Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

58953 Views 249 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2012 8:23 AM by PaintingLady RSS Go to original post 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 Previous Next
  • az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    105. Dec 6, 2010 9:13 AM (in response to coolbikermom)
    Re: 50 and over, 5k and beyond - Race Reports

Everyone is chiming in about running in winter temps/conditions so I thought I share:

Even with snow on the mountain peaks, we have had ideal temps for running and riding.  Photos attached.

I have been riding my HARLEY bike about 3x/week, yippee!! .......... need my 'fix' as well as building up my endurance in my trail runs.

I am 'training' in the 20s - 50s temps here in N. AZ, on the trail  courses amidst the snow/mud as lately, in the past week, we have had  'warm' temps of 50s ......... unusual for this time of year in this area  but we are taking advantage of it as much as we can. The snow-packed  areas of the trail in the mountains are actually better to run on, just  more cautious of the downhill portions of it.  But no complaints.

My running gear consist of tech material, layering with long sleeves and wearing long thermal pants specifically for running outdoors.  Running trails can be quite 'muddy' so I usually end up with mud/wet/debris from foot to calf areas.  I wear a polytech ear cover and a cap to keep my ears protected from the biting wind/cold dry air.  I have gotten used to wearing a belt with a small pocket and energy drinks; I do drink water prior to my runs/races but then no water till I am finished though, just energy drinks (powerade/G-series Gatorade)  ........... this really has been working for me but I have been doing it for the last 3-4 months.  I stretch by doing 'marching drills' and a couple of muscle stretches but mostly I run slowly for about a mile to loosen up, walk one minute, stretch again, then up my running distance to 3-4 miles, walk one minute, etc. till I am done. There are times when I have run for about 6 miles without taking walk breaks but those are 'easy' runs on flatter (my definition) courses.  The walk breaks have really been a life saver for me; less recovery time dealing with fatigue, stress and aches around my joints especially the ankles and Achilles tendons which I have been nursing all summer but they are getting stronger.

I wanted to run last TUES but I had a summons for jury duty which ended up taking all day till around 4:30 .......I was finally 'excused' (yay!) but no time to run outdoors due to the dropping temps as soon as the sun sets .........Honestly, I didn't feel like working out in a gym.............  so did Happy Hour instead, haha!!  But I was determined to run the rest of the week.

So WED: I ran about 10 miles/1 mile elliptical, 1 mile cycle, 30 min weight lifting; THURS:   about 4 miles plus 2 miles of intervals/cycle 2 miles/45 mins of weight  lifting, rested on FRI, and then finished off the week by running 14  miles on Saturday, 10 hill repeats and 30 min of weight lifting. 

I've noticed my hill repeats have improved ....... yay!!

I  plan on hitting the trail again today and tomorrow and then REST for the  remainder of the week for my 25K on Saturday, east of Phoenix!  I feel soooo ready and  excited as it has been awhile since I've done a trail race.  I will be driving down to PHX on Fri and running Sat morning and driving back .......... to take part in the annual "Parade of Lights" event ......... our car club and harley group each are in the parade.  Love the holidays!!!

Great to hear reports of staying motivated by registering for future races .......... I think that is the best way to keep hitting the pavement, or in my case, my beloved trails!!  KEEP IT UP everyone!!  Each of you inspire me!!

Attachments:

Trail runner

• torunagn Legend 325 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010
    106. Dec 6, 2010 12:02 PM (in response to az2mn)

Di2079 - it makes me tired just reading your training schedule.  Nice mix of running and cross training that you are doing.  I see such big benefits when I am consistent about my strength training, but it is not my favorite thing to do, so I tend to let it slide.  Nice photos - what beautiful surroundings - have to ask when I see the snow and read how much you love the trails - do you also ski or XC ski?  I tried XC skiing for the very fist time ever this past weekend - obviously I have very much to learn, but it was such fun!

C25K Completed 05/05/10

2011 Races: 5K - 1/16/11 - 33:40; 5K - 1/30/11 - 32:02; 2/12/11 - 5 Mile - 58:07; 2/27/11 - 5K - 32:54; 3/19/11 - 5K - 32:29

2010 Races: 5K - 12/31/10 - 32:53; 5K - 11/28/10 - 32:19; 5K - 8/14/10 - 32:57; 4 Mile - 7/4/10 - 44:58; 5K - 6/23/10 - 33:28; 5K - 6/5/10 - 33:12

• PJ Freeman Pro 115 posts since
    Feb 17, 2009
    107. Dec 6, 2010 8:34 PM (in response to coolbikermom)

We arrived in Vegas on Friday so we wouldn't be traveling the day before the race and hit the expo to beat the Saturday crowd.  We stayed at the Mandalay Bay which was where the race started so we wouldn't have to add additional time to our early race morning.  We scoped out where we would get breakfast on Saturday, but apparently everyone else had the same idea and the lines for breakfast were really long, even at the hotel Starbucks and we were afraid we wouldn't make it so we went back to our room and made instant oatmeal with hot water from the sink (no coffee maker in the room).  Not the most delicious, but it worked.

