Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

914406 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow Go to original post 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 297 Previous Next
  • MelissaGraham7 Legend 315 posts since
    Nov 2, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    735. Nov 29, 2010 6:07 PM (in response to Roeruns)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

This is really a terrifically supportive group - and the bad posts were extremely rare (first I'd seen in all the posts here for several months).

Anyway, good to have you here and we will all just keep on walking, wogging, jogging, running and waddling!      We're all in it together.

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up!" Dean Karnazes

Equinoxalizer 5K 3/19/2011: Time 37:13; 2nd place in age group!

Dogwood 5K April 29, 2011: Time 36:15

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/18/2011: Time: 61 minutes 15 seconds

Mebane on the Move 10K 09/10/2011: Time 75 minutes 16 seconds; 1st in age group (oldest woman running!)

Valentine's Massacre Marathon Relay 2/12/2012: Team distance 26.2 my pace 12:02 my distance 8 miles

Fleet Feet 4-mile in Chapel Hill 4/22/2012: PR for 11:53 pace!! WOOOHOOO!

Run for the Haw 5K on 5/26/2012: PR for 11:50 pace and First in Age Group! First race in Skele-Toes (minimalist shoes)

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/02/2012:

Yellow Brick Road 5-Miler 07/14/2012:

Keep on running!

• betsyblythe Pro 84 posts since
    May 8, 2008
    736. Nov 29, 2010 6:19 PM (in response to travelnatrn)

>>>travelnatrn - Sure wish I could go to Jamaica - I could really use some sun, warm weather, and of course the beer!  Not actually ready for a marathon yet, but sure wishing I was! 

Good luck on your first - it is such a major accomplishment (and nobody can take it away from you)

So, while you are enjoying yourself, think of me in the freezing cold mountains in central Idaho (I am the one skiing down raising a glass, or perhaps a flask,  cheering you on).

And HAVE FUN!!!!

Betts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Virtual St. Patrick's Day Run - Idaho March 17 - missed/injured

Beat the Doc Canine Run 5k in Eagle Island State Park  March 26 - missed/injured

Twilight 5k in Lewiston/Clarkston April 8.- Complete- 45  min

Komen Race For The Cure - Boise May 7- Complete 30 min

See Jane Run Half Marathon Boise June 18 

Fit for Life on   Boise July 9  

Dirty Dash 10k Boise August 27

Payette Lake Run McCall Sept 4

St Lukes Womens Celebration 5k Boise September 24

City of Trees Half Marathon Boise October 9

• latestarter2 Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 29, 2010
    737. Dec 1, 2010 4:41 PM (in response to Donna914)

Hello!  I too began the c25K day after thanksgiving 2010.  I think I have found my spot on here with the penguins!!  I am 42 year old female in a few weeks and weigh 189lbs.  I have been up and down that scale.  In gyms and out of gyms, eat right , don't eat right. Heck, I could be the trainer of nutrition because I know alot about it but I do not follow it.  I love to exercise but CHOOSE not to, I do take brisk walks and love it. Loved step aerobics and weight lifting.  I really would love to be that person who after all these years never ran/jogged to finish a 5K and be healthy.  I am going to make the choice to do it and do it right.  I am going to complete a 5K and eat right.  I may be a penguin but who said we can't waddle fast!!

Thanks in advance for all the words of encouragement posted here!!!

Marie!

• uncfan74 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 29, 2010
    738. Nov 29, 2010 6:23 PM (in response to MelissaGraham7)

Hey Melissa was just browsing this forum and noticed you will be racing in a Durham 5K. Me  and my fiance reside in Durham and we will probably be in that race as well. We arent penguins but also arent the fastest runners and would like to find people in Durham area to run with sometimes. If you have facebook theirs a runners group for NC traingle area people here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Triangle-Front-Runners/103565929703807?ref=sgm

• emaa32 Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 29, 2010
    739. Nov 29, 2010 6:29 PM (in response to Donna914)

I started C25K a month ago & immediately threw out the distance  measurements; I'm working strictly on time intervals. Doing that &  keeping the pace slow has meant success so far. I've completeed W4 &  I know I can handle Week5 - the last day is a little scary but...LOL

filmes streaming | film streaming | ????? ??? ???? | ?????? ????? ??? ????

