Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

839640 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 ... 297 Previous Next
  • dededee Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 11, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,020. Dec 11, 2010 7:28 AM (in response to JustSarah)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Still if osmeone can run both farther and faster they are more fitter when it ocmes to running. imo

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1,021. Dec 11, 2010 7:33 AM (in response to dededee)

dededee wrote:

Still if osmeone can run both farther and faster they are more fitter when it ocmes to running. imo

As long as you state it as your opinion and not Objective Truth, it's cool.

Again, though, I'd point out that speed (explosiveness) and endurance are different aspects of running, and very few runners have both. It's not, in my estimation, reasonable to compare Bolt and Cheruiyot with respect to fitness, since Bolt is faster over short distances, and I'd wager that Cheruiyot is faster over long distances.

By contrast, there are a lot of people in the world that could dead-lift more than either Bolt or Cheruiyot. Who's the fittest? Bolt, Cheruiyot, or any number of power lifters? Again, it all depends on how we define fitness.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

Dec 11, 2010
    1,022. Dec 11, 2010 7:44 AM (in response to dwm082)

Oh my a grammar attack thats new in the world of forum flames. Great job.

You would never be a great trainer cause you are scared to push people. But most people would love a trainer like that.

You pat them on the back lie to them and tell them they are doing a great job when in fact they arent pushing themselfs at all.

Hence why Julies clients win most of the BL competitions. She is no holds bar and gets results. While someone like you would baby them and say oh good job while they are barely breaking a sweat.

I do commend these guys for running they are doing what most dont. Im just saying if they have more potential or future pontential not to sell themselfs short.

Dec 11, 2010
    1,023. Dec 11, 2010 7:42 AM (in response to dwm082)

I think someone who has good cardio and some strength thrown into the mix would be the fittest  imo then.

Those who incorporate running, and weight training would be more fit that someones who incorporates just one of the two.

While they would not be the master of either one they would probably be cosidered the fitest if they were above average in both areas.

I consider mma fighters to be in great shape. Better shape than either a pure runner or a pure powerlifter.

The top level ones have both the qualities i desire (strength, cardiovasular fitness). But this is my opinion and you may disagree.

• andyklevorn Amateur 22 posts since
    Mar 1, 2008
    1,024. Dec 11, 2010 7:48 AM (in response to Donna914)

Whether you're fast or slow, you should be proud of your running accomplishments for 2010. What better way than to get a really cool 5k, 10, half marathon or marathon sticker or decal for the back of your car, your Nalgene, laptop or whatever. And to announce a new shopping cart for my site I'm offering all active.com members a 10% off coupon code good through January 31. Check out the standard marathon, half marathon, 25k, 5k and 10 stickers at http://www.myracesticker.com.

Use toesinthesand at checkout to get the discount.

marathon-sticker-myracesticke-logo.gif

Dec 14, 2007
    1,025. Dec 11, 2010 7:47 AM (in response to dededee)

Fair enough. My apologies for the snarkiness in my post above. Feel free to report my post for abuse and I'll remove it.

I would, indeed, be a terrible trainer. I have no qualms about admitting that. It's not because I'm afraid to push people, though. In fact, I just pushed you a bit to stretch your spelling and grammar skills. You prefer to push the body, I push the mind. We can stick with our strengths and coexist quite happily.

In any case, did I not just accomplish the same thing that you've been trying to accomplish with your posts on this thread? Did it annoy/anger/irritate you? That's exactly what you're doing here. My guess is that you're not going to run out and buy a copy of Strunk and White as a result of my post, just the same as I'm fairly confident that nobody here is going to go out and push for a 7-minute mile as a result of yours.

You need to recognize that personal training is different from participating on a forum thread. When people are starting out on their own, they need encouragement -- recognition of the little victories. Once they have a few of those under their belts, they'll be ready to be pushed. You're not pushing people when you make your posts, you're discouraging them.

Finally, great trainers know when to push and when to encourage. You seem to have the pushing down; how about some encouragement?

