Skip navigation

23290 Views 62 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2008 6:15 AM by AgeGrouper RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • lauriebruns Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jul 5, 2005 9:42 PM (in response to FrenchiePKT)
    Re: Leg Shaving

If guys shave, they should adhere to the time honored "rules" that we have lived by.

1. You must shave OFTEN because nobody likes to be stubbled.

2. Add a moisturizer to your AM routine or you will get scales that will slow you down more than a few leg hairs.

3. Tidy up the shower, tub or sink.

4. Prepare for massive teasing from your wife, girlfriend, kids, buddies, gay friends, coffee waitress, me if you know me....

5. Just don't shave your arms because that's too weird.

• khamil4 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    16. Jul 5, 2005 9:49 PM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

All this is good fodder, but my reasons are far more selfish.  First, crashes - yes it helps; but I try not to crash.  And yes, the "look."  I'm a triathlete with a bit of leg envy, and I like mine to look good, too (at least my girlfriend likes it).

But really, I wear wool dress slacks to work, and I'm telling you this, nothing feels better than fresh smooth skin against suit pants!!

Now the real reason - when you get a massage after a hard workout, there isn't any hair to pull as you're really working the muscle. Use Barbasol for sensitive skin (tan striped can), and the Lady Venus.  The women have really got something there - kicks the heck out of the Gilette Mach razor!

• triguyjohn Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    17. Jul 5, 2005 10:20 PM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

I just shaved for the first time for IM Coeur d' Alene. I had pretty hairy legs and it took me literally 30 minutes just to clear a small area on my thigh. So I went to a beauty shop and asked for an "unusual request". By the time I was halfway through I was standing on top of a counter and a young stylist was shearing my legs with an electric clipper like a sheep while the other clients looked on with amazement. I got a standing "O" at the end.

After that it's a simple mattter to shave with a razor just like your face.

Another memorable IM moment.

• coxwithane Pro 97 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    18. Jul 6, 2005 5:46 AM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

All you women who think smooth legs are sexy should start dating Native American men...very little (if any) body hair.

Amy

• triruth Pro 174 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    19. Jul 6, 2005 12:49 PM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

DO NOT wax! I did my arms ONCE! Yikes. It certainly does hurt, but it also takes forever. I usually trim it down with some electric clippers minus the guard and then shave with a razor. I've found K-Gel to be the best lube; it alows you to see all the knobs of protruding bones near the ankles, knees, and elbows. I'd say that most athletes won't see a great benefit from hair removal unless you're a fast swimmer. If you shave the legs, it only makes sense to do the same with your arms, chest, back and shoulders (you sasquatch). Of course, with a wetsuit itis not necessary. Also, if you've got legs like a Greek god, ladies dig the hairlessness; if they're twigs don't even think about it.

• ehomestead Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    20. Jul 7, 2005 10:02 AM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

My opinion? . . . It's all about looks and how it feels. You are more aware of your body position in the pool; and the wind (or water) on a ride (or a swim) slicing around your legs makes you feel fast. It's the psychological edge.

As far as arms, I've recently heard you don't want to shave them because it is your arms that pull you through the water due to the drag they cause. If you look at the forearm of a tri suit these days, some now come with texture to increase the drag to help your arms pull more water with each stroke. Better performance through physics.

• Fred Magana Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    21. Jul 7, 2005 10:50 AM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

Leg shaving isn't really "necessary".  Sure it can reduce drag in the water, but being realistic, for most of us it really doesn't matter inless you're Big Foot. I do shave my legs for three reasons.  One, it does make wound mending much easier.  Two, it places that stamp on you to say you are into the sport.  Most importantly, I do it to keep myself mentally focused.  Shaving legs I think is a real pain in the behind.  So, I do it to tell myself I'm doing it for a reason. It seems the smoother my legs, the more focused I am.

• jkenny5150 Legend 252 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    22. Jul 7, 2005 11:34 AM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

To ehomestead: You are partially correct.  You should not shave the underside of your arms for swimming.  Most of your pulling power comes from the catch from the inside of your forearms, so you want to leave the hair there.  As for the top (outside) of your arms, they're just extra resistance/turbulence in the water and should be shaved for optimal performance.  I think the inside of your forearms have more exposed blood vessels also, so I you don't want a cut there.

