Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

920097 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow Go to original post 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 ... 297 Previous Next
  • FunRunSue Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 17, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,185. Dec 20, 2010 8:21 AM (in response to SloMo2)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

SloMo2 - I am running the Cellcom 1/2 in Green Bay.  The end of the run goes thru Lambeau Field - kind of cool for an old Packer fan like me!  I live in the Green Bay area, and have run the Cellcom 5K.  My first 1/2 was the Fox Cities Half in 2009.  I was supposed to run the Fall 50 with a relay team this last fall, but we lost a member at the last minute and couldn't find a replacement, and the rest of us hadn't trained enough to pick up her legs on top of ours so we backed out.  My goal is to have one big run a year, and do the Bellin.  That's enough organized running for me - the rest is me and the road and my ipod, taking out work frustrations!

emmy - great news on your 10 mile run.  Those long runs take a lot of mental preparation, don't they?  For me, running is almost more mental than physical.  Once I get out there, all is well (after the first mile or two - I share your pain in those first couple of miles).

I ran 5 yesterday in the cold - sun was out though, and temps were around 18.  Not bad for Wisconsin, and the roads and sidewalks were fairly clean from our blizzard a week and a half ago.  I wore winter underarmor, a Sacony cover and a fleece vest, along with Reebok tights and wool socks, a hat and gloves.  Perfect - wasn't too cold, and I felt prett good overall.  Way better than my last treadmill run.  Did I mention I hate the treadmill?

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    1,186. Dec 20, 2010 8:49 AM (in response to Sunrunner719)

Sunrunner:  Congratulations on finishing C25K and on not letting your fears get the upper hand.  Your time fell by over two minutes from your first 5K to your second, so keep doing what you're doing.  Regarding running in the rain, I carry a handkerchief or several tissues.  I have worn a cap, but sometimes I get too hot.

runningangel:  I'm glad my answer on the Garmin helped.  Congratulations on finishing the first week of C25K.  I would stay on the schedule, regardless of how you feel.  It starts you slowly to build the base that you will need in the last weeks, so don't push it too much.  Hard to do, I know.

emmaleigh:  Congratulations on your 10-miler.  If I had thought about running 10 miles in 16 degree weather with a wind, it would have taken me about two seconds to change my mind and head for the gym.  I know how hard it is to not put on that top layer of clothes.  I read that you should dress for a run as though the temperature is 10 degrees higher than actual.  Depending on the person's metabolism, maybe 20 degrees is more realistic for some.  Maybe a mouth/nose covering for the wind?

MamaBear:  Regarding three vs. four days of running per week, listen to your body and, if you aren't recovering enough between runs, cut back to three days and maybe lengthen the longest run of the week, with one or two days of light to moderate cross training and walking.  Trying to run through fatigue just to keep to a training plan without enough recovery time leads to injuries or illness that could really set you back.  It's your call; you know how your body will react.  PS:  I thought we had some severe winter weather in Chicago.  I can't imagine running outside in Montana now.

JoAnn:  HM training programs can be great for your training and confidence in that you'll be running with, learning from and encouraging other runners.  I think it would have helped me.  Just be sure you really want to do two HMs within four weeks.

buggedout:  Two weeks down, seven to go and you are well on your way.  Lots drop out after the first or second weeks, so you are already ahead of them.  Two more weeks and you will have passed the halfway point.  If you stay with it and follow the plan, you will find that even the longer sessions get easier because you've build up the base and your confidence in the first few weeks.  You have already kicked your fears to the curb.  Don't look back.  Also, hang on to your running store.  Ask them about socks too.  Good ones like Thorlo aren't cheap, but they are worth it .  PS:  Have you chosen and signed up for your first 5K?

