Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

892 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2007 11:54 PM by CoachB008 RSS
ThePunisher065 Amateur 61 posts since
Jul 23, 2004
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 2, 2006 7:02 PM

NCAA questions

What's the best/most competitive track and field college in the nation?

What's the difference between divisions?
(I, II, III, IA, etc.)

I'm a sophomore in high school now, and I'm going to the Junior Olympic qualifier. I want to know this for future references.

• roblemke Rookie 12 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Feb 2, 2006 8:49 PM (in response to ThePunisher065)
    Re: NCAA questions

I don't follow the NCAA's that closely anymore but in the past certain schools were known for the events they excelled at. For example Villanova and Arkansas for distance runners, Texas schools for sprinters.  The California (UCLA,USC,Stanford)schools always did well.  Check out the current and previous years results of the NCAA Championships.

The main difference between the divisions is the scholarships they can offer. I went to a Division III school. No athletic scholarships there.

Good luck.

• Professor010 Legend 613 posts since
    Nov 6, 2002
    2. Dec 20, 2007 11:54 PM (in response to ThePunisher065)

"D2 is less competative academically and athletically."

This statement is totally false. A school's athletic division is based on enrollment, the size of its athleitc budget, and the strength of its football and basketball program.

I did my masters degree at a large division 1 state school. The academics there were not any better or any worse than the smaller D2 school where I did my BA.

It is true that the larger schools can afford to keep more well known professors on campus, however, those professors are usually busy trying to publish and don't teach too many classes. They often leave many of the lower division teaching duties to graduate students (I know this from personal experience. I and all my grad student friends had to teach undergrad classes). At smaller (read D2 and D3 schools) more of the professors acutally teach classes.

Student athletes should make their decisions on academic merrit, which has nothing to do with athletic division. Just bear in mind that there are good school choices in all the athletic divisions.

[http://This message has been edited by CoachB (edited Feb-04-2006).|http://This message has been edited by CoachB (edited Feb-04-2006).]

• JaiRunner Amateur 107 posts since
    Mar 8, 2005
    3. Feb 3, 2006 9:49 AM (in response to ThePunisher065)

My two cents. I'm from NE and more familiar with DIII teams,

If you're a distance guy,

TUFTS, WILLIAMS are the two big ones here
    KEENE, WESLEYAN, and TRINITY are also strong

On the womens' side its consistently

WILLIAMS and MIDDLEBURY

DI has BROWN, BU, HARVARD, YALE, with all solide teams

Nationally,

You shouldn't leave out LSU in the track arena. They have a sound coaching in all areas and one of the best jumps coaches I've ever met!

• sparks77 Pro 195 posts since
    Sep 12, 2002
    4. Feb 3, 2006 10:02 AM (in response to ThePunisher065)

Well by IA I think your thinking Div. 1A, 1AA etc... , the big difference there is that straight Div. 1A teams I believe are the ones that you hear the most about, they have the most competitive conferences and stuff like that, I could be wrong.  I go to UMAINE, and I believe we're Div. 1AA.  There is plenty of good competition throughout the Div. though, don't let a division make your decision on attending a school, let your academic interests choose the school then think about track.  I have friends that run Div. 3 and are in pretty competitive schools in their conference, but basically look at the different schools, make visits, and see what the school is like, cause you have to like the school you attend or your not going to want to be there

----

SXC the greatest group of guys ever. I wish you all the best of luck in the future. I wouldn't be who I am today without you guys, keep those legs moving, and let your feet carry you to wherever they may.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine <br />"Good teams become great ones, when the members trust each other enough to surrender the me for we."<br /> Phil Jackson

Sparks77[/URL" target="_blank">

""Do you ever miss it much?" Denton paused as he was sliding out of the booth and looked at Cassidy.

"Quenton, you'll come to understand this eventually.  I had my time, I really did.  It was wonderful, no doubt about it.  Stood up there blubbering like a schoolboy with my hand on my chest...."

"Bruce..."

"...and that was then.  Now I have a wonderful life.  Family, career, good health..."