• EasyMan Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    23. Jul 7, 2005 12:18 PM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

Who's kidding whom. let's not forget or pretend that there is not a vanity issue here. Legs, and arms, just look stronger, more toned, "buffed out", when shaven. Yes there is a resistance factor, but come on now. If you want to do it...do it. If not, don't, but just don't judge. To each there own.

• ringnerd Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    24. Jul 7, 2005 3:36 PM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

Great thread. Interestingly, nobody's talked about shaving their head, which I do regulary (plain razor). Takes a little longer than face shaving but I'm hooked: when I run or bike I feel cleaner and faster. I haven't taken on the rest of the body because of the maintenance quotient -- i.e. time involved, plus hair grows back more aggressively when it's shaved, and I'm a little worried about discomfort as it does grow back. I wouldn't mind a laser but I'll only trust a Derm (MD) to do it and the price I've been quoted is high ($5-10K for permanent removal)

• jkenny5150 Legend 252 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    25. Jul 8, 2005 7:14 AM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

How do you shave your own head entirely without giving yourself cuts and/or razor burn?  The hair is so thick and some areas are so hard to reach.  I've always had to have someone else do it.

• lgilman Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    26. Jul 8, 2005 7:56 AM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

I shaved my legs for the first time in several years last night, took me forever, and I did a really crappy job because of all the hair on my legs.  I haven't decided how much of my thigh I want to shave off though.  Any suggestions on the best razor for shaving/ lotion for the legs after shaving?

• Grizdog Pro 177 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    27. Jul 8, 2005 9:24 AM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

i shave in my private area, so when i wear my bikini speedo's nothing sticks out. I also shave my back on my wife's request, she has nightmares of a gorrilla in bed with her. might as well shave the rest of my body.

• ringnerd Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    28. Jul 8, 2005 2:16 PM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

How do you shave your own head entirely without giving yourself cuts and/or razor burn?

I've actually never cut my head. I find my scalp is tougher than my face -- and now that I've been at it a while I can almost do it without looking. That said, I use a hand held mirror for the back of my head/neck, and I move slowly to avoid razor burn, repeating areas where I can't get close the first go around. I used to have a barber shave it for me, but then I realized I could do it better myself, free of cost

• TurboMatic Pro 53 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    29. Jul 8, 2005 9:06 PM (in response to FrenchiePKT)

FrenchiePKT, what? Eti-what? Men shaving legs is only one of those idiosyncrasies, you know? It's like: shaving legs is to cycling etiquette as spitting is to baseball ettiquette. Dig? I just don't feel like hackin-up so often just to spit for the etiquette of baseball.

schweitn, "enough said", huh? Well I don't got nothing else to do right now so I just gotta play with this a little.

dstone753, wound maintenance? Say what? First, just don't fall. Second, being completely risk free is very "expensive." Why not just wear protective gear - like a hockey player. That'll do it. Just don't wear it in the water! Ok, ok, if you do fall, just suck it up, pour some stuff on it, put on a bandaid and go riding.

skleekamp, hair clippers? Wahl with no attachment? You'd have the stubbles from hell. Permanent!! Hey man, don't even think of gettin in the bed with your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend or whatever you got. They'd need to shave just to keep the hair our of their wounds.  Knowdamean?

lindyluv2, hit nail on head sista! Now I got to shave my legs every day? Eeeee sheeee!! No way Jose!

johnpactive27, "try it, you'll like it" huh? Ok but what's next? Maybe the next thing you try, you'll like that too. Now that's mo scarier than the dreaded razor ain't it?

mpajaro, ok dude (or dudette), good advice. Ok guys shave your legs so it's not so messy if you can't find a port-o-potty. Of course, stopping and using a good aim is out of the question. Or maybe you're speaking of something else (??). In that case, I suppose going behind the tree is out of the question. Anyway, I'da never thought of that reason.

runtrail and trigirl3672, sexy huh? Hey, girls have much smoother, prettier legs that any well-shaven man. I don't suppose you, you uh, well, do you, uuhh, I mean you wouldn't, like, well ... ah just forget it. 

Aight, don't kill me. I'm just messin with yall. To each his own!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...