Arthur:  Here in Chicago we won't see 40 degrees until about April, unless we get an unexpected warmup sooner.  We may hit 30 by midweek, followed by more snow just before Christmas.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• betsyblythe Pro 84 posts since
    May 8, 2008
    1,187. Dec 20, 2010 9:04 AM (in response to emmaleigh47)

After a 2 week hiatus as a result of bronchitis & common cold, I am ready to be back at it.  Can't remember the last time I was that sick!  I was sure it was pneumonia and that I would surely die, but here I am!  Still have a bit of lung clearing to go through so will be in the house on the treadmill for a bit....

Just couldn't bring myself to read the threads during the misery, so welcome to all the new posters!!!  So glad to have all of you here keeping me motivated!

WAY TO GO emmaleigh47 what an awesome accomplishment!!!  As for the blisters....are you sure your shoes are properly fitted???  If you haven't tried the smart wool running socks, they are a bit spendy, but I never seem to get blisters from them.  I get an occasional blister if I wear loose socks from the slippage, but other than that - never - and I wear orthotics for my high arches.  You definitely deserve kudos for that hard work!!! 

Wishing all a very happy, healthy, and motivated Holiday season!!!

Betsy

Betts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Virtual St. Patrick's Day Run - Idaho March 17 - missed/injured

Beat the Doc Canine Run 5k in Eagle Island State Park  March 26 - missed/injured

Twilight 5k in Lewiston/Clarkston April 8.- Complete- 45  min

Komen Race For The Cure - Boise May 7- Complete 30 min

See Jane Run Half Marathon Boise June 18 

Fit for Life on   Boise July 9  

Dirty Dash 10k Boise August 27

Payette Lake Run McCall Sept 4

St Lukes Womens Celebration 5k Boise September 24

City of Trees Half Marathon Boise October 9

• coolbikermom Legend 418 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    1,188. Dec 20, 2010 9:12 AM (in response to emmaleigh47)

emmaleigh47 wrote:

Question to the group: Who has expert advice on blisters? I never had any blisters until one day when I ran in my shoes without the insoles because one of my friends was convinced that I didnt need them. This led to a huge nasty blister on the inside of my L foot at about the 2nd week in November. This has healed... had gotten worse, has healed. Two weeks ago I got a blister below the original blister... and this week I have a blister above the original blister. Today for the run I put a Dr. Scholls blister protector pad on ... plus a piece of moleskin. During the run it didnt hurt... now after the run I have two huge fluid filled blister one above and one below the original one... sorry for all the detail, but this is getting frustrating!

emmaleigh - when you said you ran without the insoles in your shoes, do you have specialty ones? or just the ones that come with the running shoes? I'd consider putting them back in unless they were causing you problems in the first place. You now have space where you didn't before, so either lace up your shoes a bit tighter, or get some thicker socks. Make sure you are not running in all cotton socks, get some that are especially good for running. I second the Thorlo socks nomination, I have several pair of them and I love them. Now that it's colder, I'm using some wool socks that are working very well too, these are DarnTough brand and I can't say enough good about them. It's really in your best interest to not skimp on good socks, that can make all the difference in a comfortable run and an uncomfortable one for your feet.

C25k dropout

Rock the Parkway 5k 3/27/10  37:40.6

Mother's Day 5k  5/9/10  33:19

Walk/Run for Isaiah 9/18/10 4.4k 37:26

Harvest Moon 10k 10/23/10  1:08.50

Great Santa 5k 12/5/10 33:22

Carlsbad half marathon 1/23/11

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." ~Albert Einstein

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    1,189. Dec 20, 2010 10:37 AM (in response to FunRunSue)

FunRunSue - I hate the treadmill also!!  I would much rather run outside.  This morning at 6 I ran 2.8 in 15 degrees.  For anybody looking for cold gear - Sears has a sale this week on Nordic Trac medium warmth cold weather tights and mock turtle necks. I purchase one of each and wore them this morning.  I wore the Nordic Trac set, a Nike crew neck fleece, a pair of Under Armor socks, a pair of wool/acrylic socks, a lined hoodie, fleece headband and fleece gloves.  And I was at the perfect temperature.  I could have gone farther but I ran out of time and had to get ready for work.  I had intended to buy a small since it's only men's but they didn't have any.  The medium tights fit well, I am 5'3" and about 145 pounds.  The shirt is kind of big, but who cares?  I think $25.00 out the door for cold gear is a STEAL!!  I am thinking about getting another set.

