Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2277 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2010 8:08 PM by MamaBear56 RSS
MamaBear56 Pro 168 posts since
Dec 16, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 16, 2010 8:19 PM

Calling All Penguins

I just found this site and am so excited about it.  I am 53 years old and have never been an athlete but have often thought I'd like to be a runner.  Now I am at least 50 lbs overwieght and actively working at losing weight.  My goals are to lose the excess weight and be more fit so I can better enjoy my love of hiking and pack-backing.  I have a co-worker who is an avid runner and has encouraged me to start running, as I said something I've often thought I'd like to.  She has a training schedule she has given me to complete a half marathon on Feb. 26, 2011 (Sno-Joke) at Seely Lake, MT.  I also want to complete a full marathon in 2011.  Lastly I'd like to get to where I can do some back-country trail running, armed with bear spray of course.  Several other co-workers are also planning to run in the Sno-Run.

RIght now I can't even jog (very slowly) a full mile but after 3 1/2 weeks on the schedule I am getting better and can already feel the difference.  I am concerned about embrassing myself at the 1/2 marathon, especially since it is approaching so rapidly, but my co-worker keeps reminding me it is not about the speed, it's about being out there.

So far I have only been able to walk/jog on the treadmill because of snow and ice.  I would like to get outside soon though as I know it will be harder than the treadmill but more fun.  I have some discomfort in my knees and ankles but nothing that is unbearable.  I do keep my incline at 3%-5% most of the time to reduce the impact to my joints.

I am surprised how much I am enjoying the work outs so far and how good I feel afterwards.  I have struggled with the self discipline needed to stick to any regular program/routine in the past.  Now I am looking forward to my work out days, which are 4 days a week of jogging/running.  I am also going to start incorporating some core strength exercises into my non-running days.

I have the book "Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer" by David A. Whitsett, Forrest A. Dolgener, and Tanjala Mabon Kole which I have read and am going to start re-reading.  It is so uplifting and inspirational.  Helps me believe really can complete a marathon.

I'd love to keep in touch with others that are on or have been on a path/journey similar to what I am on so we can share info, tips, and encouragment.

I'm also interested in what others might know about the devices that measure your heart rate and about using heart rate as a training guide.  In my last work out I incorporated a few 0.1 mile sprints (well they were sprints for me at 6 miles per hour).  I'd like to know if this is a good practice and of any other practices that might help be build up my endurance and increase my speed.

Again, I'm really looking forward to learning from and being inspired by this site.  I love the Penguin name!

I'm not sure how to make sure these ramblings end up on the "Calling All Penguins" tread so please give any tips you have on making sure I'm posting this in the correct place.

Happy trails.

Betty a.k.a. MamaBear56

Started running/walking program December 1, 2010

2/26/2011 Snow Joke HM 3:30:14

3/26/2011 Missoula Make A Wish Foundation 5k 38:00

4/17/2011 Rocky Mountain Bank Summit Classic 10K 1:22:41

5/21/11 - West Valley School 5K 46:00??? (I know I can do better)

5/22/11 - Weight Watchers 5K Walk (Completed with some jogging, untimed)

8/6/11 - Roodell Run 10K 1:18:49

10/2/11 - Fernie, BC HM 3:25:06

"Whether you think can or think you can't...you are correct." Henry Ford

"If you limit what you are willing to do, you limit what you can do." Anonymous

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    1. Jan 7, 2014 6:18 AM (in response to MamaBear56)
    Re: Calling All Penguins

Congrats on making the decision to start running!  And, trust me, the first few weeks are always the biggest hurdle.  Its great that you are starting out with a run/walk method, since this is the best way for newbies to build endurance and improve their running skills without getting hurt.  Runpals has a great article about getting started with a run/walk method, and then an awesome 14-week running schedule to get you ready for your first half-marathon!  And, don't worry about embarassing yourself!!  You will see people from all walks of life, at every possible skill level on the race route with you.  And, there's so much comradie at races - many times I've found myself really struggling during a race, only to have a fellow runner and complete stranger motivate me to keep going.  Its a really awesome experience!!  I'm very excited for you.

The biggest thing to remember is running is like any sport - something you have to be willing to put in the time in order to improve.  So, patience & dedication are sooo important!  Give your body the chance to really get into the sport, and you will start enjoying your runs instead of wanting to quit after a few days.

Good Luck & Happy Running!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!
  • thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    2. Dec 19, 2010 5:03 PM (in response to MamaBear56)
    Re: Calling All Penguins

Congrats for getting out there.   It is a wonderful lifestyle.   A few notes.

First, while running is a great compliment to nutrition for weight loss, nutrition must be your primary focus.  You won't run enough miles for running to give you any help in weight loss, at least not for now. 

Second, the  short sprints are a good idea.  They help increase your cardiovascular system.

Heart rate training is a good way to go and can be implimented at almost any level.  It keeps you from running too fast, especially in the beginning.  And as your fitness improves, your pace will get faster as your heart rate remains the same.  If you are looking for a good device, I can suggest the Garmin Forerunner 305.  This is pretty much the current go to device.  There are others, but the 305 is the best bang for the buck. 

Good luck on your training. We look forward to hearing about your progress.  If you have questions, post them.  There are many who frequent these forums with wonderful advice. 

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points