Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2263669 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 352 353 354 355 356 ... 760 Previous Next
  • flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    5,295. Dec 23, 2010 10:50 AM (in response to s1eddog)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

I have a cold and a sore throat but I still ran 3 miles even though it felt like I had weight on my chest. My next run will be on Christmas and Yes I will still run that day, I may be the only out there but that's okay

• TXmomof5 Amateur 12 posts since
    Dec 23, 2010
    5,296. Dec 23, 2010 11:03 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Hi Folks-

I've been lurking a while. I started C25K in October. I am fixing to head out on my W8D2 run. I had to repeat a few of the middle weeks (3, 4, and 5 I think) - things seem easier now. But not easy. I am 40 (part of the reason I started), weigh 245, and very slow. Monday's 28 minute run only covered 1.65 miles.    I am as surprised as anyone could be at how much I am enjoying this!

I am starting to think about what's next.  I have had some mild shin splints, easily controlled by ice and ibuprofen. They don't bother me every run. My left heel is a greater concern - I have a touch of PF, I think. I don't want to ramp up time or mileage too fast, lest I exacerbate the problem (a night splint, stretching, and icing have helped quite a bit). I do like having a set schedule and a goal, though. I am thinking about G28K next? Or perhaps I should just stick to a 30 minute run and slowly add a fourth day?

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    5,297. Dec 23, 2010 11:10 AM (in response to TXmomof5)

flamom, good job sticking to your run day.  I shifted my runs last week so this week I'll run Christmas Eve and the day after.

TXmom, congrats on your progress and welcome.  For what to do next, I'm going to stick with about 3 miles for a little bit.  I'd like to increase my speed and finish the 3 miles feeling a bit stronger.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

Dec 23, 2010
    5,298. Dec 23, 2010 2:49 PM (in response to gdsmit1)

Well I ran 1.86 in my 28 minutes. I am closing in on two miles. Feeling pretty jazzed right now.

Am I allowed to say I graduated C25K next week if I don't actually run 5K?

My daughter just ran out the door with my Droid phone for the music and GPS running app. She'll knock out 3 miles without blinking. Ah, youth. To give her her due, I was never interested in any running that involved more than one lap around the track at her age, or any age, until recently. She does it just as a weight control and general fitness thing.

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    5,299. Dec 23, 2010 3:57 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Great job Txmomof5!

I love the C25K - it really got me running. I can't imagine not running now. I have been running for about a year and a half now. I did a 5K and a 10K and now wanting to do the Triple Crown in Louisville which is a 5K in late February, a 10K in middle of March, and then a 10 miler at the end of March. There is also a half marathon/marathon at the end of April.

I started running at 260 and now I just broke into the 230s. I am pretty slow but I have been getting a little bit faster. I think losing weight is the easiest way for me to get faster.

I only run outside so winter I have to be dedicated.  I have to have cold weather gear - over 30 degrees I am fine and the dark I have reflecting lights and a flashlight.

Dec 23, 2010
    5,300. Dec 23, 2010 4:13 PM (in response to Donna914)

Yeah, I am hoping losing some weight will help me speed up, too. After all, I am carrying the equivalent of two 50 lb bags of horse feed around that I certainly don't need. That actually encourages me - "Gee think how speedy I'll be with no bags of feed on my back". Quite the mental picture.

• lovingtwins Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 23, 2010
    5,301. Dec 23, 2010 4:20 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Hi everyone!  I haven't posted much, but I am so excited and I had to share with people who understand.  I did 4.2 miles today in 55 minutes and only walked 5 of those minutes!!!  I have never done that before.  The most I had jogged before was 10 min, but today I just felt good and kept going.  Every time I got tired I would just look ahead and say, I will run to that spot, and then just kept going.   Thanks for letting me share.  I feel like yelling it to everyone I see, but that would just get me a lot of weird looks.

Lovingtwins

Events:

February 19, 2011 - Bakersfield 1/2 Marathon (2:57:56)

June 26, 2011 - Simi Valley 1/2 Marathon (2:45:00)

October 9, 2011 - City to the Sea 1/2 Marathon (2:30:42)

January 29, 2012 - Surf City 1/2 marathon (2:12:02)

• Bhayz Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 22, 2010
    5,302. Dec 23, 2010 8:23 PM (in response to gdsmit1)

Thanks gdsmit1!  You're right about the weight loss.  It will definitely take a change in diet.  But it will also require exercise...something that's not in my daily regime.  I stated I would begin my C25K on Monday but I got a little anxious and started today.  I downloaded the C25K app for my droid and couldn't wait to use it.  It really helped!  I didn't feel tired after the run and I can't wait until Saturday to do it again.  I feel really good about it this program!

