Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4868 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2010 10:56 PM by mlmlm RSS 1 2 Previous Next
sdot88 Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 3, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 2, 2010 8:59 PM

Having trouble keeping balance of "health" and weight loss

So I have been running for about 10 weeks now, and I have lost 19lbs. (I am 5'8" male, weight started at 299)Before you start the congrats, for the first 4 weeks, I didnt lose a pound and there were no improvements save bigger quads. I was eating around 2500 calories a day, and that was cutting back. I ate a great diet of mostly protein, vegetables and fruit, with some carbs on the side. Anyways, after not seeing any weight loss, I started cutting down, first to 2000, then to 1500 and only at eating around 1200 calories would I lose weight. However, I started seeing a doctor every week to track progress, and even though I was losing weight, he said my vitals were going downhill a little, my pulse was weak and he had a hard time finding it. So fast forward to thanksgiving week, I attended many family gatherings throughout the week and was out of town, unable to hit the gym, and eating much more than I had been. After that week of "damage", the doctor was very surprise at how my blood pressure and pulse had improved, but I had gained 6 lbs. This week I started my routine up again of 1200 cal/day and 5 running sessions a week, and it has been terrible, between being overly hungry and only being able to make it through 20-30 minutes of the workout. (BTW, my workout is 20x 2 min intervals, 1:10 jogging at 5.5mph and 50 walking at 3 mph, I have been trying to increase the jogging and decrease walking but I have not been able to yet).

Any advice? Anyone else have similar problems?

• fit4lifenc Expert 40 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010

Bro you've cut your calories way to much. To maintian your current weight would require somewhere in the neighborhood of 3600 calories a day. Your maintinance level is around 3600 calories give or take depending on age. For weight loss you should reduce your calories by at least 500, but not more than 1000 below your maintenance level.

For you I would go no lower than 2500 calories a day for weight loss. 1200 calories just isnt enough for a guy your size your not getting enough nutrients

and its probably got your body thinking your in a starvation state. This is gonna cause your metabolism to slow to a crawl. Could also cause you to lose muscle mass as well.

My suggestion is start at 3000 calories a day and if you dont lose go down to 2500. GIVE IT TIME before you assume its not working at least 2-3

weeks. Sometimes id hit a plateau and wouldnt seem to lose any weight for 3 weeks then bam week 4 id drop 5lbs or so.

Realize sometimes you wont see weightloss every week. Everyone hits weightloss plateaus.

Eat non processed foods!!!! Green veggies, fruits, chicken breast, tuna, oats. whole grains. Try to cut back on bread as well even wheat can cause a insulin spike. Crystal lite is ok if you get tired of all water.

Get your 2500-3000 calories a day by eating small portions  5-6 times a day . Drink at least a gallon of water a day. Water water water is important!!!!

Do some form of cardio 4-5 times a week 30-45 minutes.

If you cant lose weight by strictly following  this suggestion get your thyroid checked or temporaliy try a low carb diet and see how that works for you. I dont advocate going low carbs your whole life but some people tend to lose weight a lot faster doing it. People are different.

Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated-

<br>

Gladiator 5k Obstacle Race Cary, NC 63 out of 776 (10 percentile)

http://www.runtheeast.com/results/2011/Gladiator5KOverallResults.htm

Run for the Roses Raleigh, NC 123 out of 473 (26 percentile)

http://results.active.com/pages/displayNonGru.jsp?rsID=105706

<br>

• 1 mile track run PR 5:58
    • Max Bench 350 lbs http://youtu.be/RR-yNmt8RdU
    • Body weight bench 25 Reps
    • 20 dead hang pull ups no kipping crap
    • 80 pushups
    • @ 5"11 195 lbs 37 y/o

• Jay206 Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 10, 2010

Just reading that you're only eating 1200 calories/day made me really nervous for you.  That is not healthy and you need to stop doing that NOW.

The advice fit4lifenc gave you was right on.  The most amount of weight a healthy person should lose is 2 pounds/week.  A pound of fat is 3500 calories, so if you cut 1000/day, you'll lose 2 pounds/week in a healthy fashion.  The Mayo Clinic website has a calorie calculator where you can get a general read on how many calories you should be consuming to maintain your current weight.

