Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

422 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2006 8:39 PM by sparks77 RSS
xfactor020 Rookie 3 posts since
Jan 17, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 20, 2007 11:54 PM

My first 55m race and a question.

I have never run competitively before as it conflicts with soccer in VA. My soccer coach convinced me to run indoor track though and I ran my first girls 55m race this past Friday. I was hand timed at 7.26s. Which I was pretty happy with as it qualifies me for regionals after they add in the 0.24s fudge factor for hand timed results (total time 7.5s). My question is this: Can someone tell me how much (approximately!!) improvement I might get if:
1. I run with spikes rather than the plain Nike tennis shoes I used.
2. If I use starting blocks rather than an upright start.
3. If I were to actually train for spinting - I haven't worked out since the end of fall soccer (mid Nov) and never for sprinting specifically.
Thanks for any info you can give. I am trying to decide if I should ask my dad to buy spikes.

E.

[http://This message has been edited by xfactor (edited Jan-17-2006).|http://This message has been edited by xfactor (edited Jan-17-2006).]

• Richard21142 Legend 769 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jan 17, 2006 7:37 PM (in response to xfactor020)
    Re: My first 55m race and a question.

quote:

Originally posted by xfactor:

Can someone tell me how much (approximately!!) improvement I might get if:
    3. If I were to actually train for spinting - I haven't worked out since the end of fall soccer (mid Nov) and never for sprinting specifically.

Considering that you ran in tennis shoes and didn't use blocks, your time is quite good. It is hard to tell how much faster you could run with spikes, but 0.2 could be reasonable.
    Blocks could cut another 0.2. (Typically when runners do a standing start, they move the front leg first. Not a disaster in the mile, but not good for a short sprint).

If you are going to train for sprints, don't run "flat out".  Spend some time learning how to sprint totally relaxed.  Also do "block starts with a gun" so that you can get used to reacting to the sound of the gun (some runners react to the quiet after the sound of the gun).

• quevin Rookie 31 posts since
    Dec 6, 2004
    2. Jan 17, 2006 7:45 PM (in response to xfactor020)

E.,

My daughter is almost 16, is a competitive soccer player and runs indoor track during the off season. She was in exaclty your position over the last few weeks. She runs the 55, 200 (as part of the relay teams) and, on occasion, the 600.

I bought her track flats last week and she wore them for the first time in a race yesterday in our county frosh/soph county meet. She took .14 off her best time, although she has been suffering from shin splints recently and feels she might have done a little better. In the same meet she improved her 300 time by almost two seconds (to 44.2). Up until this meet she's been competing in road shoes.

Get the flats (they'll cost around $50) but I think they're well worth the investment. expecially if you've pretty much stopped growing. If you can, go to a running store, not one of the generic ahlthletic shoe places.

Good luck!

• alexanderthegr8042 Legend 1,228 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Dec 20, 2007 11:54 PM (in response to xfactor020)

quote:

Originally posted by xfactor:

I have never run competitively before as it conflicts with soccer in VA. My soccer coach convinced me to run indoor track though and I ran my first girls 55m race this past Friday. I was hand timed at 7.26s. Which I was pretty happy with as it qualifies me for regionals after they add in the 0.24s fudge factor for hand timed results (total time 7.5s). My question is this: Can someone tell me how much (approximately!!) improvement I might get if:
    Thanks for any info you can give. I am trying to decide if I should ask my dad to buy spikes.

E.

[http://This message has been edited by xfactor (edited Jan-17-2006).|http://This message has been edited by xfactor (edited Jan-17-2006).]

WHAAAATTT!?!?!?
    A 7.5 is pretty dang good for a kid who ran without proper racing shoes, doesn't know how to use blocks, and doesn't train for the sport.
    I say drop the soccer and join a track team. Learning to come out of the blocks takes lots of time and paitence and will knock of a fair amount of time in the 60 (indoors is much more about technical running than outdoors). I think after some good training you could be capable of going sub-7 in the 60 which puts you in the ranks of a pretty competitive high school runner (assuming you're still in high school)
    Keep at it.

----

Alex[/URL" target="_blank">

• sparks77 Pro 195 posts since
    Sep 12, 2002
    4. Jan 18, 2006 8:39 PM (in response to xfactor020)

One of the kids on my old track team this year did basically the same thing.  He ran a 7.24 in tennis shoes, computer timing.  He got spikes for his second race and ran it in 7.05.  And I believe in his last race he got 6.95. So I'm pretty sure you'll see quite an improvement in your time if you get spikes.  Also the blocks will be a big help too, you can get an explosive start from the blocks which is an advantage against standing starts.

----

SXC the greatest group of guys ever. I wish you all the best of luck in the future. I wouldn't be who I am today without you guys, keep those legs moving, and let your feet carry you to wherever they may.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine <br />"Good teams become great ones, when the members trust each other enough to surrender the me for we."<br /> Phil Jackson

Sparks77[/URL" target="_blank">

""Do you ever miss it much?" Denton paused as he was sliding out of the booth and looked at Cassidy.

"Quenton, you'll come to understand this eventually.  I had my time, I really did.  It was wonderful, no doubt about it.  Stood up there blubbering like a schoolboy with my hand on my chest...."

"Bruce..."

"...and that was then.  Now I have a wonderful life.  Family, career, good health..."

"Bruce...."

Denton Laughed.

"More than I can tell you," he said, picking up the check and handing it to Cassidy."

~Again to Carthage

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...