I didn't sleep very well because I was nervous about this race after my experience with Silver Strand.  The race started at 7:00am so we got out to the start at 6:45.  There were 35,000 runners, apparently a Rock & Roll record.  We were divided into corrals by our projected race times.  I was in corral 30 out of 33 (I guessed I would finish within 3.5 hours).  Even though we were so far back from the start, the race was televised on the Mandalay Bay screen so we got to see each corral start.  It was 7:25 before our corral even started to move forward.  Because of the overcast sky the day before, the temp was at a scorching 43 degrees.  I had layered well so it wasn't too bad, but I was shivering after standing in one place for so long waiting for our corral to take off.  Our corral finally took off at about 7:45.

The first 3 miles were great.  The really sore spot in my right calf loosened up and was not bothering me at all.  I was picking people in front of me to aim at passing which was kind of fun and a good distraction.  At 3.9 miles I saw my husband over on the sidewalk waiting for me to run past because his injured leg started really hurting so he had to drop out.  I was very sad for him.  He limped back to the start/finish to wait for me.  It was also about this time that my left hip started hurting.  Of all the things that I thought might keep me from running the whole thing, this was the one that concerned me the most.  The next 3 miles it got worse and twice, when dodging some walkers around a corner, it tweaked and agrivated it more.

I reached the halfway point and told myself that it was now all just icing on the cake each mile I finished running.  Now my hip was was causing my knee to hurt (the IT band thing) and that's what started getting to me.  I really wanted to run the whole thing, but it was getting more difficult.  I made the decision at mile 8 that I would go one more mile and then take some walking breaks.  I ran all the way to the 15K point (they were timing 5, 10 & 15K splits) and then walked for about 1/4 mile and then ran to the 10 mile marker.  Now my feet were hurting too (I think we might have walked too much on Satureday even though we were trying to watch it).  At this point I was mostly focused inward.  I was no longer looking for people to pass up.  I was just mentally pushing myself to finish.

Mile 10, I walked 1/4 and ran 3/4. Mile 11, I walked 1/2 and ran 1/2.  Mile 12 my right knee started hurting.  This was something that has never happened before.  I wasn't sure I would be able to finish because it was getting worse.  I kind of kicked my calf back and up as far as it would go a few times and the pain went away.  It must have just been a muscle cramp.  The IT band thing was really bothering me so I walked until I got about 1/4 from the finish and then started running to the end.  At almost the end I saw a fast walker just in front of me and decided to try to pass her.  I finshed probably 2 steps ahead of her.  It felt so good to finish!  My time was 2:58:35.  I wanted to finish in under 3 hours and I dit it.  I feel so proud of myself.

After Silver Strand, I felt really nauseated for most of the rest of the day.  I learned something from reading the pre-race material that helped me avoid it this time.  It said that when you run for long distances, your blood diverts to your legs and away from your stomach.  You need to keep moving for 20 minutes afterwards to give your body time to send blood back to your stomach.  After Silver Strand, because it was such an aweful race for me, I immediately ate the post race food they passed out and got right on a bus and headed back to the car.  This time I took the food and carried it with me while I walked around for 20 minutes and then ate it.  No nausea this time!

Yesterday, my legs were pretty achy and I had a lot of sciatic pain, but that's all gone after a good nights sleep.  Today the sore spot in my right calf is sorer than it was, but all the other calf stuff is gone.  The IT spot on my left knee is bothering me a little bit, but it's not bad. As the day wore on my thighs got more and more sore, but that is typical for me after running a long distance.

Overall, it was a very fun event.  I am pretty sure I will do another HM in the future, but for now I'm going to give my legs a little break and then work on building the muscles in my legs so they don't tire out so quickly.

2010 Coronado Independence Day 5K - 40:12

2010 AFC 5K - August 15 - 37:32

2010 End of Summer Fire Run 4mi- August 29 - 49:55

2010 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Relay - October 2 - 57:12

2010 Shelter Island 5K - November 7 - 36:20 PR

2010 Silver Strand Half Marathon - November 14 - 3:14:05

2010 Las Vegas Rock & Roll Half Marathon - December 5 - 2:58:35

2010 Jingle Bell 5K for Arthritis - December 11 - 37:28

2011 Los Angeles Chinatown Firecracker 10K - February 13 - 1:25:46

2011 Lost Dutchman 10K - February 20 - 1:19:11

2011 Saint Patrick's Day 10K - March 12 - 1:13:48 PR

2011 Carlsbad 5000 - April 3 - 34:30 PR

2011 Rock & Roll San Diego HM - June 5 - 2:51:54 PR

2011 Coronado Independence Day 5K - July 4 - 35:34

2011 America's Finest City 5 K- August 21 - 34:40

UPCOMING

2011 Rock & Roll Los Angeles - October 30

2012 Disneyland Tinkerbell Half - January 29

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    109. Dec 7, 2010 6:01 AM (in response to PJ Freeman)

PJ, a huge congratulations on completing your 2nd HM!! You are the poster child for perseverence and determination! You rock!!  So sorry that your hubby had to pull out, as I know he is too.

