Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2184130 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 351 352 353 354 355 ... 760 Previous Next
  • NCHulk Legend 247 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    5,280. Dec 21, 2010 3:35 PM (in response to Who922)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Excellant Job, Way to Go!!!

Arthur

"It does not get easier... you get stronger"

"Once I decided quitting wasn't an option, the rest was easy." - Michele

HARD WORK - DEDICATION!!!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5,281. Dec 21, 2010 4:11 PM (in response to Who922)

Congrats on your First Race!

• ohiodad271 Amateur 14 posts since
    Oct 13, 2010
    5,282. Dec 21, 2010 8:00 PM (in response to Wideguy)

C25K complete, thanks for all of the support, I hope I can help others.

Workout proof.

http://sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/820244?key=a82a5e091cecc4c5e40777fee1c401d74be253d3&ms=1

It seems like yesterday, I could barely run for 60 sec.  Today I felt like Forest Gump when he runs until all his leg braces come off.  But instead of leg braces, I was stripping off my cold weather gear.  About mile 2, I had to take off my gloves, hat, neck warmer, and unzip my jacket, and I swear I ran faster after I stripped down.  Now I just need to find an official 5k race to run.

I don't know what to do now, but I plan on staying at the 3 mile distance and just increasing my speed for the next month.

Good luck everyone.

Eat less, move more.

C25K Started 10/6/10

C25K Graduated 12/21/10

Lightning Bug Run 5k 5/14/11   39:25

• heartoftxlady Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 20, 2010
    5,283. Dec 22, 2010 1:01 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Thanks so much everyone for your words of encouragement, suggestions and advice!  I do have my doctor's okay to begin an exercise program...so I'm looking forward to getting started.  I'm in the process of moving from Michigan to Texas this week...and will begin walking very aoon.  I do appreciate all the comments, and find them helpful and motivating.  Some of you mentioned fibromyalgia....and I too suffer from this...as well as rheumatoid arthritis and diabetes.  I'd love to see the diabetes disappear, or at least not have to take any medication.  Thanks again and I'll keep you posted on my progress!

Blessings....

Leta aka HeartofTXLady

• ktface17 Pro 125 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    5,284. Dec 22, 2010 5:12 AM (in response to heartoftxlady)

@who - Congrats on the race!

@Ohio - WTG finishing the program!!

@heartofTX - You CAN do it!!  Find your own pace, build yourself up slowly - keep the goal in mind always but know that you may have to take unplanned detours along the way - and that's ok!! As long as you don't lose your goal, all roads lead to it!  Exericse should help your diabetes for sure!  A lot of my family have diabetes or insulin resistance....I think the doctors have told them to exersice an hour a day to help.  There are so many benefits to exersice!

As for me....I have gone to the chiropractor again and am walking much taller now.  I told him I was antsy to run again and he said that this wasn't the time to push myself.  I did ask about exercises for strengthening my hip/pelvic area so I have less chance of popping out of place again. (Thanks Rev and Hulk for that suggestion - I was to focused on the pain to think that far!)  He told me the best thing to do is to lay on my back and pull my knees into my chest and hold  - both single leg and both legs at the same time....and then said to walk.  I'm so ready to get exercising again!  I feel like I keep hurting myself in one way or another and it's keeping me from finishing!  I should have been finished already ....but I WILL get there!  I think I've gained 2 lbs this week thanks to no exercise and holiday sweets. I may have to step it back a bit but it will come.  Eye on the prize!  Get thru the holidays and game is on again!!

Katie

10/4/2010 - Began C25K...

Graduate of C25K 2/2/2011!!!!!

First 5k - May 8, 2011 WBW Mother's Day 5k COMPLETE 45:56

• Travis Colby Pro 193 posts since
    Jul 9, 2010
    5,285. Dec 22, 2010 5:33 AM (in response to Who922)

@Who922 - Congratulations on the first race, it sounds like you are definitely hooked on running.

