Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4715 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2010 12:58 PM by ValWindyRun RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Moronica Rookie 5 posts since
Nov 30, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 30, 2010 7:43 AM

Lost in fat

Once upon a time I was skinny, about 110 pounds at 5 feet.  Then I gained 50 pounds in three months.  Then I lost 45 pounds and kept it off for almost 3 years.  Then I quit smoking, got married and moved.  I gained 20 pounds in that process.  Then I lost 18 pounds, but got pregnant right after that.  Now, at 210 pounds, I am 40 pounds heavier than I have ever been.  I am winded when I walk, and my joints ache like I'm an old person, and I'm only 31.  I know that if I don't do something now, I will die at a young age.  I know that nutrition is a huge part of weight loss, but I'm hoping that this program along with better eating habits will help expedite the weight loss so that I can feel better faster and really become motivated to take my life back.  The journey to 110 pounds seems insurmountable right now, even though I know it's possible.  I feel so trapped in my fat-body that I barely remember what it's like to be thin and healthy.  I'm looking for some cheerleaders to help me start with some awesome motivation.  I can't wait to read through the threads on this site to find stories that will inspire me to start, and motivate me to continue when I am feeling like I can't continue.

Thanks for being here, and thanks for reading.

• RunningErika Expert 39 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    1. Nov 30, 2010 8:57 AM (in response to Moronica)
    Re: Lost in fat

I wish you the best of luck on your journey to a healthier "You"!  You took a big step in the right direction - and I hope as you continue on, you will celebrate each of the milestones. Again, good luck and you can do this!

Erika

www.running5kraces.com

• Lola67 Pro 69 posts since
    Oct 24, 2010
    2. Nov 30, 2010 9:27 AM (in response to Moronica)

Moronica- I will be your cheerleader! I am on WK4D2 of the CT5K program and have lost 9 pounds so far, but it has actually been about 7 weeks since I started the program. On WK4 I got runners knee and had to take almost 3 weeks off from running or any other form of exercise. At first I couldn't believe that I had to struggle through 60 seconds of running, today I am excited I can do 5 minutes straight. This program is amazing, not only do I enjoy running now I also find myself eating to help my running. I have about 30 more pounds to lose and I am hoping to still lose during the holidays or at least not gain.

Wishing you lots of luck!

Started CT5K 10.18.2010

Graduated 12.27.2010

1st 5K 01.29.2011 PR 00.33.40

• junksuz12 Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 30, 2010
    3. Nov 30, 2010 10:44 AM (in response to Moronica)

I too will be your cheerleader!!  I completely understand how you feel.  Just take it one step at a time and don't get discouraged!  You can do it!!!

• AaAu Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 30, 2010
    4. Nov 30, 2010 11:57 AM (in response to Moronica)

Hey There,

Good luck. There will come a time when you find yourself enjoying it. It will come as a suprise. My friend sent me a link the colder boulder. Saw a message thread for new runners and read your post. I do not blog. I do not post messages. No facebook (If I havent spoke to you in ten years there is probably a reason for it). This is the first time I have ever responded to anyone online. However your story sounded so similar to where I was 6 years ago that I had to write you and tell you that it is not only possible but that you can do it. It is excruciating, but it is not that hard. Do not think about changing your life all at once. Make little changes and let them settle into the fabric of your life. Three things: medical, exercise, and food...

Medical:

Sounds like you might have sleep apnea. Get into a sleep clinic and have it checked. It is a life changer. In college I weighed 190 lbs, worked as a bouncer and went on archaeological expeditions to central america and the middle east. I was a thin, tough, bad ***. After graduating and moving to TX, I gained weight and wound up at 300 lbs. I was depessed and in pain all the time. I found a great doctor after firing three or four. He suggested a sleep clinic after non-response to typical antidepressants. I had two types of sleep apnea. What they call "combined type" it is a mixture of obstructive sleep apnea, where the soft palate collapses into the esophagus and cuts off air flow as soon as you fall asleep. You wake up, fall back to sleep, stop breathing, wake up and repeat. The other is central sleep apnea that is generally the result of a head injury and involves the brain not signaling the lungs to bring in air after you pass stage two sleep. I have been sleeping with a small face mask and positive air flow the last five years and just completed a MS degree at CSM. It has made a huge difference. Because of the recent weight loss I no longer have an obstructive apnea, however I will always have the central apnea from a prior head injury. The other common thing to check in your age range is thyroid issues. Hyper and hypothyroidism can cause weight fluctuations and lethargy.

