjoy reading them. Do you know if there is a Calendar available on this site? Earlier, I noticed that I can upload "Run Time" but I can't remember where I saw it. (I wonder if it would be posted on a calendar?).

I haven't found the proper "sports wear" for myself - how often to you buy running shoes? I only started running this past August - so other little bits of information I would greatly appreciate - seriously, I am making notes to my cell phone (smile).

• taxijump Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 17, 2010
    40. Nov 23, 2010 10:27 AM (in response to Surfing_Vol)

Ok, so I did it- my first 5k- I did it by myself but I did it. And actually I was faster than I normally have been. I still cant believe I did it in 35 min. b/c I am really slow. It was really cool tho-This week is the Turkey trot as you all know but the weather here in Washington is fierce- so I may wait until spring but keep training. Good luck to all of you that will be doing your first race. Its really not that bad, I have faith in ya all. If I can do it anyone can. I even had to walk a couple times and still did better than I thought. Let me know how it goes for ya all.       

• MarkMcGuff Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 30, 2008
    41. Nov 23, 2010 10:42 AM (in response to MarkMcGuff)

I run with the San Diego Track Club. He grew up in San Diego and knows one of our coaches.

• msmeg Amateur 22 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007
    42. Nov 28, 2010 12:33 PM (in response to Ravyn82)

I just finished my first 5K in three years.  A friend showed up and ran with me, though near the end I dropped back and wound up finishing a minute behind her.   It's funny, but even though I finished faster than any of my training runs, I'm still a little disappointed in my time.  I don't train with water but tried to drink during the race and wound up aspirating some of it, so that I had to walk for a minute or so, sputtering, before I could run again.  (Note to self: don't need water on a 5K, dumb*ss.)  The truth is, I don't know that it's just my time I was disappointed in; some of me is disappointed that it's still so hard to cover that distance.  Which is stupid, 'cause I just recently finished C25K and have only been running 3 mi for a couple of weeks now. 

Anyway, this piece of advice is a no brainer, but remember if you register the day of the event to bring cash, says the person who had to trek out to the car for my checkbook to cover my friend who showed up day off with a credit card. 

Also, my race today was a dog-friendly one and I have to say it was awesome to be able to bring along my four-legged training partner.  It was wet and she got a little cold waiting for the start, but she did well during the run itself.

Started C25K for the third time October 1st.

Finished 11/26/2010

Races:

Hot Buttered Run 5K 11/28/10 37:50

Jingle Bell Run 5K 12/5/10  gun time 37:52  chip time 36:07

• emmaleigh47 Pro 174 posts since
    Jun 24, 2010
    43. Nov 28, 2010 6:49 PM (in response to msmeg)

Wow for your first race that is a great time. I have run several and I would LOVE to see a time that fast. Dont beat yourself up .. for no apparent reason I ALWAYS have better training runs than race runs.

I also have a bit of a ritual, but its unique compared to everyone else

1. I dont eat a thing.. if I do I get side stiches and very sick to my stomach

2. I dont drink a race, if I do I get very sick to my stomach (unfortunately there is a theme here)

3. Sometimes I pee, sometimes I dont... but I know its just nerves and by the time I get to the first mile I no longer have to go anymore so I try to reassure myself of that

Hehe dont do what I have done in two races this season

1. Race was a portsmouth start and I couldnt hear (they start everyone out so many minutes apart based on age) so I almost missed the start and had to SPRINT to the start line... LOL that didnt end well

2. Today we got our bibs/chips etc and then went back to the car, stripped down like usual, gathered our stuff and walked half way to the start line until I realized I forgot my chip timer in the car ... LOL so I had to sprint back to the car to get it and then sprint to the start line... again... probably not the best way to start out!

I agree with the starting slow... every race I do the first mile is 30 seconds -1 minute faster than my usual, and thats with me consciously trying to go slower and pace myself. I cant imagine what would happen if I didnt know how to pace myself!

My other advice (especially for those of us who are slower) is keep your eye on someone ahead of you and watching yourself slowly move into them and pass them. Dont pick someone TOO far away... but you just watch you hold your steady pace and you will do it). I played tag (passed and got passed repeatedly) by a lady with a dog until I finally passed her for good at the halfway point.

After her I had 2 girls about my size in my sights... and I didnt think I would be able to pass them... at mile 2 we played tag ... and I finally pulled ahead and never let them pass me. It gives me extra motivation I guess since I am never going to come in first... or even close to it.

Oh and one more bit of advice... about lining up.

Dont line up in the front... but dont line up so far back that you are behind a TON of walkers. My tip is I always look for the mom with the stroller who is NOT wearing a parka (wearing running clothes) because she is probably fast since she is going to run with a stroller... and then I look for people also near me who are dressed with walkers (heavy jackets, jeans, sweatpants, etc). Yes its a sterotype, but I am usually not caught up too bad in the beginning. This 5K I did today was the first time I have been really caught up in the beginning and it was because I was late and just went wherever!

Good luck to everyone!

Started: July 2010 at 273#

Fox Cities 5K on 9/17: 45:19 (264#)

Shake a Tail Feather 5K on 10/16: 45:09 (254#)

Hope Run for Africa 5K on 10/23: 42:45 (248#)

Jingle Bell Run 5K on 11/6/10: 44:20 (248#)

Turkey Trot 5 mile on 11/25/10: (246#)

Miami ING Half Marathon 3:23:56

Oshkosh Half Marathon 3:16:38 (PR)

Cellcom Half Marathon in GB (horridly windy race) 3:21:56 (244#)

• Robhart101 Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 17, 2010
    44. Nov 28, 2010 7:10 PM (in response to Ravyn82)

I ran my  first race on Thursday, a Turkey Trot 5K.  No formal training, just following threads and blogs like this, and just basically running as much as I can.  First off, thanks to all for great input.  After running my first ever at 29.34 here is my input.  If you are fairly confident on your ability and training, even if you are a newbie, take a shot and start in the middle of the pack. I found I had to run around half of the crowd to get to where the pace was fairly comfortable for me to sustain all the way to the end.  I definitely learned about pace.  And I can see how interval training and pace training to strengthen the final kick can really cut down on times. Learned about layering and making judgement calls on clothing too.  At 62 and just taking up running I felt good about my first running and know that I'm capable of easily dropping 4-5 minutes off my first time.  And now I know what type of training to apply. But really, the input from these threads is great.  The event was fun and fellow runners were friendly and helpful. I'm hooked.  Congratulations to all who ran this weekend.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points