Dec 14, 2007
    5,303. Dec 24, 2010 5:21 AM (in response to lovingtwins)

Great job running 4.5 in 55 and Congrats to all who started running this week!

Sep 20, 2010
    5,304. Dec 24, 2010 9:03 AM (in response to Bhayz)

Good job folks.

Today was W9D2.  Boy was it windy.  I really should have put on a hat, my ears were freezing.  But I got warmed up quickly and the wind was just mildly annoying.  Ended up running 34 minutes for 2.8 miles.  Sure is easier to get a quicker speed on the treadmill.  I hit a point where I was almost ready to walk a bit, but I got behind a guy that was running at a speed that I probably should run and I paced off him.  Worked great.  I kept an eye on my 305 every time I felt that I was getting really tired and saw that this always coincided with my heart rate getting in the 160+ range, so I would slow it down a little more and keep an eye on the 305 to make sure my heart rate was dropping still.  Seemed to work pretty well.

Greg

Upcoming races:

Dec 23, 2010
    5,305. Dec 24, 2010 2:17 PM (in response to Wideguy)

This is the first time I've run without a rest day in between. I couldn't figure out how to work in a run tomorrow.   It went surprisingly well - my average pace was 30 sec/m faster.
    So, that's Weeek 8 Day 3 done - on to Week 9 Monday!

Dec 14, 2007
    5,306. Dec 24, 2010 3:02 PM (in response to gdsmit1)

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE HERE!

• yogabudorunner Legend 292 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    5,307. Dec 25, 2010 1:44 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Hi guys!

Happy Holidays to all.

I haven't posted in a while.  Not entirely sure how long it's been.  But I've been a little crazy with the holidays and my husband has been off work this week (a good thing!)..

I didn't run for a week, due to a leg thing..  I tried to run Monday, but ended up walking it.  It's alright.  Probably needed the rest.  .

I ran 5 today.  1:12.  I'm happy.  My last 5 was 1:14  Hey there Christmas PR.  YAY..

I did more intervals today run/walk as I felt unsure how my leg would feel.  It was freezing and windy and I really wanted to quit.  But I finished the miles as per my Half training plan.  I'm hoping to be able to run my full plan this week.  I've discovered that the more I use the foam roller, the better I feel.  My shin splints seem to be going away.  YAY!  Even with the up in distance, all good.

Here's a foto of my awesome Newts with my super rad snowflake socks from today's run.  The second foto is my frozen face after the miles were done.  The third is a foto of my gorgeous boys this morning before we opened gifts.

socks.jpg

run5.jpg

xmas10.jpg

Happy Holidays everyone!  I'm going to try to be more active here.  I hope you all are well!!!

Best,

R

SwimBikeRen

Yogini

Budoka

SwimBikeRUN!!!

Triathlete in training. 

2010 Turkey Trot Houston 5K:  46:00
    Austin Half Marathon:  Finished 3:06:18

Bayou City Classic 10K:  Finished 1:22:27
    TriGirl Super Sprint Triathlon (5/8/11)

The greatest journeys answer questions that, in the beginning, you didn't even think to ask.

Sep 20, 2010
    5,308. Dec 26, 2010 8:57 AM (in response to yogabudorunner)

WooHoo!!!

Graduation run today.  I did my normal route.  No walking at all.  No parades or fanfare, but I did raise my arms a la Rocky.

Now to figure out what to shoot for next.  I'm really thinking that I'm just going to continue the regular route every other day for a little while.  I'm still pretty tired at the end of my run.  I'd like to get to the point where I finish the run and not be completely worn out.  Maybe do this for a month or so and then look at other running plans.

One other thing, got on the scale this morning and it was down to 201.5.  When I drop below 200, you guys aren't going to kick me out of the tread, are you?

Greg

Upcoming races:

Sep 20, 2010
    5,309. Dec 26, 2010 9:17 AM (in response to gdsmit1)

Forgot to mention that I saw my first pair of VFFs on the trail today.  I didn't notice them as the guy was running towards me the first time.  I was busy looking at the odd shorts.  Now keep in mind it was 27F and really windy.  On the way back, he was running towards me again and I noticed the all black VFFs.

Interesting that he wasn't freezing.  There were also people playing hockey on the pond that I run around.

Greg

Upcoming races:

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...