Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

777268 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 ... 297 Previous Next
  • QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,200. Dec 21, 2010 12:37 PM (in response to emmaleigh47)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Emmaleigh47 - I'll gladly give you my list of PT exercises.  You seem to be in the early IT band problems.  Hopefully these exercises can prevent real pain and injury.

1.  Lie flat on your back on the floor, legs straight out, arms by your sides.  Lift one leg with foot flexed off the floor about 6 inches.  Lower to floor.  Start with repeating till tired and work on increasing number of reps by five, to 100.  Repeat sequence with other leg.

2.  Stand sideways on a step facing the rail and holding on for balance.  Let outside leg hang off the step and keeping the leg straight use your hip to raise the leg and lower till your foot is below the height of the stair you are standing on.  Repeat about 30 times each leg, working up to 50.

3.  Standing, wrap the injured leg behind and directly next to, the standing leg.  Hang both arms down toward the floor on the injured leg side and slowly stretch down.  This is an IT band stretch.  Repeat on other side.

4.  Lay on your side on the floor, arm bent to hold up your head.  Draw your feet up about 6 inches away from your bottom.  Lift top bent leg about 6 inches up, lower 4 inches down.  Repeat 50 reps, both legs, 2 sets each.  These are called clamshells.

5.  Laying on your side as above, straighten top leg and angle slightly behind you.  Lift 6 inches, lower 4 inches, 50 reps, 2 sets each leg.

I do these exercises every day I don't run.  I also found elevation and ice after a run to work wonders.  Please let me know if these help you as much as they have helped me.

Melinda

• MamaBear56 Pro 168 posts since
    Dec 16, 2010
    1,201. Dec 21, 2010 2:58 PM (in response to Donna914)

Everyone - thanks so much for the info you share on this site.  What a great resourceyou are for beginners/novices like me.

Did 5 miles on the treadmill on Sunday, which took me 78 minutes. It felt really good.  Was able to jog 1.5 miles before I had to walk.   My husband, who is very active, tells me our treadmill is off and that 3.7 mph is really 4 mph...I'd like to believe him but we'll see.  Week 4 of my training program started for me today and for the first time I did it outside.  Only 3 miles and I forgot to time it.  Was in yak-tracks because of snow and some ice.  Was certainly more difficult than on the treadmill but sun was shining on the snow and the fresh air was great.  Actually got up to 26 degrees here in NW MT today so had to take advantage of the heat wave and sunshine.

Thanks again for advice, counsel, and encouragement.

Betty a.k.a. MamaBear56

Started running/walking program December 1, 2010

2/26/2011 Snow Joke HM 3:30:14

3/26/2011 Missoula Make A Wish Foundation 5k 38:00

4/17/2011 Rocky Mountain Bank Summit Classic 10K 1:22:41

5/21/11 - West Valley School 5K 46:00??? (I know I can do better)

5/22/11 - Weight Watchers 5K Walk (Completed with some jogging, untimed)

8/6/11 - Roodell Run 10K 1:18:49

10/2/11 - Fernie, BC HM 3:25:06

"Whether you think can or think you can't...you are correct." Henry Ford

"If you limit what you are willing to do, you limit what you can do." Anonymous

• coolbikermom Legend 418 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    1,202. Dec 21, 2010 8:35 PM (in response to MamaBear56)

Ok, first? I am weird. It's easier for me to run outside than it is on the treadmill, even at an incline.

Second, Steve? I agree with you on your position with adding distance safely. I think its too much too soon. Can one do that? Sure! But the injuries are far too great to outweigh the benefits of potentially getting it done as planned. Maybe it's just because I'm older and taking things a little more gingerly so as to not injure myself, I don't know. Still, this is a life long goal, not a short term one. Stay injury free from the start, and it'll make your eventual goal a lot easier to achieve.

Baby steps, remember. We didn't start running at 9 months old, right?

C25k dropout

Rock the Parkway 5k 3/27/10  37:40.6

Mother's Day 5k  5/9/10  33:19

Walk/Run for Isaiah 9/18/10 4.4k 37:26

Harvest Moon 10k 10/23/10  1:08.50

Great Santa 5k 12/5/10 33:22

Carlsbad half marathon 1/23/11

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." ~Albert Einstein

• buggedout Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 18, 2010
    1,203. Dec 21, 2010 8:49 PM (in response to SteveBikeRun)

Well W3D1 went off with out a hitch (ok maybe a little knee tenderness). I think that might have been the first time I've run for three minutes straight since I was a little kid....and I did it twice.....I know thank goodness for small miracles. Got to break in the new Saucony shoes a bit, although I'm gonna have to keep going at it to get that perfect meld between my foot and the shoe.