• coolbikermom Legend 418 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010

Your weight loss journey is going to take months, not weeks. I agree with the other posters here, do not restrict your calories too much.

You mentioned you had bigger quads after the first 4 weeks but had not lost any weight. I would bet that you lost body fat, but you gained muscle mass. The net result is zero on the scale, but huge in terms of improving your lean muscle mass, which is a very good thing. If you look at folks who build muscle easily, their BMI may be outside of the healthy range because their body composition is very dense.

You have to eat to lose weight. You don't want to throw your body into starvation mode because it'll hold on to everything it can and your metabolism will plummet. You also have to eat to fuel your body for activity.

Quit fretting over the scale. Throw it out, or just don't step on it very frequently. Go by how your body feels, how your clothes look. You will eventually start shrinking. Run for health, not for weight loss. Eat well for fueling your body. Try different things and see what works best for you. Do these things and the weight loss will come. Slowly, gradually. That's the right way to do it.

C25k dropout

Rock the Parkway 5k 3/27/10  37:40.6

Mother's Day 5k  5/9/10  33:19

Walk/Run for Isaiah 9/18/10 4.4k 37:26

Harvest Moon 10k 10/23/10  1:08.50

Great Santa 5k 12/5/10 33:22

Carlsbad half marathon 1/23/11

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." ~Albert Einstein

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

fit4lifenc is right on and he is a Tar Heel (my daughter is attending UNC).  This journey needs to be for life not a short quick thing!  You need to eat 5 times a day instead of not eating, that will help your metabolism keep working instead of shutting down.  You need to keep your training in the 70-75% HR zone to max your aerobic training benefit and also your fat burning capability.  Eat more often just lower the amount of each meal to equal your daily total calories.  Healthy for life should be all our goals.

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

When you say "mostly protein, vegetables and fruit", what does that mean? What are you eating for protein and how much of it are you eating? And, what are the "some carbs on the side"? Sounds to me like you could be starving yourself, that would certainly explain the vitals and the difficulty that you're having with exercise.

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I agree with the other posters.. your not eating enough. I eat protein at every meal, I have 2 apples everyday and I drink a lot of water.

• fit4lifenc Expert 40 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010

Congrats its a great school. I didnt go there but was born and raised in NC and always been a UNC fan

One more thing to the OP. You can even lose weight on the scale but gain Bf%!!! Yes its possible. Your body will break down muscle and burn it for fuel if you are not giving it enough calories.

This is very bad.

Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated-

<br>

Gladiator 5k Obstacle Race Cary, NC 63 out of 776 (10 percentile)

http://www.runtheeast.com/results/2011/Gladiator5KOverallResults.htm

Run for the Roses Raleigh, NC 123 out of 473 (26 percentile)

http://results.active.com/pages/displayNonGru.jsp?rsID=105706

<br>

• 1 mile track run PR 5:58
    • Max Bench 350 lbs http://youtu.be/RR-yNmt8RdU
    • Body weight bench 25 Reps
    • 20 dead hang pull ups no kipping crap
    • 80 pushups
    • @ 5"11 195 lbs 37 y/o

• This IS my race pace Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007

Here is something my doc told me when I got my physical and told her about my run/weight loss plan, and it made sense to me.

#1:  Eat properly.  Quality of calories count, but you're burning more so your body is using more.

#2:  THE BIGGIE!  This deals with "plateaus".  People lose a lot of weight in the beginning of any diet or exercise program because your body isn't used to it.  What ever your starting size is, this is what your body accepts as "normal".  Your body will allow you to lose weight up to a certain point, but after a while it will say, "Hey!  I'm losing my stored energy and my survival may be in danger.  I better dial it back" so it goes into survival mode.  Survival mode means it conserves/stores as much as it can because your body believes that even though you may weigh even 500 lbs., that 500 is "normal" and you are going below it.  This is why people gain back more weight than what they started with when they stop following a diet plan.  Body says, "That crazy SOB tried to starve me to death so I'm going to add some insurance energy for the next time he tries to kill me" so you actually gain weight.

