Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

66810 Views 310 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2011 11:45 AM by Skywalker88 Go to original post 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 Previous Next
  • iamuneek Amateur 33 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    270. Dec 13, 2010 6:41 PM (in response to Skywalker88)
    Re: Weight loss buddies

Skywalker88,

Thanks for continuing to be creative in finding new ways to keep us motivated!  I really need that. :-)  I've been gone for quite a while and am quite surprised and pleased to report I have actually managed to lose a few more lbs.  I'm going to start tracking my weight more closely from here on out.  Right now, I'm at 151.2, I am so close to dropping below 150 that I can hardly wait.  I got a little overzelous after my first 5K and am fairly sure I have bursitis.  I haven't been to the Dr. yet b/c I wanted to finish my race this past weekend first.  It was only two miles, but I had to walk about 1/3 of it b/c the pain was so bad in my hip.  I'll be glad to be healed and start the new year off on the right foot.

Congratulations to everyone on your weight loss and run progress.  You all have been doing great while I've been out. :-)  I'm looking forward to getting back out there again.  I have really missed my regular runs.

Nancy

"I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free." Psalm 119:32

Started C25K: 9/20/2010

Wishes 4 Wags 5K 11/6/10 38:19

Powder Springs Polar Run 12/11/10 22:36

Restarted C25K 7/11/11

Run in the Son 5K 9/17/11

Restarted C25K again...9/23/13
    Upcoming:

Gobble Jog 11/28/13

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    271. Dec 13, 2010 8:01 PM (in response to Skywalker88)

Today was my Birthday,  I did have a drink and cake.  I ate clean all day so hopefully it won't hurt.

• RunG2010 Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 10, 2010
    272. Dec 14, 2010 5:22 AM (in response to Skywalker88)

Good Morning All!

I completed my first of 3 30m walks this morning.  I joined a gym and it was on a treadmill.  I kept my heart beat in the mid intensity range.  I was going for 30 min constant walk.  I was worried and it turned out for no reason.  I think before when walking I might have been pushing to hard. Lesson in target zones.

Someone started a thread on how c25k could not help you get fit or loose weight.  I beg to differ.  It it can encourages someone who is vary sedentary and extremely over weight to get off the couch then it will.  Yes a good eating plan will be needed. 

If you take a marine out of basic and but them through it then no.  It all depends on what you start with and this happens to be my starting point.

Skywalker- thanks for the encouragement.  After this mornings walk you might be right.  It was much easier then I thought it would be.  Not saying it was easy just not as bad as I thought it would be. 

Have a wonderful day everyone!

• Lola'69 Amateur 18 posts since
    Feb 7, 2008
    273. Dec 14, 2010 7:36 AM (in response to Skywalker88)

Skywalker, thanks so much for the encouragement! I really need it. Well, today I managed to go for a short run (a little over 4 km.) and it felt good. I really hope to be able to continue running on a daily basis, even though I already know that tomorrow I won't be able to run (I'll have a hectic day) I'd love to get up very early and go for a morning run, but I don't think that'll happen either, as I'm going to bed too late lately: too much ironing to do, Christmas decorations still unfinished, etc. etc. Still, I'm going to try to find half an hour to work out, perhaps in the evening.

I'm still eating clean for the most part: today I've been really good. The hardest meal for me to plan is dinner, as I like to eat like, something like fruit anad low fat yogurth or LF cheese, but this is not always satiffying, depending on the day and on how hungry I feel in the evening.

By the way, I agree with Nancy: thanks for keeping this thread going and everybody inspired. I'm not sure I'll be able to provide all the info you're asking for but I'll try. Are you suggesting a Christmas challenge? That would be... challenging!! right? Generally speaking, I've found through the years that Xmas is "survivable" as long as I exercise on a daily basis. I may not lose, but at least I tend to maintain my weight. Or at least that used to be the case in my thirties. Now that I've crossed the border into the fourth decade things have slowed down a bit. We'll see how I do this time.

Maria, happy belated bday!!

Dec 14, 2007
    275. Dec 14, 2010 9:49 AM (in response to RunG2010)

Congrats! on your first walk and for joining a gym!

• RunG2010 Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 10, 2010
    276. Dec 14, 2010 11:48 AM (in response to Skywalker88)

Thanks for all of the wonderful feedback and encouragement.