@SteveBikeRun: Thanks for the advice about the socks. I honestly didn't even think about special running socks. Those ones that you mentioned, what are the benefits? I usually just wear plain old cotton athletic socks and they've been working alright so far. Guess I'm still green to all of this. And as far as picking out my first 5k....still TBD. There is a local running club in my area called the Youngstown Road Runners that gets together at our local park, and I know they offer a few 5k races coming up this next year. I may end up running one of those races. Although I live half way between Akron, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh....so I may check into some races in those areas as well.

@QueenKitty and EmmaLeigh: Thank you both for your kind words of welcome and motivation! It helps to know I have the support of others like you to help me keep going. I never ever thought I'd like running, but now I just can't wait to get out there and go!

W3D2 tomorrow....can't wait!!!

• SuzieOH Pro 68 posts since
    Apr 24, 2010
    1,204. Dec 22, 2010 3:53 AM (in response to SteveBikeRun)

What a fun group this is to "converse" with!

Queen Kitty - thanks for the ITB stretches!

Steve - I believe if I were in a wide Saucony I would be fine.  This particular model( Hurricane)  just runs narrow, and is a stability + shoe, so the orthotics just make a situation of squishy-toe overkill.  Unfortunately I bought these online rather than at a local store last spring- not realizing that shoes differ even within a line and I will probably not do that again, cannot beat the human input from a trained person.  My next pair of shoes that I will be breaking in starting in Jan. is both a wide and half a size up to accomodate the orthotics.  I would not hesitate to try a more neutral Saucony = loved the pro-grid Guide I started out!  And - I trained and walked a marathon in this Hurricane so it is not the end of the world to stop using it!

Morning walk here was extremely slushy, sloppy and a bit icy.   I am going to run intervals on the dreadmill tonight to see if I can get my speed up a titch before next week and then Friday do some work on the hill where my 5k will be.

Akron RoadRunner HM 9/25/2010 3:15:44

Great New Year's Eve 5k  12/31/2010  39:33

Shamrock 5k 3/6/2011 35:05

Black Squirrel 5k  4/2/2011

Cincinnati Flying Pig HM May 1, 2011

Rite Aid Cleveland 10k May 15, 2011

Akron RoadRunner HM  Sept 24, 2011

• Slow Running Pro 66 posts since
    Apr 18, 2010
    1,205. Dec 22, 2010 5:12 AM (in response to MamaBear56)

MOMABEAR56- Your HB is somewhat right.  My experience is that running a pace of say...5mph on the treadmill is much harder then running that same pace outside.  As a result, I found that running 5 miles outside will take me less time then on the treadmill  If I run in in 60minutes on the TM, will run it in 53-55 minutes outside, unless the weather conditions are bad.

• Sunrunner719 Amateur 35 posts since
    Nov 8, 2010
    1,206. Dec 22, 2010 6:33 AM (in response to coolbikermom)

@coolbikermom. I dont think your wierd at all, I would rather stab myself in the eye than run on a treadmill. I also run longer and better outside. For one thing, if I run out for 2 miles, I have no choice but to run back that 2 miles. I get so intensely bored on a treadmill. Only time it works is if I have a partner on the one next to me. Even then I have to cover up all the clocks I can see.

Happy Trails everyone

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be devoured by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.

definition of running: To move swiftly on foot so that both feet leave the ground during each stride.

9/18/10 Graduate C25k

10/2/10 Run For Courage 5k time 47.18

11/6/10 Run for Safe Haven 5k  time 45.00

2/12/11 Valentine Run 2011 4 miles 58:10

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    1,207. Dec 22, 2010 6:45 AM (in response to SuzieOH)

SuzieStow:  I have a medium-width foot, so the Saucony Hurricane XII (and the Hurricane XI before it) works well for me without any rubbing problems anywhere on my foot.  That's why there are so many shoe brands.

buggedout:  You're an Ohioan?  I grew up east of Cleveland in the Chagrin Falls area.  I moved to Chicago in the mid-70s for school and have lived northwest of the city ever since.