This is where people blow it.  When they plateau.  Doc says to keep the faith, keep doing what you're doing and push through the plateau.  It may take a day, it may take a week, it may take two weeks.  STICK WITH IT.  Why?  Because eventually your body will say, "Hey!  I didn't die!  I'm ok" and then it RECALIBRATES it's perception of "normal" to the new, lower weight.  Once this happens, the cycle begins again where it will allow consumption of stored calories and the loss of weight until it hits the, "Oh my god I'm starving and I'm going to die if I keep this up" point again.  Another plateau.  Work through the plateau, body recalibrates to your new, lower weight as "normal", and off you go again ad nauseum.

One of the biggest things to remember here is everyone is different.  Weight loss cycle may be a week, a month - whatever.  Plateau cycle may be a day, a week, possibly even a month.  It's your body and your body will behave as IT wants to, not as you want it to.  What I would highly recommend to you is to join one of the free diet tracker sites on the web.  I joined FitDay and it was great.  It allowed me to track my daily intake, but it also had a section where it tracked my weight loss.  Set up a starting and ending date along w/ a desired end weight and it plotted out how much on average I needed to lose per week.  But the best thing about it is it has a graph function where you can track your progress.  This is great because you can actually SEE your weight loss and plateau cycles, and after the first or second one you can predict when each is going to happen and what to expect.  I weighed myself 2x/wk, Weds. and Sunday a.m. when I first got out of bed after using the bathroom.

It took you a while to reach 300 lbs., it's going to take a while to get rid of it.  Have patience and keep the faith.  Get your eating down right and you'll be golden.  And remember that everyone here is pulling for you.

• SnackerChris Pro 163 posts since
    Dec 8, 2010

I concur with most of the other advice!  I started at 325lb in January.  I am 211 pounds now.   I used the basic BMR formulas to get a targeted calorie range for what I thought would be a reasonable weight (around 200lbs - Im 6'0") for me.   I took about two months to get my calorie level down to that point and have been in "maintenance" mode since then.  Since I weighed so much I am slowly 2lbs/weekish getting to the place I had targeted.   I have used exercise to accelerate this and push me through plateaus (and I have had several).  I am the point now that wherever my weight goes based on the calories I am used to will be fine with me.  I feel healthy!  I am off of BP and cholesterol meds!  I started running in September.   I have my first 5K Saturday, but I already know I can do it, because I do it pretty much every day already!

You can do it too!  Just stay reasonable and stick to your plan!

FLIP THE SWITCH! If I can lose 130 pounds in a year without pills or surgeries or food programs, so can you!

Snacks All The Weigh Down

---

Began 2010 @ 325lbs - Never even ran to dinner EVER before!

Started C25K Sept/2010 (239 lbs) - Graduated Nov/2010 (216 lbs)

First Official 5K - Frosty 5K 12/11/2010 - 25:57.8 (211 lbs)

Living for Zachary Heart Run 5K - 10/22/2011 - 22:34 (202 lbs) PR

Salute American Heroes 10K - 11/12/2011 - 47:48 (202 lbs) PR

Dallas White Rock Half Marathon - 12/4/2011 - 1:57:39 (202 lbs)

Leaping Leprechauns 15K - 3/10/2012 - 1:15:35 (210 lbs) PR

Big D Half Martahon - 4/15/2012 - 1:57:51 (215 lbs - felt it) PR

Cooper Summer Sprint Triathalon - 7/21/2012 - 25:18 on the 5K run piece (209 lbs)

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008

Lots of great advice, the best I think so far is to STOP with the 1200 cal diet!!  I believe that your actually causing your body to fight you and will slow your metabolism not increase it if you continue doing it this way.  Just doesn't sound like a healthy way to "get healthy"!  I would recommend reading up more on proper calorie intake for your current weight and goal weight and also how you can stimulate your metabolism to help you not hurt you.  I lost 70lbs in my first year doing some running as well as twice daily crunches and push ups.  I started with 25 crunches and 10 push ups twice a day. (took 5 min) and then slowly throughout the first year increased the numbers to 150 crunches and 50 push ups 2x daily.  Not sure this is true but I believe that doing this twice a day, eating more healthy foods and starting up with my running slowly actually got my metabolism working in my favor without having to cut out a bunch of calories.  Good luck and try to be patient.  A previous poster said it perfect. Good health is a long term commitment not short.

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Dog-lover wrote:

Lots of great advice, the best I think so far is to STOP with the 1200 cal diet!!  I believe that your actually causing your body to fight you and will slow your metabolism not increase it if you continue doing it this way.

