Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 14, 2010 8:37 AM

Lee picks Philly

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Dec 15, 2010 6:40 AM (in response to Lou_B)
    Re: Lee picks Philly

I was surprised.  In this day and age, players tend to go where the most money takes them.  It's refreshing to see that the Yankees can't just get their way every time by flashing the biggest offer in someone's face.

• TG. Legend 954 posts since
    Jul 25, 2007
    3. Dec 15, 2010 10:40 AM (in response to Lou_B)

Lee would have paid 2M a year more in city and state income tax had he chosen to play for the Yankees. Plus the cost of living is lower in Philadelphia than New York. And with today's salaries isn't there a point where enough is enough and the player can chose location over top dollar.

Jul 25, 2007
    5. Dec 15, 2010 12:02 PM (in response to Lou_B)

Lee chose an organization with a chance to win it all. It turns out Lee initiated contact with the Phillies last week. He liked playing there. His wife liked living there.

Jul 25, 2007
    7. Dec 15, 2010 2:20 PM (in response to Lou_B)

It was all the factors I stated. The Phillies have a better chance than the Yankees. Who are Nova and Mitre anyway? For those who don't know they're the #4 and #5 starters for the Yankees. And Burnett is #3. Look for the Yankees to offer Pettite anything he wants to return along with targeting a few MLB pitchers and offering their teams a lot in a trade. The thing I like is the Yankees are getting old and are forced to fork over top prospects to stay in contention.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...