Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

68879 Views 60 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2012 6:32 PM by victoria75 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • knarfster Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 19, 2010

Spice,

Thank you for laying out the numbers.  I don't see your post as overly negative, I see it as realistic.  I think it is best to set expectations correctly at the beggning or people will be more dicouraged later when their unrelistic goals wern't reached.  Then all you will hear is a bunch of whiners saying "that C25K thing just doesn't work".  The program is designed to get you to be able to run for 30 minutes straight, that's it.

I just finished week 1 of the program.  but to get ready I started walking in July, 4 miles a day at a 16 minute mile pace, and have been doing 7 to 8 miles 6 days a week at a 14:30 pace since Spetmber.  I wear a heart rate monitor to make sure I am above 65% for the entire 2 hours to make sure the work is cardio enhancing.  Thats how you lose weight, walk 8 miles every day.  And for the people nay saying the cross training, pah.  I have been doing P90X since August, walking 7-8 miles a day (13.1 on Saturdays) and follinw the Atkins diet.  I have lost 42 lbs. since the end of Summmer.

I want to get my running to the point were I can run 6 miles straight.  That way I can quit getting up at 4 am to walk and get up at 5 am to run. For me it is ALL about burning calories.  To lose weight you must burn more calories than you take in, period.

For those of you looking to lose weight, but "don't have the time", get up an hour eqarlier and walk 3-4 miles.  Make sure its fast enought to get some cardio benefit.  After you lose some weight and your cardio health has improved you will find you don't need as much sleep.  Then get up 1/2 an hour earlier and do 2 extra miles.  For me 6 hours of sleep seems to be the sweet spot.  Go to bed at 10, get up at 4 and walk 8 miles.  With warm up and cool down and stretching at both ends I am home by 6:20, shower and out the door with children in tow by 7:10.

Tired of being overweight and/or out of shape?  make some sacrifices.  I know 8 miles a day, P90X and Atkins isn't for everyone, but get up amn hour early and do 4 miles, and cut your calorie intake, you have to start someplace.

• lisad324 Pro 95 posts since
    Aug 4, 2007

While I agree with everything said, it is possible to lose weight incorporating C25K into a life style change as well as diet modification. I am entering week 5 with a 13 pound weight loss.

C25K graduate (11/06/2010-1/1/2011)

B210K             (1/2/2011- 2/13/2011)

53 minute all run time (1/18/2011)

Philippians 4:13

I can do all things through Him

• latestarter2 Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 29, 2010

Good points big gears!  Walking 30 mins a day and eating right, not only helps me become more fit but drops weight.  I started c25k to strengthen my cardio and we eat natural foods and the weight is coming off that I had put on because I push myself to run in which, I have never ran before.  Slow and gradual progress pays.

• CLBrent Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 13, 2010

The first time I started running - I HATED it. After being out of breath getting the mail, it was a struggle to start running. BUT I continued with encouragement from friends and strangers alike. I felt that I HAVE become more fit - I went from dying after the 10 yards to the mailbox, to actually being ABLE to run 3 miles -  yes, huffing and puffing but I could have NEVER run this without exercising. AND believe it or not after continuing to become more "FIT" I began ENJOYING and looking forward to my next run! To say that if you don't like to run now, you never will is a pile of you know what. Running is great exercise, fun, always available and FREE!! Thanks, but I'll get a trainer when you pay for it. Till then, TALLY HO and YOU CAN DO IT NEWBIES!!!

• CLBrent Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 13, 2010

Way to go!!! You are such an awesome motivation!! Keep it up, Im sure your child will be SO proud of you!!!

• FelixJ Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010

I'm 39 years young, male, and decided to start c25k the day after Thanksgiving. In addition, with the help of loseit.com and its accompanying iPhone app, I set it to what it figured are the calories I need to stay under in order to lose approximately 2 lbs. per week. I'm 5'9" and started at 173 lbs so I know I don't need to lose that much. Actually, I know I don't "need" to lose weight, but rather exchange some belly buldge for more toned muscle.