There's this hormone called Leptin that is rumored to be one of the things that puts our bodies into starvation mode -- when there are high Leptin levels, the body burns fat more efficiently but, when Leptin levels are low, the body goes into storage mode. Eating low calorie diets keeps Leptin levels low and can make weight loss more long term than it could be. Enter the almighty cheat meal. Having one meal a week where you eat a ton is supposed to raise Letpin levels, allowing the fat to come off more quickly. Not sure how many Biggest Loser fans there are here (my wife's addicted) but, last year, a guy named Sam won an eating challange and put away more than 4000 cals in a day -- not a smart move if the goal of the game is to shed poundage, right? Guess who lost the most weight that week? Yep, Sam.

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008

Big fan of Biggest Loser simply because they always encourage healthy eating and healthy exercise. Most of us can't compare to the people on the show because we don't have personal trainers and we can't spend our whole day doing nothing but focusing on health,  but the long term benefits the show talks about and a willingness to be patient, eat properly and exercise is proven to ensure better health and a safe healthy way to achieve long term weight loss. There is lots of good info out there on proper nutrition and exercise and I believe "Loser" is one of them.  Sorry, I'm kind of a "Loser" groupie..... I don't really need to lose weight anymore but the show constantly inspires me to stay focused for the long haul!  Takes a lot of courage and determination to get healthy no matter who you are.  I admire the people who are willing to put themselves out there for the whole world to see.

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

• Maudie Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007

Last year I lost 45 lbs by eating less, and gradually adding exercise (I had been 100% couch potato before that).  I cut down to 1200 cal/day, but I'm a 5'3" woman, so that made a lot more sense for me than it would for you.  But as people here have mentioned, I noticed very quickly that if I went any lower than that, even down to 1100 cal/day, my weight loss would slow down considerably.  1200 was my sweet spot, any less than that and my body was not happy.  And as I started exercising more, I ended up needing to add more calories.  Also, interesting to read about the Leptin theory. I definitely noticed, more than once, that after I'd been at a plateau for a while a big cheat day would be followed by a downward jump on the scale.  I wouldn't recommend that as a weight-loss tactic, but I'm intrigued by the idea that there's some real science behind my observation.

I'd also recommend weighing yourself less often.  Rule of thumb:  weigh yourself less often while losing weight, more often when trying to maintain.  I weighed myself about every 10 days, which cut down on the chance of my getting hung up on a few days worth of a plateau.  Now that I'm in maintenance mode (8 months later, no re-gain!), I weigh myself more often, but I still track my "official" weight every 10 days.  So when I weigh my self in-between, if I'm up a bit, I know I need to be more careful before that 10th days rolls around.

And don't discount the importance of getting enough sleep.  Sleep is as important for weight loss and overall good health as water.

• This IS my race pace Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007

Hey, sdot, by the way, have people started saying things like, "You know, for a guy your size/man of your stature" yet?  They will, so get ready for it.  In the running world if you're 200+ lbs. you're considered  very large. I believe I heard in triathalons they have the Clydesdale catagory for men over 200 lbs. and the Super Clydes for 220+.  We are not "normal" size men, you and I.  I range between 200-205.  I had a VO2 max. test done about a year ago and based on my age, I placed at about the 45th %tile.  However, when the lady doing the test recalculated for my specific "demographics" (for a guy your size, she said), I was in the 10th %tile.  I said, then for a "normal" man I'd still be hurting health-wise, but for someone my size I'm looking pretty good.  Yup.

When people find out you run, many will take a step back and look at you from head to toe and say, "YOU run?".  And you look them in the eye and say, yes I do.  I tell people the big boy doesn't run fast, but he runs far and then I refer them to the marathon and 1/2 marathon websites to check my results.  This has nothing to do w/ what will be a constant struggle to run and lose weight, but I just wanted to give you a head's up of what to expect having gone down that road once before.  In the end it's all white noise, my friend.  Background static.

Treat the eating like a job and approach it logically because weight loss is indeed a hard science.  Keep up w/ your exercise and just keep the faith and fight through the plateaus as they come because trust me, they will come.  And if you hang tough and keep with your plan of attack they will eventually go away.  Good luck to you, brother.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points