Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

22990 Views 106 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2011 12:05 AM by msmeg Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next
  • msmeg Amateur 22 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007

Thanks!  Good job yourself on finishing C25k and good luck on the C210K! 

I've looked at that a lot.  I think I'm going to do the Hal Higdon novice 10K schedule.  I like the intervals, but I wound up buying my own Garmin and am enjoying running for distance. 

I signed up for a 1/2 marathon next October, giving me almost a year to train.  I talked to one of the trainers at my gym who suggested just gradually adding mileage over the winter and then adding some real hills and speedwork next summer, which pretty much matches the Higdon plans.   One of the women I work with used a Galloway program to run a marathon this fall and had a very good experience.  She said it was almost painless.

I have two more 5Ks coming up, one this weekend and one on January 2.  I also signed up for an 8K Shamrock run.  This gives me plenty of time to do the 10K program between now and then even if I get stalled for a week or two along the way.

On the one hand I'm pretty discouraged this week (I've been doing weight watchers and had a massive fail) on the other hand I felt great on my run this morning (except for the couple of minutes when I thought I'd lost my house keys-that would have been a disaster) and I really have been loving it. 

Now my stupid dog is barking to go out, so I'd best call it a night and take her.  Happy running!!!

meg

Started C25K for the third time October 1st.

Finished 11/26/2010

Races:

Hot Buttered Run 5K 11/28/10 37:50

Jingle Bell Run 5K 12/5/10  gun time 37:52  chip time 36:07

• huckie Pro 78 posts since
    Jul 15, 2010

Well I ran W6D2 today it is all going very smoothly but the gym and treadmill are a little boring. I had a work out session with a trainer yesterday and we were working on my core strength, it seems to be much better this time around however today I have sore thighs (squats no doubt!). I think the only thing I am noticing with the longer runs is I sweat more, which is gross, I'm glad it's an all women gym.

I haven't noticed any change in my figure yet, but I am only just starting the intense runs...

Mama to 2 little people

Horse rider and now runner

• Emi102506 Amateur 19 posts since
    Oct 11, 2010

Melinda... I did not try them.  I just ran to see how long I could go, while monitoring my heart rate.  I am just enjoying the feeling of running continuously.  I'll see about what kind of program I want next.  I still don't think I'm up to a 5K, though.

• MaxSatt Rookie 8 posts since
    Jul 6, 2009

Melinda,

I've had workout like that where nothing seems to work right! Yes, still here lurking... I got in 1 run last week.. on the dreaded treadmill 4.5 miles in about an hour. Then Saturday, I decided to take part in a 5 miler called Over the River and Through the Woods... It was a lot of fun and I completed it in 1:05... I think I would have had a better time but started out with some ladies doing 2/2s in a C25K program put on by a local running store. I finally went on without them as they were running out of gas at the half way point.

It's gotten pretty cold for us here in the S.E., so will probably get my run tomorrow on the treadmill. I know running in freezing weather for some of you Yankees isn't to bad, but we're not quite ready for it here in the Heart of Dixie!

I am volunteering as a split timer this weekend for our big Rocket City Marathon, then the following weekend doing the Rudolph 5K run...

Have a great week of running everyone!

Max

Finished: Rudolph Run 5k - 19 Dec 09 39:10

Ribbon Run 5k - 16 Oct 10 40:01

Spooktacular 5k - 30 Oct 10 38:46

Huntsville 1/2 Marathon - Split Timer - 13 Nov - Volunteer

Krispy Kreme Donut Challenge 4mi - 20 Nov 2010 51:07

Jingle Bell 5K Run for Arthritis - 21 Nov 2010 38:31

Over the River and Through the Woods - 4 Dec 2010 1:05:36

Rocket City Marathon - Split Timer - 11 December 2010

Rudolph Run 5k - 18 Dec 10 36:54

Upcoming: Terrame MidNight Run 5K - 31 Dec 10 @ 11:30pm

Oklahoma City Memorial Half Marathon - 1 May 2010

Dec 6, 2007

I'm still here!  I ran another 5K last Sunday, a bit faster (if you go by chip time).  I started slow, increased my pace each mile and finished strong.  I sprinted the last 100 yards or so-probably too fast as my HR monitor went ballistic.  Had some shin splints the next day so my runs this week have been shorter than the end of C25K.  I'm ready for W2D3 of Hal Higdon's beginner 10K plan, which will be a 3.5 mi run over the weekend.

