Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4614 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 24, 2010 6:26 PM by cdubbs46 RSS
chillc Amateur 9 posts since
Nov 16, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 13, 2010 8:53 AM

Strength training!!!!

I have heard that strength training can increase your running performance. I want to lift weights but I don't want to get bulky just toned. Does anyone know a good strength training workout??

• CRAZ8 Amateur 23 posts since
    Dec 12, 2010
    1. Dec 13, 2010 8:46 PM (in response to chillc)
    Re: Strength training!!!!

My wife had the same concerns about getting too bulky.  Our trainer pointed out that if that occurs, just scale back your training to lose that bulk.  He also added that its really hard to bulk up a lot with a 1 hour session, 3 times a week.  This amount of time works great for us.

Our trainer has us do a bunch of various exercises with dumb bells, machines, on the floor etc to keep us interested and our muscles working.  The best single exercise for running is simple calf raises - no-one works out their calves!

Jan 2011 - Bermuda International Race Weekend 10K - 1:22:22

• fit4lifenc Expert 40 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010
    2. Dec 13, 2010 10:18 PM (in response to chillc)

If you do a lot of running and dont consume a lot of calories, above your BMR its gonna be hard to get bulky lifting. Usually to get bulky you will eat a lot more calories than you burn in a day and your protein intake will have to be high as well. Your not gonna lift and build huge muscles overnight. I always chuckle when people say they are worried about getting bulky because it takes a lot of hard work and proper nutrition to put on muscle mass. Some people bulk up easier than others but it wont happen overnight.

Keep your weight low and in the high rep range 12-15 if your not worried about bulking up.

But toning is really more about nutrition and cardio. In order to be tone you have to eat right. Burning the fat off your body will make you tone. The thing is if you have little muscle under that fat your physique is not gonna look that impressive.

As far as strength training. Cant go wrong with the big 3:

bench press, squats, deadlifts.

Also Pull ups, push ups, dips

Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated-

<br>

Gladiator 5k Obstacle Race Cary, NC 63 out of 776 (10 percentile)

http://www.runtheeast.com/results/2011/Gladiator5KOverallResults.htm

Run for the Roses Raleigh, NC 123 out of 473 (26 percentile)

http://results.active.com/pages/displayNonGru.jsp?rsID=105706

<br>

• 1 mile track run PR 5:58
    • Max Bench 350 lbs http://youtu.be/RR-yNmt8RdU
    • Body weight bench 25 Reps
    • 20 dead hang pull ups no kipping crap
    • 80 pushups
    • @ 5"11 195 lbs 37 y/o

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Dec 14, 2010 3:46 PM (in response to chillc)

Lift less weight and more reps, I have 5 & 10 lbs weight at home and use them for back & biceps, Chest & triceps and lunges. the day I'm not running I do lunges and then one day I do back and biceps and the other I do chest and triceps.

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    4. Jan 7, 2014 6:16 AM (in response to chillc)

Cross training is great for runners, and is a great way to get toned instead of bulky.  I'm a woman as well, and I hate it when I start look too beefy, if that makes sense.  So, I really try to stick to low weights, body resistance workouts, and cardio classes. 

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!
  • DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Dec 14, 2010 5:16 PM (in response to chillc)

No one ever got bulky by accident; it won't happen to you. Your maximal strength gains will occurr in the 8 to 12 rep range. Do 2 sets. Focus on compound movements: those that use 2 or more joints. Deadlifts/squats, bench press, military press, pull ups/chins/rows, and, yes, heel raises. Don't neglect your core: it will give you the most benefit. These are abs, obliques, and spinal erectors.

• RunningErika Expert 39 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    6. Dec 15, 2010 10:35 AM (in response to chillc)

I have a personal trainer, and she really loves that I run. But she also really encourages me to weight train. I started out lifting 5-10lb weights. But now I'm up to 12-20lb weights. I definitely don't have any "bulk" and I am toning up nicely. I have been working out with weights for a year now and lift every other day when CTing.

Erika

www.running5kraces.com

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Dec 15, 2010 10:46 AM (in response to chillc)

chillc wrote:

I want to lift weights but I don't want to get bulky just toned.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting bulky, it takes a lot of time, careful eating and focused workouts to get a body builder type body. And, although strength training will tone your muscles, the most important component is diet -- staying away from processed foods (white flour, white or brown sugar, high fructose corn syrup, etc...) while watching your intake of bad fats is a fantastic start.

As far as what do do, there are a ton of different theories out there. Personally, I like compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, military presses, rows, etc...) as they involve more muscle groups than just about anything on the machines. Those also work primarily the large muscle groups and not the small twitch muscles that things like stability balls are so good for. I guess it kinda depends on your personally philosophy and who you choose to listen to but, in the end, suffice to say that you'll be much better off than your are now whichever path you choose.

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• LemonaidLucy Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 19, 2010
    9. Dec 16, 2010 7:36 AM (in response to flamomof3)

I was going to say just that!

Lucie

PB 5k (training): 25:32, PB 10K (training): 56:05, PB 20k: 1:55:13, PB half marathon: 2:01:32  

4/2/2011 Prague International Half Marathon 2:03:37

6/04/2011 Silva Nortica Trail Half Marathon 2:14:54

6/18/2011 Olomouc Half Marathon

8/14/2011 Zebrak 25K

Not faster, but farther. Not catch up, but hunt down.

• fit4lifenc Expert 40 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010
    10. Dec 16, 2010 8:20 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

chillc

Dont be afraid to build some muscle. You need muscle so when the fat comes off you will look tone not like a skinny-fat person.

Your not gonna lift and get the bodybuilder look overnight, that takes A LOT of hard work, time, and proper nutrition.

Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated-

<br>

Gladiator 5k Obstacle Race Cary, NC 63 out of 776 (10 percentile)

http://www.runtheeast.com/results/2011/Gladiator5KOverallResults.htm

Run for the Roses Raleigh, NC 123 out of 473 (26 percentile)

http://results.active.com/pages/displayNonGru.jsp?rsID=105706

<br>

• 1 mile track run PR 5:58
    • Max Bench 350 lbs http://youtu.be/RR-yNmt8RdU
    • Body weight bench 25 Reps
    • 20 dead hang pull ups no kipping crap
    • 80 pushups
    • @ 5"11 195 lbs 37 y/o

• JNLeDuc Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009
    11. Dec 16, 2010 12:34 PM (in response to chillc)

Strength Training for Triathletes by Patrick Hagerman. 

Provides specific excercises to target weak areas as well as how to design your plan.  excercises include free weights, bands, swiss ball, and machines.  Bumped my distance and speed significantly.  Highly recommend.

• cdubbs46 Amateur 18 posts since
    Mar 27, 2010
    12. Dec 24, 2010 6:26 PM (in response to JNLeDuc)

I guarantee you WILL NOT GET BULKY.  Women don't have the testosterone that creates the bulkiness. I hear women who say that is why they don't strength train.  It is an unfounded concern.  I just hate weight training because I find it boring but I know I need it.

Iowa City River Run 5K

Hudson Pump and Run 5K

Torchlight 5K Minneapolis, MN

Park to Park 5K Waterloo, IA

Best Dam Run 8K Waverly, IA

Sullivan Bros 10K Waterloo, IA

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...