Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2025 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2010 7:39 PM by Martin Spierings
Tikijenn Amateur 15 posts since
Jun 6, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 11, 2010 10:53 AM

Benefits of a team

What would the benefit of starting or joining a local triathlon team be?  I know a handful of people in my local area that perform in triathlons and thought it would be good to get us all together as a "team".  First, how would I go about doing this?  Do we need sponsors and how would I get companies to sponsor us?  What would be the benefit to the company sponsoring?  Advertising?  I guess a benefit for the athletes would be to have others to hold you accountable and for group training opportunities.  I would like some ideas from others that have done this themselves.  Thanks.

Jennifer Campbell

ThomastonTriathletes.ning.com

• DSchiemel Pro 45 posts since
    Nov 24, 2008
    1. Jan 11, 2010 12:11 PM (in response to Tikijenn)
    Re: Benefits of a team

If I was attempting to start up a team, I would first get a core group of people who are very serious about working out on a regular basis as a group. Even if the core is only three people that can be enough of a solid foundation to develop a larger team. My 5th grade school teacher will be proud I am going to use this but (KISS) Keep it Simple Silly (she said stupid but this is a safer word) do not worry about the sponsors right away, they will come after you get some people to join your group. Create a message board or blog, some easy way to communicate work out schedules, routines, meeting places on line where everyone can easily access it. Once, the core is established you can potentially go to your local gym (if you all work out there) and tell them what you are interested in doing, maybe they can throw some personal training your way, or discounted memberships if you start bringing in additional members. Google other tri teams website's to get a feel of their layout and how they might go about networking/working out together. Then comes the more fun stuff, team name, you can make up some fairly cheap team shirts, stuff that says hey we workout together as a team (this can grab some people's attention at your local gym/pool/race) put your website url on it!!! this way people can find you, use word of mouth to spread the team name, some gym's have message boards for posting ad's (this is a good spot to put info to recruit newbies!). Over time the team will grow or you can eventually merge with a larger team in your area with greater resources.

I joined a tri team this winter season and so far it has helped tremendously to meet with people who have similar issues or are more knowledgeable on the matter (problem). Its great to feel like part of something bigger, and to be part of team. In various classes I feel like I feed off the performance of others around me, which pushes me to work harder.

• Martin Spierings Amateur 19 posts since
    Jun 16, 2008
    3. Dec 17, 2010 7:39 PM (in response to Tikijenn)
    Re: Benefits of a team

Jenn,

I started a team from scratch a couple of years ago and it has been a huge success. Again, started with a blog, then a facebook page and it all went from there. Wasn't easy and is a lot of work but ultimately very rewarding. Good luck. Check out www.scendurance.com. I did have a running store help at the start then introduced a membership fee a bit later.

www.tricoachmartin.com

blogspot.tricoachmartin.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points