Food:

Screw it. Calories in, calories out. Once you rule out medical issues, try small substitutions at first. Start to cut out refined flour and refined sugar when you have the option. Corn tortillas instead of fluor for quesadillas, Sprouted grain bread instead of wonder. Sprouted grain bread is a nice healthy source of protien. I still cheet and suck down a pint of haagen daz, but I do it once every couple of months instead of a couple of times a week. Force yourself to have a banana and an apple once a day. Don't feel bad when you don't though. Other than that let your body crave things. As you begin this journey your diet will auto correct to some extent. Don't worry to much about it. If you feel like a salad, have a salad, if you feel like a steak, have a steak. But start to think about what you are putting into your body (this from someone who has mcdonalds for breakfast almost every morning... but I make up for it the rest of the day) and start to listen to your body and what it is telling you it needs. Might be a guiness and a burger one day and then salad and pasta the next.

Exercise:

Two years ago I weighed 270, Better than 300, but not ideal. I started running. And a weekly pilates class. I was a bouncer in red neck bars during college and the idea of pilates seemed stupid to me. But it was suggested by a very pretty young woman who was the little sister of a good friend. Strange what you will try to do to impress a girl. I think the combination was important. The pilates began to strengthen my core which reduced the impact of running allowing me to enjoy it more than I thought I would. I had tried physical therapy and yoge. Pilates was gentle, yet firm, and I noticed a positive difference after the very first lesson. It gets you in touch with you muscles and your body in general beyond "just the core." How I started:

1. Went to runners roost in lakewood and got a decent pair of running shoes with some supportive inserts (love montrail brand inserts). Several memebrs of their staff ran college cross country at CSM and I asked them a lot of questions. They were wonderful. Not once did they say "give it up fat ***, ... try water aerobics." Which I had feared walking in there. They put me on the treadmill and video taped my speed waddle, then recommended a couple of shoes that would work well. I used to sell sporting goods and knew to get two different pairs of running shoes and alternate between them. This allows the rubber in the sole to rebound fully after a run before the next use. It will triple the life of your running shoes and is good for your feet to have to adapt to a different shoe each day. Prevents some repetitive use problems. I use Nike Air Structure triax for trails and light days (1-3 miles), and Asics for my long days (4-9 miles). I have been a fan of these two companies for years. Tried others, always come back. An insert that has a firm, solid arch and heel will help a lot also. As mentioned before, I have had great luck with Montrail inserts and have purchased many for friends and family.

2. Drove around my beighborhood with my car and marked out a half mile loop, a one mile loop and a 1.2 mile loop. I began with one mile as a baseline and kept track of my miles and times. At first it was one mile three or four times a week after studying. I started off mainly walking a roughly 22 minute mile. I then began trying to run (jog, speed waddle, whatever you want to call it) a block, then rest and walk a block. The first time I jogged the entire mile felt amazing. It happened by accident. From there I started gradually running more than walking and upping the miles. I was running to lose weight to avoid epidurals. I had had three back injuries and a double hernia repair in the course of four years. The first year and a half I was taking heavy pain mediction to be able to run. In the last year I have been running without medication, Had to learn how to run all over again. The first block or two is still the worst. On longer runs that first mile is just a stubborn grudge match. I try to hate the pavement that first mile. Then my body loosens, and remembers what it is doing... and then ..well, ...you will figure it out.

3. I talked to friends who ran. They lent me books (galloway is great), I started reading runners world magazine and talking to people. Joined a couple of small 5k and 7k races with friends.

There are weeks that I run 30 miles, and weeks that I run only 5. If I take a week or two off, then I try to be good for a few weeks. If I go hard for a few weeks, I will give myself a few days off. Just try to think of it as part of my life now. And a part that I enjoy.