• movizup Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 29, 2010
    740. Nov 29, 2010 6:33 PM (in response to Donna914)

thank you so much for this great information !! good work

http://www.moviz-up.com/

• Wayna72 Pro 113 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    741. Nov 29, 2010 6:34 PM (in response to Roeruns)

I understand what you mean about finding a group to run with as newbie to. my issue isnt only that I am slow I ma not a morning person.... during the week I work till 0230 and I am home by 3am. most of the running groups start at 745 am on Saturday. Sorry I cant mess with my sleep pattern. Sunday I go to church when the trailrunning starts. then during the week they run groups start at 545 I have to be at work at 6pm so that doesnt work either.  So for me I decide that I either run or I dont. I am to yucky not to run. so I take my 70 year old mom out to go runing with me. (most of the time she beats me) now that it is cold we go to the Y and do the treadmill. she gets it up to 4.1 mph most of the time and runs for 2 mins at a time on good days in between her hills on her programs that she walks at 3.1 mphs. I am very proud of her.... me I am up to 4 mph for about 15 mins on the treadmill then I start over if I feel like running then I do if not then I walk the hills. I am still very slow on the 5k runs But I am enjoying them to much not to try to either run or walk them.... I am a type 2 diabetic on shots but have been doing much better since running last year about this time... my first run about killed me. at 57 mins I can say that I am at least down to 52 mins now. My AC1 is down as well. I will see what it is next week. as well as down from a size 20 to a 16 (most of them are to big in the hips and waist but the 14s are a little to small as well) I am feeling much better over all. and drive my co-workers crazy about running but it is my drug of choice.... any way I was going to say that here in Tulsa the Ywca had a half-marthon training group for new runners my boy-friend at the time was doing he said it was great. and my neighbor across the streat from where I live at said that the running store that is close has a running group for newbies, I thought maybe trying it because I can give up 30 mins of sleep to run 3.1 mile by march. so you might look into a running store near you to see what they have.

Happy Running to my fellow Penguins.....

ps. When do you stop being new to running after your first 5k ? 10k? halfmarthon? marathon? or do you go by years? races?

Wayna

Will Run 4 Food 5k-56mins (first 5k) 6/5/10
    Walk for Life/Run for Adoptions 9/18/10 51:56
    John 3:16 run 5k 52:57 mins chip time. (all hills) 10/23/10
    Steps for sucess on Route 66 11/22/10 51:09
    Poker Run 2/11 no time
    St Patrick 5K 52mins 3/12/11
    YWCA Race againest Racism 48 min 4/30/11
    Run to the Sun 45:32 9/5/2011
    Route 66 1/2 marathon 11/11 3:43
    Aquarium Run 4/12 3:33
    Tulsa Run 15k 2:22
    Route 66 Marathon. 11/18

• mythic Pro 103 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010
    742. Nov 29, 2010 7:49 PM (in response to Slow Running)

Re: fueling and refueling for a race--I know that my brother--who runs ultra-marathons--basically keeps track/writes down how foods affect him and what works and what doesn't.

It's different for everyone.

When I started mixing up trail running intervals on my weekend hikes, I found the granola bars I used to eat at the half-way point weren't working anymore--too heavy. Now I enjoy (small quantities of) bananas or dates (I make my own LaraBars), and Sharkies.

I can have the powdered Gatorade, but not the premixed-in-the-bottle kind. I have a host of food allergies and sensitivities, so a lot of the premade stuff (gels, etc.) are off my list, as is any non-nutritive sugar substitute or 'modified' sugars (Splenda, Erythritol etc.).  For sweeteners other than cane sugar: Stevia seems to be okay (though I detect an aftertaste), and I like agave nectar. I hear brown rice syrup is also good and may be easier on the stomach to digest for some.

Experiment--and take notes!  And good luck

C25K Graduate 10-30-10

"Do it now. You become successful the moment

you start moving toward a worthwhile goal."