I hated the thought of joining a gym.  The big one with the classes etc.  I checked out one of the small gyms that you can go anytime.  I was really worried about keeling over and in a park I might be there for hours.  Anyway I went at 7am there was 1 guy leaving and 2 others (father and son) working out.  By the time I left there were about 10 in there everyone went right to work and other then smile and greetings nothing else happend.  What a relief.  When I was much smaller and trying to get fit we joined one of those big gyms with everything and I over heard comments and felt watched. Hated it...

Anyway I feel like I have taken some kind of energy booster and this is the time of day I start to drag....  I might have to walk again in the morning.

My Christmas Challenge to my self is to work out on christmas eve or christmas morning...

Happy moving y'all!

G

btw my friends call me G and i have been hearing in my head run G run as in run Forest run.

• Marge45764 Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 1, 2010
    277. Dec 14, 2010 9:33 PM (in response to Skywalker88)

So glad I found this site! Just started Week 3 c25k yesterday, and was amazed that i could last through 3 minutes running (usually my treadmill pace is 3.5mph walk, 5.0mph run, no incline--figured I'll start increasing incline in the next couple weeks or will re-do some weeks with a higher incline since the weather's cold). Right now I'm 5'1 and 143, with BMI of 26--would like to get to around 120-125 and into a normal BMI. I run every other day, and some times am able to do 30 minutes on the Wii Fit. It's been too cold to walk the dogs, but I just got them coats so we can start going again.

I haven't started changing my eating, but I know it's gonna be hard to do that. Anybody have good ideas for cooking for one?

Thanks!

Marge45764

• Kristy Burleyson Pro 62 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    278. Dec 15, 2010 3:34 AM (in response to Skywalker88)

Hi everyone

I'm so glad to see this tread is taking off.  I replied when it first became active, but life took over.  I've been pretty discouraged because I lost my motivation, but I injured my knee and couldn't run for 3 weeks (thought it would NEVER get better), went back to the gym since I'm def not a cold weather outdoor runner, then got sick.  It's taken forever to get over, and today for the first time I feel like I want to go to the gym.  However, tonight my daughter is coming over to make Christmas candy (its a tradition) and I'm sorta dreading it to tell the truth.  I don't like the candy but its DH/DD favorite stuff so I make it for them.  Anywoo - I'm just glad that I'm feeling some motivation again.  I haven't gained any weight during all this, and I ordered the new stuff from WW so I could get started with that again.  I'm amazed at how much it's changed.  Oh well, enough about me.  Congrats to everyone for their accomplishments.  I want to weigh 130 or less - I'm at 147 now.  I know it can happen, but boy at 54 it sure takes much more effort than it did 20 yrs ago!

Kristy

Dec 14, 2007
    279. Dec 15, 2010 7:32 AM (in response to Kristy Burleyson)

Glad your doing better now and way to go for not gaining weight during all of this!

Dec 14, 2007
    280. Dec 21, 2010 4:15 PM (in response to Skywalker88)

Now that the kids are out of school. I ran in my subdivision this morning. I ran 3 miles and did another 2 this evening. My eating has been good and I'm hoping the scale will move this weekend.

• Lola67 Pro 69 posts since
    Oct 24, 2010
    281. Dec 28, 2010 3:49 PM (in response to flamomof3)

Hello everybody!! It has been a while since I posted on this thread. Update short and sweet version, my knees are almost 100% healed, I skipped a few weeks on CT5K because I started running 30 minutes straight without stopping, weight is still at 171 (no weight gain over Christmas) and my 1st 5k is January 29h! After this weekend I will get more serious on my eating and try and shed a few pounds before race day.

I am really glad to see this thread is still going and glad to hear everyone is doing well!

Started CT5K 10.18.2010

Graduated 12.27.2010

1st 5K 01.29.2011 PR 00.33.40

Dec 14, 2007
    282. Dec 28, 2010 7:33 PM (in response to Lola67)

Congrats on the knees doing better!

• Lola'69 Amateur 18 posts since
    Feb 7, 2008
    283. Jan 3, 2011 4:04 PM (in response to Skywalker88)

Happy New Year everybody!!!!

Well, I'm happy to report that  this Christmas break I was able to overcome a long-lasting plateau and  went down 3 pounds!! Amazing. I'm almost shocked!!

And happy, of course. Now I just hope to keep this weight stable. I'm down now to 124, which is just three pounds closer to my goal weight.

Good day everybody!

SW 127
    CW 124
    GW 121

Dec 14, 2007
    284. Jan 3, 2011 4:48 PM (in response to Lola'69)

Congrats!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points