Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8624 Views 36 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2010 11:41 PM by LemonaidLucy RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • willwrite4chocolate Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 1, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    31. Dec 9, 2010 8:27 AM (in response to thingmabobby)
    Re: ChiRunners: How's your progress?

I just found this thread, a little late I see, but wondered how folks are doing with their ChiRunning. I read the book, got the DVD and took a class and have been able to greatly alter my foot strike, cadence, posture, etc. As you can see from my stats, I'm a very slow runner. I'm old and just got back into running this March. I've read The Pose Method too and found them very similar. It seems they are talking about the same thing, but are using different approaches to teach it. Reading both helped a lot. For example, I didn't really "get" the knee bend until I read the Post Method.

Just wondered if folks are still working on their form and, if so, how it's going.

~ Nita

• PowerRuff Amateur 35 posts since
    Jul 31, 2010
    32. Dec 9, 2010 8:41 PM (in response to thingmabobby)

I haven't finished the book yet, actually I've only made it to the beginning of chapter 4 ( life keeps making me busy lol). I bought the book because I am tired of merely keeping my shin splints under control ( run every other day, ice , massage, wear calf sleeves ect.) and hip pain. But it is just so encouraging to read about other people who have had success with it. Any tips for someone still reading through?

"SEA LEVEL IS FOR SISSIESBolderBoulder

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    33. Dec 9, 2010 10:30 PM (in response to PowerRuff)

PowerRuff wrote:

Any tips for someone still reading through?

Still reading it here, I have a lot going on in life (including taking my two daughters, ages 9 and 12, out on their day 1 of C25K tonight!). Currently, I'm running 6+ miles without having to ice down post run and I thank ChiRunning for that. While I've switched my shoes as well, I think that the relaxed lower leg and lifting the foot off of the ground instead of pushing with the toes has been gold. I'll do another long 6 tomorrow and I expect it to go at least as well. Not feeling the need to ice down after every run is awesome though.

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• LemonaidLucy Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 19, 2010
    34. Dec 10, 2010 3:37 AM (in response to Basscycle)

Still reading here too:-) I discovered ChiRunning thanks to a mate here in the forum and it really helped me to improve my posture and times while saving my joints from harm. Funny thing is that my friend who is a runner and has always been since he was a kid said he had not heard about this method but checking it out he found out he runs just like that:-) SO I guess if you start running when you-re young and your body is still growing and moulding you just learn to run naturally, like chi.

Lucie

PB 5k (training): 25:32, PB 10K (training): 56:05, PB 20k: 1:55:13, PB half marathon: 2:01:32  

4/2/2011 Prague International Half Marathon 2:03:37

6/04/2011 Silva Nortica Trail Half Marathon 2:14:54

6/18/2011 Olomouc Half Marathon

8/14/2011 Zebrak 25K

Not faster, but farther. Not catch up, but hunt down.

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    35. Dec 10, 2010 6:28 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

LemonaidLucy,

That's an interesting observation.  Kids naturally run on their midfoot / balls of their feet.  However, runners who keep running tend to pick up bad habits such as heel striking for any number of reasons.  I suspect that the most common reason is overstriding in an effort to run faster. Whether this is from deteroriating form or from trying to imitate faster runners is a question that I don't think has been addressed.

I've had the opportunity to watch elite distance runners up close.  The amount of ground covered with each stride is breathtaking.  Further, it looks like many of them overstride as they shoot past.  It's only when you slow down video of them running do you see that most do not heel strike.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• LemonaidLucy Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 19, 2010
    36. Dec 10, 2010 11:41 PM (in response to Surfing_Vol)

Surfing Vol, I think you're right that many runners pick up bad habits, my friend is probably one of the few exceptions. But he never had the ambition to be the best, he just runs. I guess that might be one of the reasons he kept his running style.

I'm always amazed how much ground the elite athletes cover with one step...

Lucie

PB 5k (training): 25:32, PB 10K (training): 56:05, PB 20k: 1:55:13, PB half marathon: 2:01:32  

4/2/2011 Prague International Half Marathon 2:03:37

6/04/2011 Silva Nortica Trail Half Marathon 2:14:54

6/18/2011 Olomouc Half Marathon

8/14/2011 Zebrak 25K

Not faster, but farther. Not catch up, but hunt down.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...