So where am I now, other than unemployed and looking for a job? After two and a half years I am down to between 180 and 185 lbs depending on the week. I have gone from the beginning pilates class to the advanced. I have gone from a 22 minute walking mile to averaging 12 minutes for lazy days and can hit mid ten minute miles if pushing. If I try to kill myself I can go just under ten minutes at like 9 minutes 50 seconds or close. My personal life is in shambles. My professional life is on hold. But, ... I have an active life. I run and hike and swim and skateboard in the parking garage late at night. These are things that I all but gave up on after successive injuries and setbacks, I have four great friends who inspired me and encouraged me. Not because they didn't like me when I was fat. I was much happier. I am skinny now, but much less jolly. They didn't harass me for being overweight or ever comment on it. They inspired and encouraged by example. By little suggestions and tips and nudges. As a result I enjoy the outdoors again. I like running in the cold and the heat and the snow and the rain. I have learned to enjoy running hills and go running in the flatirons once every week or two. I like runnning late at night when the town is asleep (no traffick, I can run in the middle of the road ... I am a large scary looking man so the safety concerns are minimal for me), I like running in the morning because of the angles of the sunlight, and in the middle of the day to feel the sun on my face. I can not be a cheerleader for you. I am hardly ever online and I am going through a misanthropic phase at the moment. But, being in the middle of the journey that you are starting... I wanted to wish you luck. And tell you to be gentle with yourself and your goals. Forgive yourself when you need a day off or decide on pizza for all three meals. Remember once you start, that rest is training also. Your body and your muscles need time to repair and re-train. You will do just great. Poco a poco mi compadre. (Little by little my friend).

• Fliegenschwein Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 13, 2010
    5. Nov 30, 2010 4:07 PM (in response to Moronica)

Try http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Its been a life changer for me. I`ve lost 26lb in 12 weeks and I`m on W4 of c25k which would have been impossible only 2 months ago. It really is awesome and its totally free.

Good luck

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Nov 30, 2010 4:25 PM (in response to Moronica)

I graduated the c25k in October. I'm  running 3 to 4 days a week now and I also changed what I eat and I stay active 6 days a week. All of this has helped me to lose weight.   Good Luck

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    7. Nov 30, 2010 6:22 PM (in response to Moronica)

Congrats on taking the first step to getting healthier.  You can do this, just take your time.  If you need to repeat some weeks, just repeat them.

Want some motivation?  Stop over at the 200+ Pound Club, read some of those stories, you will find that motivation.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

• Lola67 Pro 69 posts since
    Oct 24, 2010
    9. Dec 1, 2010 11:13 AM (in response to Moronica)

Soon you will be running 5 minutes straight looking back and saying "wow on week 1 I couldn't even jog I had to walk fast for most of it." I just came in from WK4D2 and I am so proud to finish the last 5 minute run even though I really had to push myself not to stop!

Keep moving!

Started CT5K 10.18.2010

Graduated 12.27.2010

1st 5K 01.29.2011 PR 00.33.40

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Hey Moronica, how's it going? A bit about me, I'm not fat, I workout, really try to eat right and I run. Ok, that's out of the way, I feel so much better.

Firstly, congrats on being open and honest, that's a great first step. And, while it's definitely not the most difficult step, it's a pretty big deal. Secondly, it's impossible to out-train a poor diet. If you're anything like me, eating right and, when I say "right", I mean putting the correct type sof fuel into your body using appropriate amounts, is the hardest thing to master. As far as exercise, running is fantastic and starting out walking is a good way to go. Don't push it but stay consistent. Hang in there, eat right, keep cranking with the exercise and you'll get there. 110 can totally be a reality if you adjust your lifestyle to living like a person who weighs 110lbs.

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007

willwrite4chocolatee wrote:

How am i trying to get you riled up. I just laugh at people who ask other fat people how to get in shape. Would you ask a dentist who had rotten teeth how to take care of your teeth?

Well, you look like a puppy in your picture.  Should people ask your advice on "sit," "stay," "heel" and things of that sort?

And are you saying that someone who has lost significant weight -- 50 or more pounds -- but is still "fat" doesn't have anything worth saying?  Or that your "insights" are more valid than that person's?

Am I trying to rile you?  No, just trying to get you to think before posting.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• NCHulk Legend 247 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    12. Dec 1, 2010 4:30 PM (in response to Moronica)

The journey to 110 pounds seems insurmountable right now, even though I know it's possible. 

It most certainly is possible.  I set a goal of 100 lbs. and right now I'm over half way there.  We can do it together.

Arthur

"It does not get easier... you get stronger"

"Once I decided quitting wasn't an option, the rest was easy." - Michele

HARD WORK - DEDICATION!!!

• Kristy Burleyson Pro 62 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    13. Dec 1, 2010 5:13 PM (in response to Moronica)

don't look at the entire amount you have to loose - instead set small goals, like the first 10%.  Celebrate when you reach that.  Way to go for getting out and walking brisk.  That is the first step.  Keep going, even when you 'fall off the wagon'.  Just get back on, remember your goal to be healthier (and thinner) and go.  You are doing fabulous just getting started.  There is a ton on encouragement on this board.  It took a lot to just reach out and be so transparent.  Keep going, keep posting, and don't look back!!!!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...