Willwrite4chocolate - My friend, do the PT.  I don't know if you remember one of my early posts but I had ITBS really bad, so bad I could hardly walk.  Three PT sessions, I do the exercises on non run days and I am pain free.  It's really worth it.

Buggedout - Welcome!  You are at a wonderful point in your life to make the change and your whole future will be brighter!  Congratulations on that first step, cause like someone else posted earlier, the first one is the hardest.  Just keep plugging these next few weeks and before you know it the run days won't come fast enough for you.

Congrats on the 10 mile run Emmy!  How awesome you are!

To everyone else, keep waddling.  And keep smiling.

Melinda

• Sunrunner719 Amateur 35 posts since
    Nov 8, 2010
    1,190. Dec 20, 2010 1:21 PM (in response to SteveBikeRun)

Well I actually got my run in today. Still 4.08 miles in an hour and 6 minutes. At least I didnt lose ground. Going to stick with 4 miles for this week and next week try to step it up to 4.5. Hope every one is having a good day. Im offically off work till the begining of the new year!! Hooooraaaaay!!!

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be devoured by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.

definition of running: To move swiftly on foot so that both feet leave the ground during each stride.

9/18/10 Graduate C25k

10/2/10 Run For Courage 5k time 47.18

11/6/10 Run for Safe Haven 5k  time 45.00

2/12/11 Valentine Run 2011 4 miles 58:10

• willwrite4chocolate Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 1, 2010
    1,191. Dec 20, 2010 2:11 PM (in response to Sunrunner719)

I'm having trouble keeping track of who's done what, but congrats on whoever did 10 miles. WOW! Emmaleigh, I think.

And congrats to everyone who's gone running out in the cold.

And way to go to the C25K folks in the early weeks. I remember the thrill well. Keep going it's a kick!

And halleuiah for a sale at Sears on warm weather wear.

And whoever asked whether to do the underground race, I'd do it in a heartbeat and line up at the very back just to be sure not to get knocked down.

And I second or third what folks have said about buying good socks. I'm partial to the Thorlo ones.

Actually did my PT exercises a few times now. Can't say anything is better, but I have to give it time.

Ran today OUTSIDE!!! with Mr. Dawg. Did 3.05 miles according to mapmyrun. We had a heatwave. It was 28 with a windchill of 20 so I took advantage of it and the roads are mostly clear. That seems to be my mental bottom line. If the roads are clear, I might go out in the very bitter cold, but the thought of slipping and falling on ice or snow just scares the daylights out of me.

WHEW! We are some chatty penguins!

Happy waddling everyone.

~ Nita

• Slow Running Pro 66 posts since
    Apr 18, 2010
    1,192. Dec 20, 2010 2:47 PM (in response to QueenKitty)

I am glad to hear that Sears is having a sale.  I just stopped in at Hansons and their mock tutle necks were $65.  I'm going to have to stop in at Sears.  Congrat's on the 10 miles Emmaleigh!  Great job on all the miles run this week!  Today I ran 5.75 miles in the ice and snow.  What a mess!  Thank goodness for the yaktraks and the thurmal headband.  I had a hard time making myself get out there but finally just kicked my butt out there and am glad I did.  My time was about 8 minutes off but I tackled some large mounds and sheets of ice so I think I did really well.  Tomorrow I will try a new route and hope the sidewalks are clearer them my local walkways. I get to try on my new cold weather head wear and some cheep cotton running gloves I found.  I am going to change my cotton long sleeve running shirt for a long sleeve tech shirt.  My cotton shirt was totally wet when I got home as was the inside of my cold weather jacket. I never felt hot but was in a cold sweat when I finished.  I walked my 3/4 mile home with a coffee and felt comfortable but when I took off my jacket it was apperant that I was soaked throughout.  It was only 22 degrees with a wind chill of 18.  I think its menopause hitting.  I haven't sweat this much since I was over weight!  Oh... eccept during the night when I get the dreaded night sweats!

