Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1045 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 2, 2010 8:55 AM by Joe_h1
bboggz Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 1, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 1, 2010 5:15 PM

Question(s) about training for the paddle portion of a triathalon

I'm considering partnering with some friends to do a team triathalon that will include a 1.5 mile paddle on a class 1 stream, which will be my portion.  I've been on a kayak probably twice before and enjoyed it and feel comfortable that I can get my body in shape in the five or so months I have until race day (I'm currently well out of shape and not excersing regularly).  However, I have no idea how long it should take me to paddle 1.5 miles.  Can anyone out there give me an idea of what time I should shoot for on race day?  I also do not plan to purchase a kayak (the event has multiple vendors already set up to rent kayaks to competitors) and therefore won't have access to one prior to race day.  I could venture to some local spots in the spring when it warms up to do some paddling, but I expect to do very little real paddling if any prior to race day.  What form of exercises should I do to help train for paddling other than general cardio?  Are there any other suggestions for what I should do to help prepare?  Thanks in advance to all.

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

wow no clue most tri's are a swim not a kayak. just my .02 but would be a good idea to get on the water as much as possible to get ready for this. contact the RD/sponsors and see if they can hook you up. good luck and have fun

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points