Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2617 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2011 12:22 PM by PaulSerra
CalebHanson Rookie 2 posts since
May 21, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 17, 2010 10:37 AM

Winter running - Freezing Mr. Winky!

This is for the guys out there who run year round in winter climates. I need gear advice so that my junk doesn't freeze and snap off.

I live in Colorado, and this is my first year of running through the winter here. I went for a run the other night, and it was about 25 degrees and windy. I think the wind was what did it, but by about mile 5, I thought my pecker was going to have frostbite. It was not comfortable or fun, and I'm not looking to repeat this. I was wearing Hot Chilis base layer, under armor compression shorts and then addidas pants on top.

I've looked to see if there's some kind of fleece sausage-sleeve or junk-glove out there, and I've not seen this addressed anywhere. Am I the only one who's had this problem? Any advice on combating "frozen winky syndrome"?

• Scrufffy Legend 252 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010
    1. Dec 17, 2010 9:12 PM (in response to CalebHanson)
    Re: Winter running - Freezing Mr. Winky!

I had one bout of pink pecker freeze. (Didn't actually freeze, but it was uncomfortable after about 20 min's running into a cold wind.) .  Nothing permanent, but I was a bit scared. I changed to a pair of undies I found in a ski shop. The tag is gone so I don't know who made them, but they are not the stretch thin poly type but are synthetic and about the thickness of a pair of cotton shorts with two layers in front and under.  Wish I could tell you more about them. Got then two years ago near Park City Ut.

Wiffie suggests finding some microfiber cloth and gluing a flap of it to the front of the undies with fabric glue. Wear it under the base layer.  She says you can find it in various thicknesses at a good fabric store.

Good luck man.

Spa5k, 11/04/10, 30:58 2nd place senior

Peace and Love 5k 3/16/11 29:05 1st place senior

Toad Suck Daze 5k 30 April 11, 28:29 1st place age group

2011 Spa 5k 11/19/11 25:55 1st place senior Personal Best, 2nd career

Looking for a 10 k to run and if that goes well, a HM next spring

A body at rest tends to stay .... on the couch!

Jack

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    2. Dec 18, 2010 8:44 AM (in response to CalebHanson)

Wind briefs -- I just bought two pair from runningwarehouse.com.  There is a wind panel in front.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    3. Dec 25, 2010 4:04 PM (in response to CalebHanson)

Wind briefs definitely help.  There is a new product out called the ThermaJock that is just what you described, a fleece sleeve for your tender parts.  I got a sample recently from the manufacturer for testing.  Watch my website, How 2 Run Fast, for a review in the next few weeks.

http://thermajock.com/

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

• Grnfsh Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 4, 2010
    4. Jan 9, 2011 5:42 AM (in response to CalebHanson)

Yes running in the wind will definitly make the boys a little colder than usual. I rarely run in pants, even in the winter I prefer basketball shorts. But I will wear regular running shorts undernearth. This provides an additional layer of warmth for the boys.

One thing that may work on windy days is stuffing a sock in your jock. Seriously, it would add an addtional layer of insulation and the women driving by would be impresses as well.

• 3Active Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 12, 2011
    5. Jan 13, 2011 5:46 AM (in response to CalebHanson)

While I certainly can't relate to Mr. Winky freezing, I do know that Craft makes a great windstopper brief for men.  I have heard great things about these, they have a couple of kinds that you might want to google.

1900255 Zero extreme WS Gunde

197662 Zero WS Gunde Short

I sell Craft product in my store, although I don't carry these briefs but I looked them up in my Craft Catalog.  Stay Warm!!

Melanie from Minneapolis

Currently training for pregnancy

Owner of Three Active

http://www.threeactive.com

If you can dream it, you can do it. - Walt Disney

• PaulSerra Amateur 9 posts since
    Jan 31, 2011
    6. Jan 31, 2011 12:22 PM (in response to CalebHanson)

I've heard underarmour has some great gear for outdoor running in the cold. I would do a google search, i'm sure there are many people facing the same problem.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points