Di, tks for sharing the photos, absolutely beautiful! Like torun, I'm tired just reading your workout schedule. Tks a bunch for sharing it.

We've got a beautiful snow here in east Tn this morning. 1-2 inches and all of the schools are closed. They do that. Maybe I'll give the grands the new slick sleigh I got them for Christmas.

Happy Running,

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• susanbarron Legend 390 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    110. Dec 7, 2010 6:14 AM (in response to PaintingLady)

PJ- congratulations on another half, I am really happy for you! Sorry about your husband that must be so hard after all the training. Rest up and take care of yourself! Give yourself a HUGE pat on the back!

October 2009- Started Couch to 5k

November 2009- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k (W5D3 C25k)

December 28,2009- finished Couch to 5k

January 2010- Run for you Health 5k

April 2010- Zoo Zoom 10k

June 2010- San Diego Rock n Roll half Marathon

November 2010- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k

April 2011- 4 mile Legal Aide Society Run

upcoming: September 17th 5k Run to Break the Silence

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    111. Dec 7, 2010 7:42 AM (in response to PJ Freeman)

PJ:  Congratulations on finishing your second HM and thank you for a great report.  As the others have said, I'm sorry your husband had to drop out.  As you said, time to rest and then do some cross-training for your legs.  With a starting temp of 43, you had decent weather too.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• hike2run Expert 40 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010
    112. Dec 7, 2010 9:19 AM (in response to coolbikermom)

PJ Great race report. Sorry to hear about your husband. I don't think I could have mentally pushed myself to run that last part to the finish. You are awesome! I can't even wrap my head around 35,000 runners. I will have to look online for some pics!

Di thanks for the pictures. If we are going to have all this cold and WIND; I wish we had some beautiful snow to go with it! Snowshoes are ready. We used to x-country ski but found we could go more places with the snowshoes

Hike2Run

11/27/10 First 5k Habitat for Humanity 36:47

Jan 20, 2010
    113. Dec 7, 2010 9:42 AM (in response to torunagn)

torunagn,

Hi there!

Yes, absolutely, one can benefit from incorporating other forms of exercises for overall improvement in performance. Consistency is key.  I find that, for me, running outdoors provides just the right combination of exhilaration, clarity, solitude, and 'calmness' my spontaneous spirit craves.  That is why I love trail running and all that it entails.  It challenges me, physically and mentally, and I love the mental high afterwards as I still stand in amazement that I ran all 'those miles'!  I don't think that will ever cease; it is what keeps me going back for more, to 're-live' the experience to satisfy my soul's hunger for it.

I do XC skiing when possible, and trying to get back into snowboarding which I have neglected the last couple of years.  Living in Denver for a few years and snowboarding in the awesome mountain snow locations, snow is not the 'same' everywhere else.  The snow here is not the greatest to ski or snowboard in after the first day.  I use to ski (in the 70s, that long ago? LOL!) but I gave it up after fighting to try to enjoy it.  Just didn't care for it overall.  Life is too short to try to enjoy a sport which should come naturally so one stays committed to it while trying to 'perfect' it ........... at least that's my philosophy, for what it is worth, haha!

Thanks for the comment on my photos.  I love photography (another 'hobby' I have neglected); I love N. AZ.  It is especially breathtaking in the winter!  We are blessed in that we get to enjoy all the four seasons here.

Trail runner

Jan 20, 2010
    114. Dec 7, 2010 9:56 AM (in response to hike2run)

hike2run,

I can totally relate to your comment about "snow and WIND" .......... we (neighborhood) seem to live in a wind tunnel so when it is windy, it is 'WINDY' for DAYS .......... with gusts up to 40-55 mph at times!  But when it calms down, it is beautiful.  So it is usually ALL OR NONE when it comes to windy conditions here.  I have to admit, we do have a fantastic view of the mountain peaks from our front door so when it snows, it is absolutely incredible!   My inner child wants to relish in it which is probably why I love trail running .......... I want to experience the 'moment' in all its glory........... and we also go snowshoeing when possible.  Great workout, in the mountains.   I love it!

