Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1523 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2010 6:21 AM by Scrufffy RSS
Bronx Runner Rookie 4 posts since
Aug 25, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 25, 2010 6:32 PM

New running shoes two weeks before marathon??

I've been running in Nimbus 12's for most of this training cycle. I tried getting a new pair, and it took until today to get them. And so now I'm in a quandry. I have the old pair, which have 352 miles on them. And I have the new pair, which are brand new. I'm running the NYC marathon on Nov 7 - which according to my plan leaves under 30 miles of training to go.

The old pair doesn't really bother me - I have no pain. Is it too late for the new pair to "break in" and I should keep using the old ones through the marathon? (About 400 miles.) Or will the new pair give me a little extra cushioning and maybe make the race easier in the end?

I've seen some places say that running shoes these days don't need to be broken in. But the new shoes do feel a little bit stiffer than the old ones.

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

• Tedwood Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 9, 2010
    1. Nov 6, 2010 1:38 PM (in response to Bronx Runner)
    Re: New running shoes two weeks before marathon??

Hi Bronx personally i would stick with your old pair of Asics gel nimbus 12 running shoes. You may question this because you said the new ones may offer more cushioning. The reason is that the old ones have been reliable and are more flexible, you don't want to go in on race day and find out your old pair are hurting within 3 miles. Stick with your old pair and start training with your new pair after the marathon =]

Top running shoe reviews including Asics, Adidas, Nike, Mizuno, New Balance and Reebok all reviewed!

• Scrufffy Legend 252 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010
    2. Dec 3, 2010 6:21 AM (in response to Bronx Runner)
    Re: New running shoes two weeks before marathon??

About 30 years ago I ran my first marathon. A week before the race, my trusty shoes seperated the sole on the right shoe. I tried to glue it  back, but it failed on the first run. I had to buy a new pair of shoes. At around mile 22 of the marathon, I found myself sitting on the side of the road at a meat wagon with my shoes and socks off, putting gobbs of vasline on the balls of my feet.  I had huge blisters under tha calouses on both feet. The rest of the run was not to much fun!

My advice ever since is to ALWAYS have two pairs of running shoes that you have borken in and are not near the end of their practical life.

During my intense running days, I switched brands (Addias to Brooks)  and the new shoes gave me severe pain in both knees. Be very cautious  changing types or brands.When I buy a new pair I phase them in. The first run is always a short easy run just to make sure that they cause no problems.  Then I up the length and speed on the runs I use them until I have 100% confidence in them.  I just ordered a pair of Newtons. I plan to be very careful because  they involve not only a different level and type of support, but they  encourage a different stride/foot plant.

When I started running again this summer, I started back to my two pair at a time routine and it paid off big time as my dog tore the upper part of the shoe where the laces anchor on one of my shoes.  She's a terrier and there is no dog toy that she cannot destroy!

Anyway good luck. Changing shoes involves risk and should be planned at least as well as changing the tires on your car!

Spa5k, 11/04/10, 30:58 2nd place senior

Peace and Love 5k 3/16/11 29:05 1st place senior

Toad Suck Daze 5k 30 April 11, 28:29 1st place age group

2011 Spa 5k 11/19/11 25:55 1st place senior Personal Best, 2nd career

Looking for a 10 k to run and if that goes well, a HM next spring

A body at rest tends to stay .... on the couch!

Jack

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points