Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

776963 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 ... 297 Previous Next
  • runningangelinvt Pro 137 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,095. Dec 13, 2010 10:47 AM (in response to runningangelinvt)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

I also wanted to add that I enjoy reading through all of your posts and you all have great advice and give each other wonderful support. Have a great day!

Kerry

Life is too short not to waddle......

2012 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 6/10/12

Finish time- 1:38:23

Colchester Triathlon 7/29/12 (Kayak 2mi, Bike 12mi, Run 3.1mi)

Finish time- 2hrs 38min 04sec (Will never do the kayak part again!)

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Colchester Triathlon 07/31/2011 2hr 24 min (not my best ever! but I finished)

Started C25K 12/15/10

• Joan the pt Expert 51 posts since
    Oct 25, 2010
    1,096. Dec 13, 2010 5:03 PM (in response to Donna914)

Hello again,

I am really in awe of all of you who run in the snow and freezing weather. I am the fast walker who isn't very fast right now. Actually is a penguin a slow runner? Can I be considered a penguin if I am a walker? Actually tonight on my treadmill I will see if I can jog for 1 mile. I was able to do so, but haven't tried recently because I have been walking. But tonight I will do the run. Talking about bucket list stuff, before I shuffle of this mortal coil, I would like to try a real live running/jogging 5 K. Tonight may be the start of something big, or not. You all are such inspiration.

Thank you

Joan the PT

• mythic Pro 103 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010
    1,097. Dec 13, 2010 7:13 PM (in response to Joan the pt)

Joan the pt wrote:

Hello again,

I am really in awe of all of you who run in the snow and freezing weather. I am the fast walker who isn't very fast right now. Actually is a penguin a slow runner? Can I be considered a penguin if I am a walker? Actually tonight on my treadmill I will see if I can jog for 1 mile. I was able to do so, but haven't tried recently because I have been walking. But tonight I will do the run. Talking about bucket list stuff, before I shuffle of this mortal coil, I would like to try a real live running/jogging 5 K. Tonight may be the start of something big, or not. You all are such inspiration.

Thank you

Joan the PT

Hi Joan!

Congratulations on taking the first steps towards that 5K goal.  You CAN do it--many of us here have...and some went from relatively little activity to finishing a 5K.

Have you considered the C25K program?  >> http://c25k.com/

It's a 9-week program where you do walking/running intervals to work up to that 5K distance.  One good thing about it is that it increases your running intervals gradually, preventing injury and building endurance.  It's a program that many of us here have completed.

In fact, my last day of the C25K program was the first time I ever ran in a 5K race (I had been a strong walker/weekend hiker before that).  I believe there are other programs out there, but that's the one I'm most familiar with.

Whatever your training approach--good luck and keep moving!

C25K Graduate 10-30-10

"Do it now. You become successful the moment

you start moving toward a worthwhile goal."

~Samuel Johnson

• runningangelinvt Pro 137 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    1,098. Dec 14, 2010 7:48 AM (in response to mythic)

I am starting the c25k tonight. I was going to start early this morning but I wimped out and let my excuses talk me out of it. i am tossing those excuses to the curb and not going to listen to them anymore.

Joan the PT- I wish you well with your training. This c25k program is something I know I can do. Very easy to follow and I do like the way it will ease me into running nonstop for 30 min.

Kerry

Life is too short not to waddle......

2012 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 6/10/12

Finish time- 1:38:23

Colchester Triathlon 7/29/12 (Kayak 2mi, Bike 12mi, Run 3.1mi)

Finish time- 2hrs 38min 04sec (Will never do the kayak part again!)

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Colchester Triathlon 07/31/2011 2hr 24 min (not my best ever! but I finished)

Started C25K 12/15/10

• Modimum Amateur 35 posts since
    Nov 23, 2010
    1,099. Dec 14, 2010 8:54 AM (in response to Donna914)

Well this thing called running continues to cofound and amaze.

I really had three awful runs last week. I hated them, I trudged through them, walked more than I should, was just generally miserable. Despite that, I decided to graduate myself to week 2 of the 10k plan on Monday, just to see if longer runs + less intervals of walking was easier mentally. Because that's pretty much always where I struggle. The mental part of this game.

It was FREEZING for Savannah, 15 with windchill, so I donned my Mizuno Breath Thermal Tights and shirt, another technical shirt and running jacket, hat and mittens and headed out.

Well. In my desperation to get back to the car, I shaved almost a full minute off my average pace dropping me in the 13.30 mm range over 4.3 miles. And the run felt good. I guess last week was about building up to a further time/distance and Monday was the payoff. I obviously like to run warm, because apart from flipping back the tops of the mittens, I didn't shed a single layer.

As for those of you considering the C25k. I'll add another endorsement. Apart from general chasing around after small chiildren, I have no exercise background at all. But the C25K program was totally doable. Go for it!

Cold weather gear folks - I'm a big fan of the Mizuno Breath Thermal stuff. It's not cheap, but the fabric actually generates warmth from sweat. It's pretty amazing. I have enough rest days built in, that I can get away with a single set. For now I am running in clear, dry, Southern winters, but next week and the following, I'll be in CT, so hopefully I'll be able to keep getting outdoors.

I won a pair of shoes from the local running store in a trivia competition, so I went in to get them yesterday, and my current shoes reveal that I'm landing on my mid/fore foot which I'm very happy about. I'm anxious to avoid injury through excessive heel striking, and as I new runner I didn't want to start out in a way that might lead me into trouble.

