Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1733 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2010 9:29 AM by Jay206 RSS
john51277 Rookie 4 posts since
Dec 3, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 3, 2010 5:07 PM

New guy, beginning runner.  Few questions??

My name is John, from Florida.  I'm a 33 year old guy who is at 250, down from 265 a month ago and has just started running over the last 3 weeks.  Was doing about 2-3 miles every other day walking and jogging.  Everything was great till I ran the other night.  I woke up and my left knee was kinda sore.  I wrapped it and iced it that night and it was fine.  I took another day off and then ran again, for a short distance of 1.8 miles.  About 2-3AM that next morning my other knee started killing me.  Which brings me to this day.  Knee is hurting, ibuprofin kills the pain, and I am wrapping it and icing it, but this is kinda frustrating.  I want to get out there and run,  but I don't want to further damage my knee, and it hurts too much to run.  I think the pain will subside, but Its hard to gain more distance over time with injuries like this.  I am using Run Keeper to track my progress for the first month, then I will start the C25K program, as I have signed up for the FL January 29th Warrior Dash.  I used to be in great shape 9 years ago and want to get back there utilizing running as my cardio.  I have some Saucony shoes that seem to support me well, and have not been pushing myself too much (in my opinion), but would like to progress a little faster without these roadblocks.

Any suggestions as far as the knee pain, or do you think I am pushing too far too fast?

This is a great forum as far as I can see from reading some threads over the last 2 weeks.

Thanks!

• bianchilvr Expert 93 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    1. Dec 3, 2010 5:37 PM (in response to john51277)
    Re: New guy, beginning runner. Few questions??

Where is your knee hurting?  Front, back, outside, inside.

2011 Goals

• Lose 40 lbs (doable)
    • Run 1000 mi (doable)
    • Sub 25' 5K (very lofty goal)

PR's

• 5K, 26:28 (9/30/06)
    • 8K, 47:56 (3/30/02)
    • 10K, 1:01:44 (10/25/03)
    • Half, 2:18:54 (12/8/02)
  • racebug313 Amateur 25 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    3. Dec 3, 2010 6:34 PM (in response to john51277)

first off- I am also in Fl (Tampa) and have been toying with the warrior dash...  it just looks too insane and fun to pass up!

second- I also suffer from knee pain.  I don't know where yours is, but if it feels behind and almost under the knee and you feel a pressure there and on the sides when you run, it will be similar to mine.  I have been in therapy for it, since I want to run more and was concerned about injuring myself to the point of sitting out.  a lot of what I do in therapy is to strengthen the muscles supporting the knees- while I have been active, I just picked up running a couple months ago.  I do a lot for my quads, and hamstrings.  another thing is alignment and form.  lastly, good stretching...  I am a big supporter of a foam roller to help with this.  aside from the slight cmp, I also have a tight IT band which pulls the knee.  using the foam roller really helps.  my therapist even suggested using a rolling pin since it's not as awkward to position and use as the roller, and he was right!  I even used it in the car on the way to my last race...  (I was not driving!)

hope some of these tips help.  I know it's soooooooooooo frustrating to be injured and the thought of sitting out just stinks.  especially after starting off so well and getting into running.

good luck!

You have a choice- you can throw in the towel, or use it to wipe the sweat off your face

Crossed the line...

Komen Race for the Cure 10K: 1:08

Spartan Challenge 5K + obstacles: 33:05

Creaky Bones 5K: 30:59

St Pete Turkey Trot 10K- 1:07

Gasparilla Half Marathon (1st!)- 2:42

Coming up:

Oct-       Chicago Marathon

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    4. Dec 3, 2010 6:42 PM (in response to john51277)

From your brief description, these sound like a couple of classic running overuse injuries: Chondromalacia patella (runner's knee) for the left knee, and pes anserine bursitis for the right knee. See these articles, for example, for more info on symptoms, causes and treatment:

Chondromalacia:  http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000452.htm

Pes anserine bursitis: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00335

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• Kristy Burleyson Pro 62 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    6. Dec 3, 2010 8:21 PM (in response to john51277)

Hit them hard with NSAIDS around the clock and give them enough rest to get better.  I had knee problems, same as in your right and didn't rest it enough.  Ended up unable to run for two weeks.  I finally have no pain and now am struggling to find my motivation.  It got lost somewhere in the process.

• Jay206 Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 10, 2010
    7. Dec 4, 2010 9:29 AM (in response to john51277)

Running in the wrong type of shoes can most definitely contribute to knee pain.  I recommend going to a running specialty store -- ask an employee to get fitted for a proper pair of shoes.  They will be expensive, but it'll be worth it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...