I've tried to chime in a few times over the last week, but for some reason I kept getting error messages when I tried to post, so I'm sorry if I missed anything.  For all the newbies that have just joined the group, welcome!  You are going to find this group to be very supportive.  Good luck and good running!

11 month.jpg

-Travis C.

http://finallyairborne.blogspot.com

From 325 pounds to a marathoner in less than a year

First Marathon: 12/5/10 - 4:35:34

5K PR - 22:28

10K PR - 48:35

Half Marathon PR - 1:52:18

Marathon PR - 4:32:05

Next Race - Seattle Marathon, 6/25/11

Upcoming races:

11 Rock and Roll Marathon events in 2011

Ironman Coeur d'Alene in 2012

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    5,286. Dec 22, 2010 4:32 PM (in response to Travis Colby)

Woohoo, Week 9 Day 1 is finished.  Just 2 more runs until graduation.  Got home later than I wanted, so no chance to run on the trail.  The treadmill is in the family room, which has no heat except for a gas fireplace that we only turn on when we really need it.  But because the weather was not as cold as it has been, the room was 2 or 3 degrees warmer.  I would have never thought it would make a difference, but it sure made me sweat much more.  And like Monday, I ran too soon after eating, so had this knot in my stomach the whole time.  I figured that 45 minutes would be enough, but live and learn.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5,287. Dec 22, 2010 5:00 PM (in response to gdsmit1)

I didn't run today since I ran yesterday. I hope to do 4 miles in the morning before my husband leaves. My Garmin 305 came yesterday by UPS from Amazon.  He won't let me have until christmas

Sep 20, 2010
    5,288. Dec 22, 2010 5:06 PM (in response to flamomof3)

Flamom, I know how you feel.  My 305 came a couple days before my birthday and my wife wouldn't let me have it until my birthday.  You are going to love it.  I haven't decided which site I'm going to use for uploading my data yet.  Right now I'm using the Garmin Training Center software that comes with the 305, but I'm also uploading to both Garmin Connect and RunningAHEAD.  I like having my data available on the web, but the software lets you do other stuff that I'm not sure I'll ever use, but if I do, I want my data there already.

Greg

Upcoming races:

• Trishinator Legend 234 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010
    5,289. Dec 22, 2010 5:15 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Well, I had planned to run this morning, but it was pouring when I woke up.  Guess I can't complain - at least with all the rain, we might not have a drought next year.

On a different note - today was my target day to have achieved my goals for the year.  If you were to look back in the early days of this thread, you would see where I had set goals of where I wanted to be by my 40th birthday - which is today.  I'm definitely not at the point where I had hoped to be, but I am surprisingly ok with it.  At the beginning of the year, I was in a job I didn't like very much, a stagnant relationship that should have ended long ago, and freezing my butt off in the midwest  while dealing with major arthritis pain aggravated by the cold and humidity there.  Today, I have a job that I love, am currently enjoying being single, and living in (mostly) sunny California where I haven't had to deal with major arthritis pain in the 5 months I have been here.  Definitely not where I'd planned to be back at the beginning of the year, but a good place nonetheless.  I may not have achieved those lofty goals, but I changed my life pretty significantly instead and you just can't have it all.  I am still ending the year weighing 25lbs less than at the beginning, and I learned to love running, so I a content.  Now I'm going to focus on my personal goals for the next year since I don't have any major life changes planned - but after I go celebrate with a nice dinner with friends.

Happy running to all!

C25K Graduate - 5/22/10, Started over 1/3/12

One Hour Runner Graduate - 7/30/10

Nike + id: tjkness

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9/26/10 - 5K at the Lake Tahoe Marathon - 47:47

• yoyoteacher Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 22, 2010
    5,290. Dec 22, 2010 6:35 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Just found the forums on here, pretty excited. I started the C25K program on November 9th and just finished W6D1 this evening. I had a rough week 3 and had to repeat, but I've pushed through everything else and am so so excited! Tonight was my first run where I made it through the entire thing without side stitches and added a few extra minutes to the end of my last interval. My boyfriend frequently does this, which is hard to hear on days where I can't even get through the whole thing without cutting intervals short.