I just started week 3 and feel great! I'm so glad I didn't read the original post the day I decided to start because I may not have. Make a difference??? The one minute runs were not easy on day 1 or 2, day 3 got a bit easier. Day 1 of week 2, again, was more challenging than the 3rd day of that week. Here I am on week 3 and the 3 minute run was a challenge but not impossible. I can tell you I could not have done that 2½ weeks ago. Oh, I'm also down by 6.2 lbs and ALL my pants fit great! People are noticing and commenting. Plus (and this is a HUGE plus), my wife really appreciates my increased endurance (if you know what I mean )!

So, there's experience, opinion, facts, studies, etc, etc, ... then there's my personal story that does not align to what was written. I know for sure I will not stop at 5k. I'm thinking of doing the Disney half marathon in about 13 months! So, yes, maybe it's just a starting point, but even a thousand-mile journey begins with the first step!

May all beginners to the c25k program find encouragement by my, and so many others', posts!

• Jimmyangelino Pro 68 posts since
    Dec 27, 2010

I think your post stinks. Getting people moving is the most important thing . If they can't make your lofty goals then maybe they should just stop and remain couch potatoes doing nothing. Get off your high horse and forget about what you've done and think about those that are just starting and need some encouragement to keep going. Your road was your road; nobody can share it with you. So each person travels down their own road and you cannot begin to tell them how to proceed unless you drop your prejudices about what they are doing. I absolutely despise people who pretend they  can defiine fitness and what is right or wrong to do. ANYTHING  that is more than what  you have been doing is better than doing nothing at all. So for YOU to define fitness is absurd and egotistical. Do not ever define health or fitness for anyone other than yourself, anymore than you define happiness. Shame on YOU!!

Fat Jim heading towards Slim Jim

Started C25K 12/28/10---- finished 2/23/11!!

River Rat Marathon & Bike 5k 4/23/11 46 min.

17th Annual Beer and Bagel 4 mile off road 11/06/11 61 minutes

• chillc Amateur 9 posts since
    Nov 16, 2010

if u want to run to loose weight or get fit I SAY DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at least your are being active and doing something good for your body. The  Diet and exercise industry is always saying eat this not that, workout out this way not that way. If you enjoy doing something and you feel great afterwards don't let some advertisement on tv, a book, a trainer, or in this case a  post stop you from doing what makes you happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Go Jimmy,  Go Jimmy  Love your reply!

• totheextreme Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 6, 2011

If I had read your post two weeks ago, I'd still be on the couch.  Gosh, keep non-motivational comments to yourself.  There are those of us that need support and motivation out here to even START this gig, much less keep huffing and puffing to get to the next week.  I'm on W3D2, but am having to slow it up already....only adding 15 second increment from last week versus 30 seconds...just can't do it yet. 

• kathruns Pro 79 posts since
    Oct 22, 2011

The C2K5 program ROCKS!  I couldn't run 3 miles prior to starting this (or even a half mile) and what an accomplishment for EVERYONE who finishes it!  I started the program to learn to run.  I did lose about 5 pounds since I started running at the 20 minute run of the program, but I did not need to lose it and wondering how I will put it back on.  I exercized prior to C25K, but not very intensely.  I wouldn't consider myself coming off the "couch" though either.  After adding the running to my weekly routines -  and I'm still only running 3 times a week (not even 3 miles each time), I can notice subtle changes starting to happening to my body (for the better).   Without the encouraging people on this site, I'm not sure if I would have completed the C25K program on my own.

- Kathy

Harvest Hustle 5K - 27:28 11/17/12 PR

Run to Live 5K - 30:25 9/29/12

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Graduated C25K on 12/17/11

• wildquinine Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 16, 2012

I'll ressurect this thread again. i think it's important. 

to spice:

c25k  is primarily a motivational program, and it works. to come in with your de-motivational elistist attitude is to literally undo the good this fantastic program can do for people. it's to leave them worse than they started. that is disgusting, and ignorant.

to everyone else, especially people who found this page innocently searching for c25k:

I just recently completed c25k. I have never ever been able to run a mile in my life before. I thought I was one of those people who couldn't do it. What c25k taught me is that pretty much most people can do it, and the difference between someone who can't do it and someone who can do it is the effort required. That's all it takes. and that's really true. if you're thinking about trying it but have read this post, know this: it does work. it is hard, but you CAN do it.

what c25k does is make it easier to learn to run 5k.

it doesn't make the training easy, nothing will do that, but it helps you to understand how you can beat your limits, and it's paced for people who don't currently run. if you don't currently run, that's you. if you stick it out, you win.

you won't magically become thin because of it, but it will open up all sorts of opportunities to get thinner. you'll need to look into those and work at them yourself, but c25k is a really great start.