Need to get my single set of winter gear washed ready for tomorrow's run.

Keep on keeping on!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1,100. Dec 14, 2010 10:11 AM (in response to Modimum)

It has been in 34's and 40's here so I haven't been running outside. It's supposed to get warmer towards the end of the week.

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    1,101. Dec 14, 2010 12:41 PM (in response to MelissaGraham7)

Melissa - I too ran Sunday in the rain in Parma, Ohio.  It was 36 degrees and it was wonderful.  I too was the only one on the trail through the park that I saw.  I ran 3.6 miles at about a 13:40 mm pace.  That was faster than I have been in the snow!  This morning though it was so cold my dogs didn't even want to go out.   I ran 2.5 on the dreadmill.  I just hate it.  Besides being in the basement and boring, it's dusty and I don't breathe well down there.  Hopefully Thursday will be manageable outside.  I'm hoping Santa brings more some better cold weather apparel because I love running in the snow at 6am.  I can handle "feels like 14 degrees", but I am not sure about "feels like -2"!

Melinda

Jun 11, 2010
    1,102. Dec 14, 2010 12:55 PM (in response to Slow Running)

Slow Running - I think I wear more clothes in this winter weather than everybody else.  I have had arthritis for about 20 years and if my legs and feet get cold I am dead in the water.  But I love running outside so....I just add more clothes.  I love running at 6am in the snow.  It's so bright, quiet and peaceful.  I really need to purchase some quality winter gear.  It's just really pricey.  Right now I am wearing a set of cuddle duds and lots of layers.  I do have a few pairs of under armor socks though and they really help.

What a great thread, fellow penguins.  How amazing so many wonderful people have found their way here.

Melinda

Jun 11, 2010
    1,103. Dec 14, 2010 12:58 PM (in response to SuzieOH)

SuzieStow - I live in Parma.  I have found two other women, (actually closer to you), who would like to get together and run.  Maybe you would be interested in joining us.

Melinda

Jun 11, 2010

willwrite4chocolate - Sunday when I ran I wore a Sugoi wind and rain jacket I found on eBay.  Running in the snow early in the morning I have been wearing a fur lined hoodie as my last layer.  It doesn't look too cool, but it's warm.  There aren't too many people out that early anyway

Melinda

• Sunrunner719 Amateur 35 posts since
    Nov 8, 2010
    1,105. Dec 14, 2010 2:12 PM (in response to Donna914)

I really hate being out on the road. I'ts so effing hard to get motivated to run, and if I have to run on a treadmill... well, I would rather stab myself in the eye with a pencil.  

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be devoured by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.

definition of running: To move swiftly on foot so that both feet leave the ground during each stride.

9/18/10 Graduate C25k

10/2/10 Run For Courage 5k time 47.18

11/6/10 Run for Safe Haven 5k  time 45.00

2/12/11 Valentine Run 2011 4 miles 58:10

Dec 14, 2007
    1,106. Dec 14, 2010 2:49 PM (in response to Sunrunner719)

My dreadmill is in the living room with Dust on it

• MelissaGraham7 Legend 315 posts since
    Nov 2, 2010
    1,107. Dec 14, 2010 2:57 PM (in response to QueenKitty)

Kudos, Queen Kitty, on your run in the rain, too!    Glad you did it.

I just did 3.85 miles in 53 minutes outside, 26 degrees with wind chill of 15.   Still, not a bit cold once I started running!

Waddle on, Friends! 

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up!" Dean Karnazes

Equinoxalizer 5K 3/19/2011: Time 37:13; 2nd place in age group!

Dogwood 5K April 29, 2011: Time 36:15

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/18/2011: Time: 61 minutes 15 seconds

Mebane on the Move 10K 09/10/2011: Time 75 minutes 16 seconds; 1st in age group (oldest woman running!)

Valentine's Massacre Marathon Relay 2/12/2012: Team distance 26.2 my pace 12:02 my distance 8 miles

Fleet Feet 4-mile in Chapel Hill 4/22/2012: PR for 11:53 pace!! WOOOHOOO!

Run for the Haw 5K on 5/26/2012: PR for 11:50 pace and First in Age Group! First race in Skele-Toes (minimalist shoes)

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/02/2012:

Yellow Brick Road 5-Miler 07/14/2012:

Keep on running!

Dec 14, 2007
    1,108. Dec 14, 2010 3:40 PM (in response to MelissaGraham7)

Awesome timing in such Cold weather!

• SuzieOH Pro 68 posts since
    Apr 24, 2010
    1,109. Dec 14, 2010 5:31 PM (in response to QueenKitty)

Melinda,

I would love to join you guys!  January and February are crazy for me but throw some dates out and I am sure we can make something work.  I am slooooooooooooooooow as long as you all are ok with that!!  Maybe even before year end!!!

And kudos, by the way, for running outside in this horrible weather.......after much snow shoveling, I felt like it was too slippery.  I did some dreadmill duty tonight....just had to keep reminding myself how good it feels when you are done!

Suzie

Akron RoadRunner HM 9/25/2010 3:15:44

Great New Year's Eve 5k  12/31/2010  39:33

Shamrock 5k 3/6/2011 35:05

Black Squirrel 5k  4/2/2011

Cincinnati Flying Pig HM May 1, 2011

Rite Aid Cleveland 10k May 15, 2011

Akron RoadRunner HM  Sept 24, 2011

1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 ... 297 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...