Don

2012 Race Schedule

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    1,026. Dec 11, 2010 7:50 AM (in response to andyklevorn)

Andy:  Do you have magnets too?

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

Dec 14, 2007
    1,027. Dec 11, 2010 7:51 AM (in response to dededee)

dededee wrote:

I think someone who has good cardio and some strength thrown into the mix would be the fittest  imo then.

Those who incorporate running, and weight training would be more fit that someones who incorporates just one of the two.

While they would not be the master of either one they would probably be cosidered the fitest if they were above average in both areas.

I consider mma fighters to be in great shape. Better shape than either a pure runner or a pure powerlifter.

The top level ones have both the qualities i desire (strength, cardiovasular fitness). But this is my opinion and you may disagree.

I completely agree, by the way. I don't watch MMA, but I've read a bit about their training regimens. Very demanding.

The folks out there who are doing CrossFit seem to have the right idea with respect to fitness in that sense. Mixed cardio/strength with an emphasis on functional movement. My only beef with CrossFit is that so many CrossFitters proseletyze so aggressively that it's off-putting. The concept is great, though.

Thanks for fleshing out some of your thoughts.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Dec 11, 2010
    1,028. Dec 11, 2010 8:23 AM (in response to dwm082)

DWM your not such a bad guy. I support everyone here.

Just dont sell yourself short guys

• GunthorTM Pro 190 posts since
    Aug 8, 2010
    1,029. Dec 11, 2010 8:27 AM (in response to Donna914)

Donna914 wrote:

Hello all,

We used to have a thread for slow runners called Penguins about last year at this time. I can't find it now. The term came from a man named John Bingham who used to write a column about slow runners for Runners World. He has a blog here http://johnbingham.competitor.com/ and another website at http://www.johnbingham.com/penguin.htmlSome of us are penguins because we run for the joy of running and not for the competition. Some are just competing against themselves.

I wanted to start a thread for slow runners because I am a slow runner, a jogger, even called a wogger before. I run in the 15:30mm and average with walking 16:30mm. I used to be at least a minute slower than this. I am over 200 pounds and have lost 35 so far. I am turning 50 in September and just want to be in shape. My kids are in college and it is me time now. I am renewing my running since I finished graduate school and ready to start running in earnest again. I signed up for a 10K the day I finished my MBA and have 12 weeks to prepare for it. I had only been running about 2 miles so have to go farther to get to that 6.2 miles of a 10K.  I am looking for a program but they seem to be too hard for me or even a little too easy. Hal Higdon's 10K novice is about right.

Anyone who wants support and companionship with other slow runners; please join in and tell us your story.

I joined this forum for the reason's I highlighted in the original post.  Unfortunately, it has been taken over by individuals who have another agenda and I am working too many hours and days now to be bothered by all of the emails from trolls.  So for the time being I am leaving and going on with my life, too short to be bothered with all of this crap.  I hope all of the good people here have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!  I'll check in next year and maybe the troll will have started their own forum on their great training principles and we can  all learn from their great successes.

Not all who wander are lost.

Puckerface 5K 9/11/10 44:27

Haunted Hustle Trail 5K 10/24/10 49:06

Portage Y 10th Annual Turkey Trot 11/25/10 41:27

Foot Pursuit 5K Trail Run 3/5/11 55:41 (Hilly & Muddy)

OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon 5/7/2011 3:27:07

Nativity Fest 5K 6/26/11 43:34- 3rd Place Clysdales

Red Dawn 5K Cross Country race 45:46 DLF

Rotatary Ramble 8/13/11 45:06

Puckerface 5K 9/10/11 42:59

• imgone Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 11, 2010
    1,030. Dec 11, 2010 8:34 AM (in response to GunthorTM)

Gunther dont leave im gone for good you have my word...

bye everyone good luck in your goals

• SuzieOH Pro 68 posts since
    Apr 24, 2010
    1,031. Dec 11, 2010 9:16 AM (in response to Donna914)

Just back from my attempt at outdoor running.  Ho boy I had forgotten - it is ALOT different than a treadmill!  I ran 2.9 miles, for 38 minutes, which I think is about 4.5 mph.  Bad news is  a) I ended up a little short on my 3.1 goal, but that is ok, I just need to refigure my road for next time and b) there were several stretches where I walked - but I have to be honest - the route was pretty hilly and it was kicking my butt.  So I am going to count it as a success and a good building block for future endeavors.  I really have done nothing outdoors since I walked the Akron Half back in September.