I've been crosstraining like a madwoman this week, doing strength training with a trainer an hour a week and done Zumba and spinning on my days off from running this week.   The trainer I've had for awhile but the classess are new.  Zumba is awesome, even though I'm terrible at it; the spinning instructor is a sadist, but hey, he's a cute sadist.

I've lost a fair amount of weight since starting C25K.  I joined weight watchers around the same time so I think that's responsible for the weight loss and the running changes my body but also makes the program easier because the odd ice cream or pizza (or whole thing of glazed almonds from holiday bazaar in the lobby of my office) doesn't derail the whole thing.

I'm happier than I've been in awhile.  It's not all the running, but that's a big part of it.  I'm still frustrated about some things and get discouraged but it seems like I've been bouncing back a bit easier.  It's kind of scary.  I have hope for the future, I see good things happening, but I don't know if it'll last.  I mean, I've been in what seemed to be a good place before and slid back, but somehow I really think this time will be different.

Wow.  Sorry for the overshare there.  I'm still loving it.

M

Finished 11/26/2010

Races:

Jul 6, 2009

Well, we have just gotten our second dose of really cold air here in the deep South. I have moved inside to the treadmill until we get back into the mid to upper 30s and the winds die down. 14F is just not gonna make me want to get out and fry my lungs with icey cold air!

I will be running in a 5K on Saturday, but it should be a little warmer by then.

I really had a great time volunteering for our local marathon this past Saturday. There were 1,200 runners from all over the country. I was calling out times from a stop watch as the passed me at mile 8.

Only had time for a mile on the treadmill at my gym this morning, will be continuing on with my C2 10K program tomorrow, still on the treadmill.

Have a great week!

Max

Oklahoma City Memorial Half Marathon - 1 May 2010

Dec 6, 2007

I highly recommend Zumba.  It was seriously fun and I'm uncoordinated too.  The instructor is young, maybe 22 or so, and has been dancing her whole life.  No one can do what she does but we try!

Yesterday I ran 3.5 miles and once again found myself not close enough to home when I stopped to make it back (last time it was too cold to walk, yesterday I was running out of time to make it to an appointment) so I had to run partway home again.  I need to pick up a couple more pieces of gear I think; yesterday's running clothes weren't a blinding mishmash of colors but were pretty bad.  brown socks, black and bright green pants, brown base layer and a bright blue shell. 

I'm headed to Indiana in a few days to visit family for the holidays.  I lived in Ohio last time I did C25K; it was winter and I remember running laps around the Shoe in the snow.

*sigh* the house isn't gonna clean itself so I should probably put down the laptop.

Finished 11/26/2010

Races:

• Emi102506 Amateur 19 posts since
    Oct 11, 2010

Max,

How do you find the treadmill in comparison to running on the street?  I set my incline to 1 or 2, but it feels soooo much faster.  I know what my times are running on the street, but when I set the treadmill to that same time, it is just way to fast for me...  

Thanks,

Candace

Dec 6, 2007

Happy last weekend of crazy shopping and baking and errand running before Christmas!  My vacation started yesterday so I am back home in Indiana, hanging out with my mom and Grandpa.  (He's 91 and my favorite person in the world.) 

Today I ran around my hometown.  It's a lot colder here than it is in Oregon this week; the first five minutes were less-than-pleasant and the snow removal here is a bit sketchy, but it turned out to be a good run-I hit 4 miles, which is my longest run ever-(yay!)  It was almost like a sappy movie in my head-Bruce Springsteen in my earbuds, running past houses I delivered papers to as a kid, running through the grounds of the high school (now downgraded to a middle school) that was the center of my universe 20 years ago, remembering when I rode my bike there as a ten year old, daydreaming about being a big kid there someday.  I knew this was a small town, but I didn't realize how small until my 4 miles required running back and forth all over town. 

Cheers,

MsMeg

Finished 11/26/2010

Races:

Jul 6, 2009

Candace,

I keep the incline at 1%, but by the time I get to the 3.5mi point I am so incredibly bored and hot that I have to stop. Have decided to suck it up and be a girl and get back out into the cold and run! I ran a 5K yesterday and it felt really good.

After the holidays, my Half Marathon training starts in earnest. Will be training with a friend who just ran in our local Marathon and wants to do the Music City Half in April... Can't wait to start, just hope I can keep up with them!

Hope everybody finds time to get their runs in this week!

Hope everyone has a great Christmas!

Max