I know someone was having problems with blisters.  I have never had them but I have asked about them and I've been told that if its not the socks its the shoe.  Shoes are made differant and having tried several brands I have had to pick shoes that fit my foot well.  I can only wear Asics structured shoe due to the high toe box.  I tried Saucones but I ended up losing toe nails because of the low riding toe box.  New balance rubbed the sides of my feet until raw and Nike hurt my instep and heel when running.  You may find the opposite when looking at shoes so comparing shoes at a running shop with a treadmill would be the best bet for finding a shoe that won't cause blistering and wearing a sock that is thick enough and well fit to your foot will help also.

• SloMo2 Expert 54 posts since
    Nov 28, 2010

FunRunSue - The half that I am thinking of doing is the Oklahoma City half on May 1st.  I probably won't decide if I am going to do it or not, until it gets closer to the date.  I have not heard of anyone on here who is thinking of doing that one, so I will keep all of you Penguins in mind if I do it.

Willwrite - I am the one who said I might do the underground run.  Again, I will wait until it gets closer to decide whether I will do it or not.

Since I am on vacation the next two weeks starting today and had not been outside to run in a long time, I thought I would start on a running plan today.  I found out that I since I have been mainly running inside on a treadmill due to cold weather, that I was a little bit out of shape for outdoor running.  But I couldn't pass up today's temps of between 45-50 degrees.  So I decided to start with 3 miles today, and have come up with a plan for the next several weeks in my quest to do another half marathon.  I plan on having three rounds of this training, and everyone let me know what you think.  I will start out by doing 3 miles, then each time I go out after that, I will increase it by one mile (i.e. 4 miles, then 5 miles, and so on, until I reach either 13 or 14 miles).  I may do this either every day, or every other day.  The first round of doing 3 to 13 miles will be walking, the second round will be a combination of walking and running/jogging, and the third round will will running/jogging only (at least if I can do it).   On the inbetween days, I will either do speed work/intervals on a treadmill, or other cross training exercises.  If I feel I am getting too tired and am running too much, then I will scale back on certain days, but still with my goal of reaching 13 miles.  Today I started with three, and tomorrow I will do four.  I hear an ice storm may be coming my way either late Thursday night or early Friday morning, so those may be my cross training days.  I have had enough experience with sports-related injuries, so I know when to scale back if my body is telling me so.  The reason I am starting out with walking only, is to acclimate myself back to doing stuff outside, and to make sure I can at least put in the distance, even if it is walking only.  The weather is crazy around here - it may be 50 degrees and sunny one day, and 20 degrees and icy/snowy the next, so that may dictate how my training goes.  I used to be a lot better about running or walking outside in the cold, but lately I have become a wimp.  But in hearing about everyone going out in bad weather, it should motivate me to do so, unless it is icy.  I draw the line at running/walking in ice.  At least snow gives you some traction, but ice does not, and I do not have those special ice shoes.

As far as what I wear outside, I just wear "regular stuff" and it seems to work for me.  I wear sweat pants, a regular long-sleeved t-shirt (usually one from a run I have participated in), my regular normal jacket, running shoes - currently New Balance, although I do like Asics, and regular socks.  I actually don't like specialty socks made for running, and I usually don't have any trouble with blisters, unless I do an extremely long run, and even then it is not so bad.  I don't like tight running pants because they don't feel good on me.  I prefer looser clothing, but that's just me.  I know extremely fast, avid runners don't like loose clothing because it creates drag and makes their time slower, but I obviously am not worried about that.  I am just relieved to finish.

