Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4667 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2011 5:11 PM by kvermil RSS
LemonaidLucy Legend 332 posts since
Sep 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 23, 2010 5:59 AM

Saucony Progrid Triumph, Brooks Glycerine or Mizuno Wave Creation

The title says it all:-) I need a second pair shoes and can't choose. I have been running in Asics Nimbus 12 and I love them. But I'd like to try something else.I've done some search and came down to those three mentioned in the title.

I run mostly on asfalt and dirt roads (solid) and I'm rather a light runner (5'8'', 124 lb).

I've read a lot of reviews but still not sure. Please share your experience!

Thanks!

Lucie

PB 5k (training): 25:32, PB 10K (training): 56:05, PB 20k: 1:55:13, PB half marathon: 2:01:32  

4/2/2011 Prague International Half Marathon 2:03:37

6/04/2011 Silva Nortica Trail Half Marathon 2:14:54

6/18/2011 Olomouc Half Marathon

8/14/2011 Zebrak 25K

Not faster, but farther. Not catch up, but hunt down.

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I'm not so sure that I'd buy shoes online before I've had a chance to try them on. Get down to your local running shop, try each of them on and run for at least a few hundred yards in them before you plunk down your hard earned cash. Your feet and legs will thank you for it.

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• njnitehawk Expert 50 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010

i have used saucony progrid triumph for a few years(i guess the saucony name in relation to running help me make that choice)

but 7 months ago i went with Brooks Glycerine 8

that is an awesome shoe,everything about the shoe is good

no more saucony for me but i still look at the shoe but i will buy Brooks

• Tedwood Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 9, 2010

Hey LemonaidLucy.
    One of the running shoes i would heavily recommend is the saucony progrid kinvara due to the fact you said you mainly run on "asfalt and dirt roads". The grip on the bottom on the progrid kinvara helps you with these surfaces and is a great stability running shoe. Take a look at that link as it has a picture as well =]

Thanks, Ted

Top running shoe reviews including Asics, Adidas, Nike, Mizuno, New Balance and Reebok all reviewed!

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007

Tedwood wrote:

Hey LemonaidLucy.
    One of the running shoes i would heavily recommend is the saucony progrid kinvara due to the fact you said you mainly run on "asfalt and dirt roads". The grip on the bottom on the progrid kinvara helps you with these surfaces and is a great stability running shoe. Take a look at that link as it has a picture as well =]

Thanks, Ted

I race in Kinvaras, and include them in my training rotation for fast sessions.  I would never call Kinvaras stability shoes.  There are no stability elements added to the shoe, and the only feature that would contribute to stability is the low heel-to-toe drop (they are very flat in comparison to most running shoes).

That said, I'm a big runner and haven't had any problems in Kinvaras, so a lighter runner should have no problem.  I'm not sure how long they will last, though.  After my first run in them there was notable wear on the outsole.  I have less than 100 miles on them, and they are holding up, but I'm not willing to make a prediction as to how long they will last.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010

LemonaidLucy - You are a neutral runner, right?  I have the Mizuno Wave Creation and I love them.  But I also have Saucony Progrid 3 and I really like them also.  Don't laugh - I also have a pair of Brooks Trainers that are very light and comfortable to run in, but they definitely let my feet get colder in this colder weather.  I am storing them for the spring.  I have never run in the Glycerine but someday I might try it.  I actually went to a running store and tried on shoes, then I bought the Mizuno and Brooks on eBay and found a great deal on the Saucony at Finish Line for 29.00.

Good luck, buying the right shoes makes all the difference.

Melinda

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010

The Brooks Glycerin 8 is a lightweight, versatile shoe recommended for distance runners with a neutral or underpronating foot classification.  The Mizuno Creation 12 may be the ideal shoe for your needs. This state of the art creation is crafted for neutral and underpronating runners, and will challenge your previous concept of what a smooth running shoe should be.

Both shoes are designed for the neutral to underpronator, which is the same as the Asics Nimbus.  HOwever, I tend to lean towards the Brooks Glycerin because it has much more color options and a cool design, and it is equal if not more comfortable than the Mizuno Creation... Good Luck & Happy Running!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!
  • kvermil Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 19, 2009

I will tell you I have spent alot of money trying to find the right shoe, and finally found the Saucony to be the best. It seems to hold up from the snow rain dirt, I am getting about 250-300 miles on a pair, with my weight of 215 and height of 6'4 I assume that is pretty good.

I have a pair of the Brooks and I didnt have to many miles on them, but after one half marathon the tread started to come off, so a bit of glue they became daily wear.

So good luck but I have had 6 pairs of Saucony over the last couple years, a couple of styles and each one has preformed well, I always have two pairs, and alternate.

Goodluck

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...