Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2761 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2010 9:44 AM by Lola67 RSS
fitbefore40 Rookie 6 posts since
Dec 5, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 5, 2010 2:14 AM

Newbie 12/6/10

Hello, all! Going to start C25K on Monday 12/6/10! Married, mother of three teens, work part-time (nights), part-time student, wanting to get fit once and for all! Will turn 39 in February, want to start feeling better, have more energy, lose 50lbs..........goal to become a runner, and get in shape before turning the big 4-0! Anyone else just starting C25K? I'd love any comments/suggestions/tips, etc!

• Kristy Burleyson Pro 62 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    1. Dec 5, 2010 6:10 AM (in response to fitbefore40)
    Re: Newbie 12/6/10

Hi

I'm 54 and started C25K in October but got an overuse injury by pushing myself too hard.  Best advise I can give is the same I got and didn't listen to.....take it slow, and if you get an overuse injury let it heal before pushing again.  I have never been a runner, in fact would see people running and make the comment "why would they want to do that because it really doesn't look like they are having fun".  Well, all of a sudden I had a desire to be a runner.  Don't have any idea where that came from.  I'm 20 lbs overweight, have a sedentary job for the first time in my life and really feel like I am at a fork in the road - either I do something or I'm going to be round and unable to do the things physically that I want to do.   Soooooo....I got a good pair of running shoes and started.  I was amazed at how the stress of the day fell away while I was running (well, walking/running).  I got hooked, then got bursitis in my knee.  I rested for 5 days without much else, then started again too soon. Ended up at the MD and on meds with an extended 'rest'.  Now I've been walking the past several weeks but I'm ready to start again with the C25K.  I am going to begin tomorrow, Dec 6, so we could sure pair up and support each other!  Are you planning on running in the AM or PM?  I'm a PM person, and have joined the Y so I can continue in cold bad weather.  I'll check in tomorrow to see have it went for you!

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    2. Dec 5, 2010 5:57 AM (in response to fitbefore40)

Congrats on getting started.  I'm in week 7 for the 2nd time.  Last time I injured myself doing week 7 day 3.  I was having a bad run and didn't want to finish on a negative note, so after part of the cool down period, I ran as fast as I could for 1/4 mile.  Pushing it, I think caused me to have really bad shin splints and made me take off for 2 weeks.  I started back up on week 6 and won't be pushing it like that again.

You will see it all over the forum, the best thing you can do is slow down.  It is amazing what it can do for you.  Also, set small goals.  If you are part way through your run and think you can't continue, look ahead and pick a tree, bench, whatever and tell yourself you will run to that.  On the way, think about how you feel and judge if you truely need to walk.  If not, pick another target.

I was like Kristy Burleyson, I would see people running and I'd make a snide comment like "Run Fool" and comment about how Jim Fixx did all that running and still dies at 52 of a heart attack.  I hit 42 and weighed more than I've ever weighed in my life.  I decided to get in shape and lose some weight.  It surprised me that I'm enjoying how I feel after my run and sometimes during the run itself.  I also feel better about myself because I started running.

Have fun with it and if you feel you need to repeat a week, then repeat that week.  You are trying to improve your life.  If you make running a chore, you won't keep doing it.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Dec 5, 2010 5:20 PM (in response to fitbefore40)

Hi, I just wanted to say Good Luck and have fun!

• nyla100 Expert 59 posts since
    Jul 23, 2009
    6. Dec 5, 2010 8:45 PM (in response to fitbefore40)

Hi Heidi!  I'm also starting tomorrow...my third attempt...eek!  The first time I pushed myself too hard (a tendency I have) and burned out, this last time (just back in Nov), I let killer hours at work get in the way.  However, I'm not letting that discourage me.  I'm trying to stay committed this time and not overdo.  I need to remember that rest days are very important, as they allow your muscles to heal, and that just because I CAN make up a missed day by doing back-to-back runs doesn't mean I should lol.

Really glad to have found someone else starting tomorrow.  Let's keep each other motivated and on track!

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

Steve Prefontaine

• Kristy Burleyson Pro 62 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    9. Dec 6, 2010 2:34 AM (in response to fitbefore40)

I'm actually going ot have to start tomorrow - I work today from 0630-2000 - that's a 13 hr day.  I also got up this morning with a sore throat and congestion.  If I get home tonight and feel like I can go, I might but......if not I'm starting tomorrow at 1800!

Good luck and happy running

Kristy

• New_Running_Mom Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 23, 2010
    10. Dec 6, 2010 2:35 AM (in response to fitbefore40)

I, too, am going to be starting C25K on 12/6/2010 (today).  I'm not starting from scratch though, I'll probably start with week 5 since I already know I can run for 5 minutes, but I'll probably also stay at W5D1 for a few weeks to avoid moving on too soon.  This will be my second time starting seeing as how the first time I started I got to week 5, and then got pregnant with my second daughter.  I've been running with my husband for about 3 weeks now, and have built up to 5 minutes, but he doesn't like running in the cold so I'll be going it alone for the winter.  I'll be a PM runner and be running at the indoor track at my college.  I have already signed up for a Triathalon Sprint (Swim 500M, Bike 20K, Run 5K) at the end of May so I'll be cross training on my rest days with biking and swimming.  Will be running Spectrum Health's 27th Annual Irish Jig on March 20th as my very first event though.  Have some significant weight to get rid of after having the baby, so I'm setting as many realistic goals as possible for myself to give me the motivation to get through the program.  Good luck today everyone!! 

• Sonnenwald Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 23, 2010
    11. Dec 6, 2010 6:19 AM (in response to fitbefore40)

Yes, I am a very new newbie working on c25K myself. I am married and mother of two beautiful daughters that are in their early twenties. Being over weight has always been a issue for me to concur. Every season, I watch faithfully the "Biggest Loser Show" as I eat my ice cream or chips saying I could do that, but never do. Let's face it if those trainer can get people 250+ to run I thought I surely can too. I am not sure what triggered it in my head but I began watching what I was eating (making healthier choices) and joined a gym. I gave up drinking soda, Starbucks white chocolate mocha and not using salt and I found out quickly that I do not miss it at all. So now my journey has begun to get off the couch, start walking and begin running for a healthier new me. A quote that has inspired me:

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."

John Bingham, running speaker and writer

• readymomof1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 6, 2010
    12. Dec 6, 2010 9:07 AM (in response to fitbefore40)

Hey there. I'm also starting today, 12/6. I'll be 39 in July and am soooo tired of my yo yo dieting. Heard about this from a friend and decided to try it, or rather DO it. I have 20-25lbs to lose, but being fit is really what I'm after. I'm tired of this mush in my middle. Good luck to both of you today, or if there's other's, and let's keep in touch for sure!

We can do this.... Monica

• Lola67 Pro 69 posts since
    Oct 24, 2010
    13. Dec 6, 2010 9:44 AM (in response to fitbefore40)

Good luck everybody!

I started running to get out of a rut and make myself accomplish something I hated to do, well I have found that I actually LOVE to run now! Without following the CT5K plan I most likely would have quite.

Keep up the good work!

Started CT5K 10.18.2010

Graduated 12.27.2010

1st 5K 01.29.2011 PR 00.33.40

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points