• emmaleigh47 Pro 174 posts since
    Jun 24, 2010
    1,194. Dec 20, 2010 8:27 PM (in response to Donna914)

Jasmine: I would do the training program, but then again I am someone who likes to have someone with me for the long runs and someone who thrives on training programs. I guess only you will know yourself well enough to determine whether that will motivate you, or help you get going, or just be an inconvenience; but either way I look forward to hearing about your training!

MamaBear: You should consider doing at least one run (ideally your long run) outside. Where is your race again? Is it cold weather? You could join a YMCA that has an indoor track and at least that would help a bit too. Keep me updated on the training though…

Buggedout: Welcome! The right shoes are essential (and having a good store that you can go in for shoes, or whatever, and just advice is essential as well). Good for you for working your way through c25K! Let us know if you have questions, or what we can do to support you!

Suzie and others: I have newer shoes that I bought in October/November. I also only run in Baluega socks. I made the investment and bought several pairs of them. Up until I took the insoles out and did that run, I had never had so much as a blister. Its so frustrating. My working theory is that skin is just weak and thus easy to blister. It would probably heal better if I would just take more time off, but that just isn’t an option right now!

Kerry (runningangel): I am SO proud of you for finishing week one. Sounds like you will be all set for week two. It’s tempting to jump ahead, but just hold it back a bit and give your body some time to adjust to the new changes!

Funrunsue: OMG I would love to do the Fall 50! I just don’t know anyone who wants to do it, or who would tolerate a penguin. Good for you for getting out there. The Cellcom sounds awesome… I am seriously thinking about it. Does the half finish at Lambeau too? Glad to know someone else struggles for the first 2 miles. I asked an experienced runner once who said “nope I can tell in the first 5 minutes if it a good run, I don’t need to warm up” LOL… color me feeling stupid! If I decided in the first 2 miles about whether to finish a run … I would never run!

SteveBIkeRun: LOL at your description of winter Wisconsin running. I love that “I would turn around and go back inside” Sad thing is… conditions thus far have been good… well ok as good as it gets for Wisconsin.  I agree with the 20 degrees above thing… the hard part for me is that I have never done this in the winter… so I don’t know what dressing for winter should feel like. If that makes any sense at all… once I do one temperature once, I get it figured out. But I do run hot (literally). I was the ONLY person in the running group in short sleeves at 34 degrees! The best piece of clothing I have for winter running is my neck warmer. Greatest invention ever!

Coolbikermom: I have motion control insoles to support my ridiculously high arches. A friend and experienced runner suggested that maybe the insoles and the motion control shoes was overcool. So I ran one run, 4 miles without the motion control insoles and with the regular insoles from the shoes. I had such horrid arch pain I was afraid I broke my foot… so after that run I immediately put the motion control insoles back in.  So that’s the story… now I just keep blistering around the area of the initial blister. The whole thing is like 2 .5 inches long

QueenKitty: Will you share the IT band exercises. I have never had IT band problems, but after my last treadmill run my IT band is hurting… I can run through it, but when I bend over or sit down it hurts lots… could use the exercises! Good for you for finding winter gear cheap… I could imagine wearing a medium.. maybe in my next life.

Slowrunning: Im shocked by how much that I still sweat even in the winter. Get rid of your cotton! Thanks for the congrats!

This week is messed up for me. My long run is only 5 miles … it’s a scale back week before the last big mileage push on New Year’s Day. My running partner is out of town for the next 2 weeks, so it will be a struggle to stay on my game. One of my other running friends is going to help me with my long run on New Years Day which is scheduled for 12 miles. My plan is to run Wed and Fri this week and call that enough…

Have a great day – week – I love this group!