Trail runner

Jan 20, 2010
    115. Dec 7, 2010 10:02 AM (in response to PJ Freeman)

PJFreeman,

WOW!!! WTG!!! You did so awesome in finishing the race, under your estimated time and in an injured state!!  CONGRATS!!  I am soooo happy for you!  And, that you are planning on doing another HM despite two different experiences!  Love your attitude on that!  Your next races will be pieces of cake in comparison. 

Such a bummer on your hubby dropping out ........ but glad that he did not injure himself even more. 

REST up and start back slowly ........ you'll be right back in the running game sooner than you think. 

Again, CONGRATS!!

Trail runner

Jan 20, 2010
    116. Dec 7, 2010 10:07 AM (in response to coolbikermom)

HEY, just saw that I am "PRO" ............ didn't think I 'babble' THAT MUCH!!! LOL!!!  Guess it's true when it comes to topics we LOVE!

Thanks for the continued inspiration everyone!

Trail runner

• Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    117. Dec 7, 2010 12:03 PM (in response to PJ Freeman)

PJ - That was an excellent race report - I can almost feel your pain during those last miles. (Reminds me of both of my HM's).  But you did it!!! With no lasting aches or issues - and beat your goal time (that was my "dream" time).  So great job!!  So proud you did so well. What an experience with so many runners! Did you get a chance to enjoy the casino views as you ran by?

Marie - I was in your neck of the woods last week, near Gatlinburg.  No snow - but frost that looked like it (see picture) - and cold. Actually glad we missed the snow, because of all of the hills and turns on the road there.

Good luck to everyone on any racing plans in the next few weeks.  Any ladies interesting in a (women-only) IronGirl run or triathlon, they have posted the schedule to their website.  Registration will probably open 12/31 and sells out quickly.

Attachments:

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

• DiDi55 Pro 120 posts since
    Jun 10, 2010
    118. Dec 7, 2010 1:13 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

PJ  What a great race report!  I'll add; along with the others; that we feel for your spouse; what a bummer...:(  I so admire your persistance; you really hang in there; despite your issues; & conquer!

So MANY new folks to share their stories & add any advice....I'm always open to suggestions; advice; whatever to get over a slump; stay motivated; anything & everything!

I have been putting the TM to use; getting into it.  Just not the same as outside!  For thoes of you that are experiencing snow; ice; etc....I do not mind the cold; I can adjust to that.  I am terrified of slipping and/or falling.  Do you wear something on the bottom of your shoes that can keep you upright?!  I did see on QVC a product that you can slip on the bottom of your shoes; boots; etc. They demonstrated & it appeared to work.  I just don't know about running with them.

You are all making me proud to be 55!  Keep at it!  Anyone with upcoming races.....wishing you a good run & lots of fun!

Started Running August 2008

5 mile race/May 2010 59:00

5 mile race/July 2010 62:00

Half Marathon/September 2010 2:45

5 mile race/May 2011 63:00

Half Marathon 09/24/2011 2:53

5k 03/31/2012 43:00

5k 06/09/2012 41:39.5

If your tired of starting over; stop giving up!

• torunagn Legend 325 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010
    119. Dec 7, 2010 6:07 PM (in response to PJ Freeman)

Everyone - your posts are also so energizing, supportive and encouraging.  What a great group of folks you are.

PJ - Congratulations on your half-marathon.  You have set the bar for persevering very high.  I was sorry to read that things did not go so well for your husband.  I can't imagine what it would be like to run with so many others, but it sounds like the corral start is very efficient.  You mentioned being chilly waiting in the start line of the race.  I sometimes see runners wearing garbage bags with holes for their arms and head.  This helps to block the wind and provides some additional warmth (also good in a light rain).  A few minutes before the start of the race, they just toss them to the side of the course.  I have a friend who from time to time goes to the Goodwill store and buys inexpensive sweatshirts.  She wears them over her normal race gear either until the race start or for the first part of the race until she warms up.  Then she discards them on the sidelines.  Some races collect the discards (apparently it's a fairly common practice at large races) and donate them to homeless shelters, etc.  You can check with the race director regarding their preference on this practice.

Marie - Nothing like an early Christmas present.  Snow days are nice, too.

C25K Completed 05/05/10

2011 Races: 5K - 1/16/11 - 33:40; 5K - 1/30/11 - 32:02; 2/12/11 - 5 Mile - 58:07; 2/27/11 - 5K - 32:54; 3/19/11 - 5K - 32:29

2010 Races: 5K - 12/31/10 - 32:53; 5K - 11/28/10 - 32:19; 5K - 8/14/10 - 32:57; 4 Mile - 7/4/10 - 44:58; 5K - 6/23/10 - 33:28; 5K - 6/5/10 - 33:12

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...