So for those of you who've searched for c25k, read the first post in horror, and then skipped to the end of the thread to see where it all ended up listen to me:

c25k is an exceptional program. You *can* do it, and you can do it in just the stages in the program. You will be a fitter person at the end of it, and more than that, you will feel better all day, every day, and you will wonder how you didn't just feel bad all the time before you started. it is literally lifechanging.

The original post in this thread is by someone who has got just no perspective. They're interested in showing how much more they know about fitness than you, but they don't know jack about people or motivation, and you shouldn't listen to them.

Going from nothing to running 5k is a much bigger change, a much bigger improvement, and a much bigger achievement than anything this guy is talking about, because it's the difference between something and nothing. the satisfaction you feel when you finish something that you couldn't quite believe you could do will make you feel amazing, your improved fitness will make you feel amazing, and you will deserve to feel amazing because you've earned that feeling through sweat and effort. when you've done it, and you can run 5k, you will know what I'm talking about.

please don't be put off. please get out there, do the program, and stick with it. and when you've finished, and you feel that much better, come back here and post a message to prove it. trust me, it is worth your time and your effort.

• offmycouch Pro 70 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011

@ wildquinine:  Amen!!

Kris

• DaveInAuburn Expert 54 posts since
    Oct 17, 2011

Well, I stumbled on this post today, having graduated the C25K program almost 3 months ago.  I must say that I found myself agreeing with the facts of Spice's post, even if it was a little blunt in some respects.  However, had I not yet started the program, or perhaps was just gettting started, I might have felt otherwise. 

When i started the program, I had never ran or exercised in any way my entire life.  Overweight, out of shape, blah blah blah - we all know the story.  Reading some of the posts from the newbies, it's hard to imagine that just a few months ago those 3 minute runs were extremely challenging.  Yet now I'm running 10x that amount, and I'm amazed by that.  I think the biggest encouragement to those starting out is for them to read back through some of the "Starting the C25K on such and such date" threads and seeing how we ALL struggled through it - but that you can do it!  It just takes time. 

Going back to the OP's comments, I think they were probably better for me to read now than before I started, but I don't necessarily disagree with it all out of hand.  It's good to keep it real, and if something else would be better than running for someone, all the better if it works. 

Bottom Line:  Stay focused on your goals, don't overdo it (the program works as written), and listen to your body.  :-)

-DaveInAuburn

• aboniks Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 27, 2012
    If you segue into running, it should because you love running in and of itself...there is really no other reason to run!

This I've got to disagree with.  (not to attack you or anyone else, but because I personally disagree)

I see (and hear) it said often.  Still don't buy it.

Yes, if one enjoys running, that's a massive plus, and I'm jealous of you.  As an ex service-member, however, I've got to say that there are some very practical reasons to make sure you're capable of running for distance (or time), even if you hate running with a burning passion..like most of those who serve in the military do, and always have.  Personally, I'd rather eat my own liver than get up and run...but I do it anyway.

Yes, there is a segment of the population that gets a kick out of running for it's own sake.  More power to you.  For everyone else, it's worth doing it simply to know that you CAN do it if it ever becomes needed.  It's about confidence and self respect. 

If it helps to think of it as disaster preparedness, do that.  What are you going to do if you HAVE to run, and you can't?  It's like being able to do at least one pullup, or being able to carry your spouse or your child in a firemans carry...it's not going to come up as a priority every day.  Maybe not even once a year...maybe never.  But if and when...  

I will probably never like running, and I will definitely never love it, but I'll keep doing it until my body stops letting me.

Cheers,

-abo

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...