Started: July 2010 at 273#

Fox Cities 5K on 9/17: 45:19 (264#)

Shake a Tail Feather 5K on 10/16: 45:09 (254#)

Hope Run for Africa 5K on 10/23: 42:45 (248#)

Jingle Bell Run 5K on 11/6/10: 44:20 (248#)

Turkey Trot 5 mile on 11/25/10: (246#)

Miami ING Half Marathon 3:23:56

Oshkosh Half Marathon 3:16:38 (PR)

Cellcom Half Marathon in GB (horridly windy race) 3:21:56 (244#)

• runningangelinvt Pro 137 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    1,195. Dec 21, 2010 3:26 AM (in response to swswsww)

Emmaleigh47- thanks for the encouragement! I just came in from my W2D1.It is around 20 degrees with a wind chill of 12 degrees, brrrrr.  I didn't expect this workout to  feel like a struggle. I almost didn't get outside this morning because my significant other was up most of the night coughing or snoring; so I let him have the bed and I went downstairs and slept on our couch. But I went ahead and got out the door. I am glad I did because even though it felt like a struggle I do feel better. Hopefully W2D2 will go better.

Kerry

Life is too short not to waddle......

2012 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 6/10/12

Finish time- 1:38:23

Colchester Triathlon 7/29/12 (Kayak 2mi, Bike 12mi, Run 3.1mi)

Finish time- 2hrs 38min 04sec (Will never do the kayak part again!)

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Colchester Triathlon 07/31/2011 2hr 24 min (not my best ever! but I finished)

Started C25K 12/15/10

• SuzieOH Pro 68 posts since
    Apr 24, 2010
    1,196. Dec 21, 2010 3:57 AM (in response to emmaleigh47)

By the time I got some Christmas shopping done after work last night, I could not bring myself to get out in the cold - our roads are still covered with chunks of ice - which I am well aware of as I walk my two labs every morning on them.  So I did the indoor track at my local gym.  UGH.  The track itself was fine, for something that was 1/16th of a mile, but I brilliantly decided to try my orthotics in my sauconies.  HORRIBLE.....my first pair of saucony pro grids were good a year or so ago, so I tried the hurricanesthis summer because I was trying to self-medicate my overpronation - didn't like them before the orthotics and certainly don't like them after - hurt my knees, and like one of the other runners, bump up against the toes.  In fact I have a toe nail that is just about to drop and after last night I realized it was from these shoes.  The time wasn't bad, 4 miles,  50 minutes, especially considering you are turning every 10 seconds   but by the end my plantar fasciitis was terribly flared and my achilles were horribly tight.  So it is back to the Asics - which I also trained in this summer but they have more room in the toe box and can accomodate the orthotics better.

I really need to get outside though - I have a year end 5k and there is a nice hill at the beginning (which means you are coming DOWN the hill at the end) and I have to learn how to regulate my breathing in the cold.  When I wear a turtle it is too much....wondering about wearing a bandana for that initial part where your lungs are adjusting??

Akron RoadRunner HM 9/25/2010 3:15:44

Great New Year's Eve 5k  12/31/2010  39:33

Shamrock 5k 3/6/2011 35:05

Black Squirrel 5k  4/2/2011

Cincinnati Flying Pig HM May 1, 2011

Rite Aid Cleveland 10k May 15, 2011

Akron RoadRunner HM  Sept 24, 2011

• willwrite4chocolate Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 1, 2010
    1,197. Dec 21, 2010 7:28 AM (in response to Donna914)

Sorry about your difficult run, SuzieStow. As far as the cold and breathing, I haven't tried a bandana, but it might work. I have a fancy shmancy psolarEX neck gaiter with a little darth vader screen in it that's supposed to warm your breath, but it's too much unless it's really, really, really windy. I prefer just a winter (polyester/cotton) scarf tied around my neck which I can pull up over my face for the first part of the run then tuck down around my neck for the rest of the run. I also have a neck gaiter made of fleecy fabric that serves the same purpose. I pull it over my face during the beginning of the run and then push it down. It keeps my neck warm which I like, but I can adjust it. I think we all have to just try different things to see what works best for each of our individual heat needs.