I started this at about 219 lbs, am now down to 215. Not a huge loss, but I feel like my overall health has significantly improved. I also find myself itching to run as soon as I get home. It's a great feeling!

• NCHulk Legend 247 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    5,291. Dec 22, 2010 6:49 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Hi Everybody,

Trish - Wow, Hope your dinner was excellant.

Hi Yoyo and welcome.

I did my 3 mile day in the gym again. (I really am a wus when it comes to the cold temps.) On my way to the pool I was really thinking that I should have tried to run outside.  It was about 48 degrees here in NC.  Anyway, at the pool I swam 50 laps.  The son decided that he was going to take the day off to recover from yesterday.   These kids today...

Arthur

"It does not get easier... you get stronger"

"Once I decided quitting wasn't an option, the rest was easy." - Michele

HARD WORK - DEDICATION!!!

• Bhayz Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 22, 2010
    5,292. Dec 22, 2010 6:50 PM (in response to yoyoteacher)

Good evening all!  I am just getting back to the running scene after a 3-year hiatus...  Then again I never was really part of the running scene.  After 22 years in the Air Force I'm still not good at it.  I frequently see old friends who have lost a lot of weight from running, so it must be a good thing!  I'm going to start the C25K program Monday and will keep you guys posted on how I progress.  I am planning to enter a 5K run on Jan 15.  I know I won't be ready for it, but I'd like to get a baseline on how I do and feel.  What do you guys think?

• s1eddog Amateur 35 posts since
    Sep 28, 2010
    5,293. Dec 22, 2010 7:05 PM (in response to Bhayz)

@Bhayz - go for it - no matter what your time, if you walk most of the 5K, whatever, you will still finish infinitely better than everybody who slept in on race day, and you're right, you will set a benchmark.

@gdsmit1 - Awesome - the finish line is in sight!

@ trish - Sounds like a productive year. As a one time northern Californian myself, I would love to do the Tahoe race sometime. One of my favorite places on earth (I prefer the northshore, but would glady come to the southshore for the race)

@yoyo - For me, finishing week six was the moment I transformed from a wannabe runner to a real runner - it was scary looking ahead towards that 20 minute run - but once it was in the rear-view mirror, everything else came easier. Way to go!

-Steve

What you think, you become

Age 52

Began C25K - September 27, 2010 Graduated November 25, 2010

First 5K - Thanksgiving Day Nov. 25th, 2010 Berbee Derby  Time - 36:51

Next 5K - Madison Shamrock Shuffle - March 13, 2011

C25K Graduate

BerbeeDerbyFinishTimePhotos.jpg

Artistic license alert: I photoshopped my chip time into the clock

Sep 20, 2010
    5,294. Dec 23, 2010 4:34 AM (in response to s1eddog)

Trish, happy birthday.  It is great that you have changed your life for the better like you did.  Congrats.

yoyo, welcome and congrats on finishing W6D1.  Back in September I started C25k at 217 and am down to 205, not as much as I hoped either, but like you, I feel my health has improved quite a bit.  Just keep going with it and keep us posted.

NCHulk, I'm a wimp with the cold as well.  Actually I'm ok with cold, but when either wind, rain or snow is mixed in, I bail on the outside run.  Pretty cool that your Army man son needs to recover and you just keep pushing on.

Bhayz, welcome and congrats on taking a big step towards improving your health.  But I have to warn you that running does not lead to weight loss.  When you run, you will burn about 100 calories a mile.  You can erase any calorie losses from running with a single stop at the fast food joint on the way home.  You have to change the way you eat to get any real losses in weight.  But running will improve your health.  Let us know how your first day goes.

Greg

Upcoming races:

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...