Regarding socks, if you're going to spend upwards of $125 on good shoes, don't skimp on socks.  I have heard great things about Thorlos from other posters on this site as well as other brands.  One of my regular running partners switched to cushioned Thorlos over the summer and she is very happy with them.  There's also a wool sock called DarnTough, which I heard about on this site.  Some running socks are cushioned in the toe and heel and less under the arch.  I am still using my general-purpose Hanes crew socks, but am about to try Thorlos.  According to their website, they come in light, medium and heavy cushioning.  I think Brooks also makes a special running sock.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• runningangelinvt Pro 137 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    1,208. Dec 22, 2010 7:02 AM (in response to Sunrunner719)

Sunrunner719- I hear you about the Treadmill (Dreadmill). I have one at home that I have used on and off for about 3-4 yrs. I prefer outside and am dreading the time and temp outside that I have to rely on my TM. But I suppose it's better than not doing anything at all. I hope all of you have a wonderful holiday this weekend.

Kerry

Life is too short not to waddle......

2012 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 6/10/12

Finish time- 1:38:23

Colchester Triathlon 7/29/12 (Kayak 2mi, Bike 12mi, Run 3.1mi)

Finish time- 2hrs 38min 04sec (Will never do the kayak part again!)

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Colchester Triathlon 07/31/2011 2hr 24 min (not my best ever! but I finished)

Started C25K 12/15/10

• happybarb Expert 74 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    1,209. Dec 22, 2010 9:45 AM (in response to runningangelinvt)

I can chime in here.....

Treadmill running is always harder for me.  Of course, mine is stuck at 1.5% incline too, with that said, it makes running outdoors seem easier.  Not that running is ever easy, outdoors or indoors, but it's an addiction for sure.

Socks, I love my Thorlos!  I think I paid 12.00/pair but they are worth it.  Warm and no blisters.

If anyone remembers back in November, November 2 actually.  I started an experiment to eliminate sugar from my diet to see if it would help lower my LDL and Total Cholesterol.  That's what my blog is all about (there's a link in my signature).  It's over now, I had my labs drawn yesterday and rec'd the results today.  My total cholesterol dropped 13% and my LDL dropped 21%.  I didn't change anything else in my diet except removing the white poison. 

Runners Prayer~
    Run by my side, live in my heartbeat
    give strength to my steps, as the cold surrounds me.
    As the wind pushes me, I know you surround me,
    As the sun warms me, as the rain cleanses me,
    I know you are touching me,
    Challenging me, loving me!
    So I give you this run
    Thank you for matching my stride~ Amen

Prayer by Maureen McNellis and Karen Schulte in Day by Day: The Notre Dame Prayerbook for Students, eds. Thomas McNally and William G. Storey (Notre Dame: Ave Maria Press, 2004), p. 71.

I started a blog to journal my way to better health..nothing professional just some rambling......

http://journeytolowermycholesterolin42days.blogspot.com

Dec 7, 2010
    1,210. Dec 22, 2010 9:57 AM (in response to happybarb)

HappyBarb- That is terrific!!! I just received results of my fasting bloodwork I had done (as an incentive for a lower payment on my health insurance through my new job). My numbers overall are "ok" I need to work a little on my A1C and the good cholesterol and my triglycerides (They were over the normal range but not by very much). You cut out all white sugar? I have taken it out of my coffee but trying to cut it out of my daily foods has been a bit of a challenge for me. For the most part I do stay away from sweets and chocolate because I know if I buy them I will cosume it all. I have been sticking to fresh fruit and veges since doing the c25k but I have realized I have to make myself aware of portion control. And with the holidays upon us, it will be hard but all I can do is try. But again, congrats on your numbers, I think that is terrific.

Kerry

2012 Events:

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Started C25K 12/15/10

Dec 7, 2010
    1,211. Dec 22, 2010 10:00 AM (in response to SteveBikeRun)

Hi everyone,

I do have one question about the c25k. Have any of you added a day to any of your weekly 3day workouts when you did this program? I am just wondering because  I have been feeling a bit antsy only doing 3 days and I would like to add another. I was thinking of doing a W1D1 on this off day. I try to do some strength training  with weights I have at home until I get back into my local gym. Any advice would be wonderful to hear about. Thanks again

Kerry

2012 Events:

2011 Events:

Started C25K 12/15/10

• happybarb Expert 74 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    1,212. Dec 22, 2010 10:21 AM (in response to runningangelinvt)

Kerry......Thank you.   An increase in your good cholesterol (HDL) is great.  Exercising will raise this number and you want it to be on the high end.  My HDL is 76 and the docs are really happy with that.  Congrats for deciding to control portions, I am definitely working on that too.

runningangelinvt, when I started running I walked on my off days, so I think that the W1D1, with the walk/run intervals would be fine, just take it easy and don't push for longer time or for speed on this day.  Just enjoy the time.  If I remember right, it's 90 second walk/60 second run..........just run at a slower pace than your other days.  (Just my 2 cents.)