I've been thinking about a New Year's run. There are two in our area - a 5K and a 4 miler. I'm waiting to see the weather forecast. If the roads stay clear, I'll probably do it. Seems like having a race to run keeps me motivate

~ Nita

• FunRunSue Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 17, 2010
    1,198. Dec 21, 2010 8:14 AM (in response to emmaleigh47)

emmaleigh47- Yes, the Cellcom 1/2 goes thru Lambeau at the end.  Neither race officially ends in the stadium - but you run thru on your last mile.  I just read your signature, and see you are training for a half in Miami!  So jealous!!!  I would love to be anywhere warm right now.  Although it's actually harder for me to run in the heat than in the cold.  Also noticed your weight loss progress.  Good for you!  It's tough to do and stay motivated.  I have struggled all my life, and generally hover in the 170-180 range if I stay off of sugar and flour.  Recently, I brought that back in my diet and it's killing me.  I'm going off again right after Christmas.  I can't bring myself to do it earlier - this is the first time in 5 years I have participated in Christmas goodies.

SteveBikeRun - thanks for the Garmin info you shared.  I really want one, but I asked for a regular garmin for the car this year.  Maybe I can get my dh to look at them for my birthday.

Queenkitty - great news on the sale at Sears.  I could use a couple more shirts for the gym.  Good to know when there is a sale going on.

Someone earlier had said something about running in the cold, and being concerned about being too warm in a turtle neck - what I do is I wear a fleece headband around my neck that I can pull up to cover my nose if it's really cold.  If I get too hot, I pull it off and wrap it around my wrist or stuff it in my pocket.  I would recommend a handkerchief of some sort for runny nose.  Mine runs like crazy in the cold and my gloves don't work so hot for this.  I am going to start bringing a bandana to wear around my other wrist for nose wiping!

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    1,199. Dec 21, 2010 9:41 AM (in response to SloMo2)

SloMo2:  I don't know your running experience or your fitness level, so please take what follows with several grains of salt.  For what my nonprofessional opinion is worth, I think your plan may be too ambitious in terms of number of number of walking/running days and increases in mileage, including your initial walking phase.  I don't agree with "I will start out by doing 3 miles, then each time I go out after that, I will increase it by one mile (i.e. 4 miles, then 5 miles, and so on, until I reach either 13 or 14 miles).  I may do this either every day, or every other day."  I think your plan to walk first to build up your endurance is good as is Phase 2 of walk/jog.  However, I also think you should be walking/running no more than three or four days per week, increasing your mileage more slowly, mixed with two days of cross-training and one or two rest days.  I increased my long run distance by either 1/2 mile per week or by one mile every two weeks, mixed with two short runs of no more than half the distance of my long run.  I always allow a day before and after my long run for rest or easy cross-training.  I do only one long run per week to allow for recovery.  My longest "long" run is 12 miles and that includes several short walk/water breaks.  Since I set up the route to go by my house every four miles, the walk break part is predictable.  It will be predictable in your HM because the water stops will be fairly evenly spaced.

I suggest that you check Jeff Galloway's website or the Runner's World site for their training plans.  I don't know the specifics of the Galloway plan, but the RW site allows you to enter several variables, including the distance for which you are training and the number of weeks until the race and it will suggest a schedule for you.  Those of you who have used Jeff's plan should chime in here.

Please don't think that I do not applaud you for your goal of a half marathon.  I'm sure that others on this site will have their own opinions and I urge you to read all of them.

Regarding shoe problems:  I am on my second pair of Saucony ProGrid stability shoes and have never had a toenail or other foot problem.  The toebox appears to be high enough for me.

My wonderful and talented wife made a matching earband and neck gaiter for me out of polar fleece.  The earband is extra wide so it covers a good part of the back of my head.  I can tuck the gaiter down inside my jacket and still have it meet the bottom of the earband.  I generally have it over my nose and mouth going into the wind and I pull it down from my nose otherwise.  I try not to have it over my nose too much because then my glasses fog up and I can't see.

Chicago had four inches of snow last night and the streets are a sloppy mess, so indoors for me today.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 ... 297 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...