~Samuel Johnson

• travelnatrn Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010
    743. Nov 30, 2010 2:19 AM (in response to betsyblythe)

hey thanks betsyblythe for the support. i am scared to death though. i am sore from a trail race i did this past weekend ( i was the last finisher) and i feel like i am coming down with something. well i am going to run anyway. I PAID MY MONEY lol. its beautiful in Utah I am from Colorado originally. i am enjoying this sight andhope everyone is doing well and tell about christmas runs

• travelnatrn Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010
    744. Nov 30, 2010 2:22 AM (in response to MelissaGraham7)

melissawood 7 good luck keep us informed you are the bomb

• Kristy Burleyson Pro 62 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    745. Nov 30, 2010 2:54 AM (in response to travelnatrn)

I could sure use some sun and warmth right now.  I'm miserable if its below 60, plus we are expecting several inches of rain today.  What a beautiful place to run!  Have fun and run steady

Nov 2, 2010
    746. Nov 30, 2010 4:10 AM (in response to uncfan74)

Thanks so much for the link.  I am going to try really hard to get up enough confidence to join in.  It looks fun.  Our local group (Mebane) said I was a little too slow for the evening groups but okay for Saturday - which sort of bummed me out but I understand.  But I love the track workout idea-  it looks great.  Anyway, I'm only doing 14-15 minute miles, although once I did a 12 minute mile barefoot.  LOL.   Anyway, if I can get up my nerve, I will try to jump in.  I know I just need to leap in and not fear looking stupid.    Plus, if I can't get the nerve to join a group how will have the nerve for the 5K??

Thanks for sharing.   I'll google where Fetzer Field is located.  Would love any and all encouragement.   hahahahahaha.  

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up!" Dean Karnazes

Mebane on the Move 10K 09/10/2011: Time 75 minutes 16 seconds; 1st in age group (oldest woman running!)

Valentine's Massacre Marathon Relay 2/12/2012: Team distance 26.2 my pace 12:02 my distance 8 miles

Run for the Haw 5K on 5/26/2012: PR for 11:50 pace and First in Age Group! First race in Skele-Toes (minimalist shoes)

Keep on running!

• Dee4279 Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 30, 2010
    747. Nov 30, 2010 4:27 AM (in response to latestarter2)

I've been reading some of the threads on Calling all Penguins and I just have to say the stories are very familiar. I am a forty-three year old female who just started running this past year. For many years I had a goal to be able to run two miles a day like I did when I was younger. I could never believe I would be able to meet that goal. Mostly I never tried, because I weighed 288 pounds. A year and a half ago I finally took control of my life. Yes that's right I finally figured out that it's my life, not my bosses life, not the ex husbands life, not my kids life, but mine. And I have safely lost 103 pounds so far. I found a great gym (Monkey Bar Gym) that really helped me learn to exercise. And this past summer I actually attained my goal, two miles, no stopping. I'm not fast, I've only improved from fifteen minute miles to thirteen minute miles if I'm really working. Now I run two miles every day and once or twice a week I run for three to five miles, again no stopping. There is a 5k here in Wisconsin called the Crazy Legs in the spring and I want that to be my next goal. I'm worried about running in the snow. Anyone out there have any tips?

• coolbikermom Legend 418 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    748. Nov 30, 2010 4:44 AM (in response to Dee4279)

Melissa, pull up your big girl panties and get your butt out there on Saturday! What's the worst thing that could happen? Seriously. Fear will keep you from achieving all you are capable of. Fear of failure, fear of embarrassment. The group are the living and breathing embodiment of what we have here. Take a chance. If you find the group isn't for you, then you have lost nothing. Right?

Dee, Try Yaktrax. I wear them walking when it snows here and they work great! http://www.yaktrax.com/pro

C25k dropout

Rock the Parkway 5k 3/27/10  37:40.6

Mother's Day 5k  5/9/10  33:19

Walk/Run for Isaiah 9/18/10 4.4k 37:26

Harvest Moon 10k 10/23/10  1:08.50

Great Santa 5k 12/5/10 33:22

Carlsbad half marathon 1/23/11

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." ~Albert Einstein

Nov 2, 2010
    749. Nov 30, 2010 5:35 AM (in response to coolbikermom)

Thanks so much for the encouragement.  I so appreciate it!! 

Keep on running!

1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 297 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...