Runners Prayer~
    Run by my side, live in my heartbeat
    give strength to my steps, as the cold surrounds me.
    As the wind pushes me, I know you surround me,
    As the sun warms me, as the rain cleanses me,
    I know you are touching me,
    Challenging me, loving me!
    So I give you this run
    Thank you for matching my stride~ Amen

Prayer by Maureen McNellis and Karen Schulte in Day by Day: The Notre Dame Prayerbook for Students, eds. Thomas McNally and William G. Storey (Notre Dame: Ave Maria Press, 2004), p. 71.

I started a blog to journal my way to better health..nothing professional just some rambling......

http://journeytolowermycholesterolin42days.blogspot.com

Dec 7, 2010
    1,213. Dec 22, 2010 10:26 AM (in response to happybarb)

happybarb- thanks and I do like your 2 cents. it's snowing here until the early morning hours so I want to take advantage of that when I get home tonight from work.

Kerry

2012 Events:

2011 Events:

Started C25K 12/15/10

• retiredgirl61 Pro 171 posts since
    Dec 3, 2010
    1,214. Dec 22, 2010 11:00 AM (in response to runningangelinvt)

Hi angel -- I have type II diabetes and controlling it is all about keeping your A1C low and even.  That means avoiding blood sugar spikes.  The only thing that works for me is 6 small meals per day rather than 2 or 3 big ones.  I eat my "snack" even if I don't want it.  It really works because it keeps you from getting too hungry and making bad food choices.  And sorry, I eliminated most refined sugar -- I eat 1/4 teaspoon of brown sugar on oatmeal for breakfast and about the same amount of jam on whole grain toast but not both in the same day.  Actually, I eat very few refined carbs at all -- no white food groups.  That has really helped -- my Dr. is getting ready to reduce my meds.  For snacks, I usually just drink a cup of milk (in my case soy milk) simply because it is easy to do on the go. But you could do whatever works for you -- cheese, nuts (be careful -- they're hi cal little devils), a piece of fruit.  

The thing with refined carbs is that they burn so quickly you get a blood sugar spike (which then increases your A1c) and then low blood sugar so you crave more refined carbs. It's a vicious circle.  When I first stopped eating refined carbs, I craved sweets and bread for a month or so, but that slowly goes away.  Now they don't taste particularly yummy to me.   Another thing I suspect that no one will want to hear -- I had a "runaway" appetite until I switched from coffee to tea.  It stopped immediately.  I have heard a number of explanations of why, but I am not sure any of them make sense.  I just know it worked for me.  But coffee just smells so darn good!

Good luck on your efforts -- and have fun.  If you really feel like controlling every aspect of your food intake -- you might like to read Dr. Neal Barnard's (not sure on spelling) book on controlling type II diabetes using a vegan diet.  I've followed that, more or less, for a year and it does seem to work but be sure to take vitamin B12.  I didn't know that and ended up at the Dr with weakness and a B12 deficiency.  But a vegan diet isn't for everyone and I do have to eat some fish.  However, the vegan diet alone (no exercise) dropped my fasting blood sugar readings by about 30 and, as I recall, my A1c by about 1.5  -- it wasn't enough to get me off the meds but it helped.  Running is getting me off the meds.

Keep us posted.

Retired, but not watching TV much

Started walking/running 9/2010

Folsom Turkey Trot 5 K 2010 (walked)

Valentines Day 4 mile run, 2/12/11 1:00:30

Starting triathalon training w/coach 3/1/11

Komen Sacramento Race for the Cure 5K 5/7/11 (walk with friends)

Tri for Fun Sprint 6/4/11 (2:55)

Crew for Bike Team, Race Across America 6/16-26/11 (6 days, 16 hr, 7 min)

Tri for Fun Sprint 7/9/11 (2:46)

Tri for Fun Sprint 8/7/11 (2:31)

Luna Bar Women's Tri 9/11/11 (3:17)

Golden State Sprint Tri 10/9/11 (DNF)

1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 ... 297 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...