Tomorrow is supposed to be really crappy here so I will probably do the dreadmill but if it is remotely nice out in the AM I will try another outdoor outing!

Akron RoadRunner HM 9/25/2010 3:15:44

Great New Year's Eve 5k  12/31/2010  39:33

Shamrock 5k 3/6/2011 35:05

Black Squirrel 5k  4/2/2011

Cincinnati Flying Pig HM May 1, 2011

Rite Aid Cleveland 10k May 15, 2011

Akron RoadRunner HM  Sept 24, 2011

• Beacon4Him Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 15, 2010
    1,032. Dec 11, 2010 11:23 AM (in response to Donna914)

Hi Gang,

Even NW GA is expecting some bad weather so I got out in 49 degree weather and did my run before the wet stuff gets here & I have to try it on the treadmill again.  You can see today's run at www.buddyrunner.com/cequinn61

This is a free app I use on my android phone.  I'm not too consistent right now but I've got to take it up a notch if I'm going to attemp a Half in April.

You guys are great!!  Thanks for all your updates, knowledge and opinions.  I guess because I work "for a duck" I let a lot of these post roll off my back.  I think we all know where we stand.

Merry Christmas!

Connie Q Carter

Hebrews 12:1

C25K grad (1st time) 9/2009

First 5K--Unity Run--9/29/09--39:04

WSMS 5K--10/17/09--34:28

Began "Run for God" 7/2010

4K Run for Katie 10/4/10--29:17

Dalton HM/5K 10/16/10--35:10

• SloMo2 Expert 54 posts since
    Nov 28, 2010
    1,033. Dec 11, 2010 11:42 AM (in response to runnersofncc)

Runningncc - No, I am not happy to be a Penguin, but I have been running for just over 8 years now, and I am still not fast, so it just must not be in the cards for me to be fast.  Yes, I do want to improve my speed, but my number one goal is fitness, and to lose weight, body fat and inches.  I would be happy to improve my speed some, but I am not looking to be the fastest person, nor will I ever be.  Finishing middle of the pack would be a great accomplishment for me.  When I first started running, I could barely do one time around a track without having to want to call an ambulance, and I certainly never thought I would ever be able to do a 5k.  Now I have done races of various lengths including three half marathons, which I consider to be an accomplishment, at least for me.  Granted, it took me forever to finish, but I did finish.

Coolbikermom - If you are able to do an 11:15 mm, then I don't  consider you to be slow, and I certainly don't consider you to be a Penguin, but that is only my opinion.  To me, anyone is not even approaching being a Penguin unless your speed is a 15mm or slower, even up to a 20 mm.  If you are around 16,17, 18, or 19, ok, then you are a Penguin (in my opinion).  I would love to be able to do even close to an 11 mm, but I don't know if that will ever happen.  But keep up the good work.

dwm082 - I know this is not the forum for this subject, but yes, I hate grammatical errors and typos, also.  Plus, the person posting them is a bit negative.  I always check my posts before I send them for any errors, although I know I'm not perfect.  So feel free to point out any errors that I have made, so that I don't do so in the future.

To those that are leaving this blog - I do have a life beyond this blog and don't have time to read it every day, but I will continue to read it.  I know that life gets in the way sometimes, and  I wish you good luck in your future running endeavors.

• SloMo2 Expert 54 posts since
    Nov 28, 2010
    1,034. Dec 11, 2010 11:44 AM (in response to SloMo2)

Ok, so I already made an error - I meant to type "runnersofncc."  Sorry.

1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 ... 297 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...