Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2596 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2010 8:21 AM by ctyr
pdngpvmt71 Rookie 3 posts since
Dec 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 7, 2010 10:42 AM

Running in the Winter..How to keep from slipping?

This question kind of goes hand in handing with what clothes to run outside in, but as I live in Michigan, I would love to run outside on my gravel road, but I am scared to death about slipping (after an injury of doing just that on black ice in my driveway and suffered a head injury).  So, I know about yak traks, but Im afraid that they may cause injury with running on their uneven support.  Are there special running shoes that have ice grippers or I have heard of people putting nails in their soles but if they do how is this done?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008

Winter in the great north is tough!  I live in Minnesota so I can feel your pain!!  I live on a gravel road and do most of my running on gravel through out the whole year.  It gets really icy this time of year and stays that way until late Feb or March. I use Yak Trax and they work great for avoiding slipping and sliding and I don't find that they make me feel any less stable.  The only problem I have is that if I run more than 3-4 miles my feet get really sore. So what I've done this winter is limit my outside running to 2-3 miles x 2 per day and then either do the balance of my miles on our treadmill or I drive to a plowed black top area that isn't super icy.  Good luck and stay warm!

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

• MRosenstengel Amateur 17 posts since
    Nov 8, 2010

I am in Michigan, too!  (Ionia county) and I only run outside on our gravel road in regular shoes..  I try to run in the "crunch" which is usually on the edge of the road.  My inclination was to run in the middle of the road because it is quieter but it is also slippery there!  I am not sure what I will do once the big snow comes.

--

Meghan Rosenstengel

www.beaconbay.cc

(re)Started C25k 11/15/2010

Portland (MI) Winter Run 1/15/2011 First 5k! 45:32

• Carolyn Ecelbarger Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 21, 2007

Hi all,

I grew up in the Northern midwest and went to grad school in Wisconsin.  I now live in the D.C. area.   I've been running for about 20 years sometimes on ice (don't like it... probably not that smart); fairly frequently on packed snow (okay, although people sometimes think it's more dangerous than it really is).  If you must run when there are icy patches, try not to push off very hard with each stride.  Push up rather than back with your foot...it takes some practice.   It's actually easier to run on ice than to walk on it.  We used to run across the frozen lakes in Madison frequently.  Playing broomball (sort of like hockey without skates, sticks, or a puck instead you have a plastic broom, a ball, and regular tennis shoes/sneakers and played on ice) also teaches you to run on ice.

Have fun.  It's really not much fun to train all winter on a treadmill!

Carolyn

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,411 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

A lot of people put short sheet-metal screws in the sole of their shoes to provide grip.  Here are a couple of previous discussions.

http://community.active.com/message/701430#701430

http://community.active.com/message/691805#691805

Len

Len

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010

pdngpvmt71 - I live in northeast Ohio and ran this morning about 6:30am as it snowed.  It was beautiful.  I found it easiest to run at the edge of the road where the couple inches of snow hasn't been plowed or on the tree lawns.  Whether the sidewalks were plowed, shoveled or not, they seemed much slipperier.  This is the first time I have run in the snow but I have been waiting for it since the summer!

Melinda

• run50yrs Amateur 30 posts since
    Aug 11, 2009

I've always used 3/8 inch hex head screws: two in the heel and four in the forefoot.  Put them in the areas that have the most wear.  As another poster said, it's easier to run on ice than to walk.  Just don't make turns.

• LemonaidLucy Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 19, 2010

I live in Central Europe and we've got quite some snow here as well. When it's slippery, I run in trail shoes. I have Adidas Kanadia and Salomon XT wings. They both have a good grip.

I've read recommendations that you take a pair of your older trainers and simply put nails in the sole as you say but no idea how to do it:-)

Recently I've read that Asics does a special model that is called Arctic which I've read very good reviews on: http://www.asicsamerica.com/products/product.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=240006819&TITLE_CATEGORY_ID=250001545

Lucie

PB 5k (training): 25:32, PB 10K (training): 56:05, PB 20k: 1:55:13, PB half marathon: 2:01:32  

4/2/2011 Prague International Half Marathon 2:03:37

6/04/2011 Silva Nortica Trail Half Marathon 2:14:54

6/18/2011 Olomouc Half Marathon

8/14/2011 Zebrak 25K

Not faster, but farther. Not catch up, but hunt down.

• ctyr Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 3, 2008

I live in the northeast where ice is almost always present somewhere in the running route during the winter. I bought a pair of "studded" treads they slip over my running shoes. They are fantastic! I think I bought them from Road Runner Sports a long time back. There are some new entries I've seen at the local Agway which have a smaller stud of tungsten, more like a wire imbedded in rubber that have equally good traction.

The studded treads are similar to studded tires in the traction they provide. On an ice covered lake they can be made to slide but when running they provide more than sufficient traction to run, which if you have a lake nearby is a fun experieence. I don't like the hex-head screw type or wire coil types for hard ice.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points