"Bruce...."

Denton Laughed.

"More than I can tell you," he said, picking up the check and handing it to Cassidy."

~Again to Carthage

• WRunner124 Expert 144 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Feb 3, 2006 4:31 PM (in response to ThePunisher065)

You wanted to know the most competitive XC Colleges?
    Wisconsin, Arkansas, Colorado, Texas, Stanford
    Main difference in DI, DII is population. Class room sizies ect. DIII can't offer official athletic scholorships but some coaches are able to 'tweak' the system and offer you academic money even if you dont have the grades. (its happened to me)

That is absolute ludacris Professor you have no idea what your talking about. DII schools are just as competitive as DI schools in the class room, do you have the slightest clue what your talking about? DII kids can compete with DI kids the difference is there is more depth at the DI level. But that doesnt mean the DII teams cant compete with DI teams for example Adam State is always one of the DII powerhouse schools they could spank the majority of DI schools with ease. Abilene Christian is good also.

When you say IA do you mean NAIA? If so they are in a different class of there own. They do not compete in the normal NCAA championships. They do offer scholorship but the depth slacks off extensively from the DI, DII levels.

BUT what you have to realize is that you are not going to college to run. Your going to college to get an education. Student first athlete second. Unless you are Footlocker Cross Country National Champion then you have no buisness thinking of running pro. Just remember that in your college search your going to a school for the best education not JUST because they have a good cross country team.

• alexanderthegr8042 Legend 1,228 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Feb 3, 2006 9:31 PM (in response to ThePunisher065)

quote:

Originally posted by WRunner124:

BUT what you have to realize is that you are not going to college to run. Your going to college to get an education. Student first athlete second. Unless you are Footlocker Cross Country National Champion then you have no buisness thinking of running pro. Just remember that in your college search your going to a school for the best education not JUST because they have a good cross country team.

I kind of agree but kind of don't. You don't need to base your school just on academics. If running is a big part of your life than go ahead and factor this into your decision. If you've decided that running is going to be an important part of your life then there is no reason to exclude that from a decision that will affect the next 4-5 years of your life.
    Also you mentioned Div 1, 2, 3 and NAIA. I want to know where's the respect for the CIS? Come on now!!!

----

Alex[/URL" target="_blank">

• WRunner124 Expert 144 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Feb 4, 2006 3:51 PM (in response to ThePunisher065)

yeah enlighten me on the CIS? Is that a canadian thing?

alexanderthegr8 sry i guess i was trying to over enphasize my point that education is the most important thing. I agree with what you said about some importance of the team. If there was a school with equal academic prestige and one team finished 4th at the NCAA regional meet and the other team finished 32nd well im going to lean towards the better team. but then again money can be a big issue that does have a huge impact on realistic schools that you want to go too. for example if im a middle class kid who doesnt qualify for financial aid and i live in texas im not going to be able to aford to go to school even with a partial scholorship to go run for Stanford.

• CoachB008 Amateur 761 posts since
    Apr 27, 2000
    9. Dec 20, 2007 11:54 PM (in response to ThePunisher065)

quote:

Originally posted by Professor:

"D2 is less competative academically and athletically."

This statement is totally false. A school's athletic division is based on enrollment, the size of its athleitc budget, and the strength of its football and basketball program.

I did my masters degree at a large division 1 state school. The academics there were not any better or any worse than the smaller D2 school where I did my BA.

It is true that the larger schools can afford to keep more well known professors on campus, however, those professors are usually busy trying to publish and don't teach too many classes. They often leave many of the lower division teaching duties to graduate students (I know this from personal experience. I and all my grad student friends had to teach undergrad classes). At smaller (read D2 and D3 schools) more of the professors acutally teach classes.

Student athletes should make their decisions on academic merrit, which has nothing to do with athletic division. Just bear in mind that there are good school choices in all the athletic divisions.

[http://This message has been edited by CoachB (edited Feb-04-2006).|http://This message has been edited by CoachB (edited Feb-04-2006).]

Oops, I meant to reply with quote, not edit this post.  Sorry!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...